NCL - Is this a deal or just marketing trick!

VelvetSkeeter

Just now, BirdTravels said:

Again, the price is the price, regardless of what “deal” is used to get there. Tens of thousands of people sail each week using one “deal” or another. We do. 

I understand the price is the price. When I was looking at the summary as it was the same prices as always or with with no deal. Doesn't mean they should use deceptive advertising. When it is always  the deal price - then that is just the price. No need to do the "sale ends" countdown. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Nothing deceptive about it if you look at brochure rates which no one ever pays but which are advertised. 

I get it, It is never 4k a person. It is always 2k a person so they just use whatever marketing to flash for that week because some folks need to feel they are getting a deal.  Like when JCPenny's stopped have sales and just listed the sale price all the time for every item -  they lost money. Then they brought back the constant "sales" that made the items the same price anyway. Consumers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

Does it matter?  The price you see for total due is the price you will get.  Shop the price against other cruise lines with similar itineraries and ships.  If NCL is a better deal than the other lines, book NCL.  If they are not the best deal, book with another cruise line.  

I am not really going by the better deal. I just thought it was weird because it was the same exact price - deal or no deal

I am starting to get the feeling that cruising might not be right for you if this advertising upsets you.  All the major cruise lines have a sale with a countdown.  The countdown expires and either the deal gets extended or a new deal is offered but the price never changes(well it does sometimes but usually up).  

image.thumb.png.f3e804ba44eb3f8c3c04cf4996eda2dd.png

image.png.c07bd40b9f17a30ffa1e2cf8c2fa0b16.png

image.png.c1a1870380355bb5932e7ba57a9a7974.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

What are newbies falling for.  Its not like they book the cruise for one price and then all of a sudden they owe double after they book.  With anything, people are going to make a purchase if they are comfortable with the price.  I am not going to buy a $5000 tv just because Best Buy is advertising it as 50% off.  I might buy the $1,000 tv whether or not its advertised as on sale.  

•  

I bought a OLED TV at Best Buy for 5k! But Best Buy  didn't say hey - this TV is now 50% off, 3 days only!!! Then I get there, ring it up, and it is still 5k lol.   That is really all I am saying. Just stop pretending to give me some phantom made up deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

I am starting to get the feeling that cruising might not be right for you if this advertising upsets you.  All the major cruise lines have a sale with a countdown.  The countdown expires and either the deal gets extended or a new deal is offered but the price never changes(well it does sometimes but usually up).  

image.thumb.png.f3e804ba44eb3f8c3c04cf4996eda2dd.png

image.png.c07bd40b9f17a30ffa1e2cf8c2fa0b16.png

image.png.c1a1870380355bb5932e7ba57a9a7974.png

I've cruised many times, don't worry about me. Cruising is for me , folks like you are not.
Also many lines I compared over the years and just recently I can actually see the offer they are advertising reflected in the price. I just didn't see that here on the NCL advert. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Could also be that the misunderstanding may partially be a result of concentrating on posting retorts instead of reading/listening/learning.

What did you teach me oh wise skipper except that you are probably pain to be around. Your post said nothing .  Judging from the post you are not someone I would want to learn from as you seem like someone that has a lot to learn.  Feel free to leave this thread and bother someone else.

Edited by VelvetSkeeter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

What did you teach me oh wise skipper except that you are probably pain to be around. Your post said nothing .  Judging from the post you are not someone I would want to learn from as you seem like someone that has a lot to learn.  Feel free to leave this thread and bother someone else.

There is no teaching you. You are the one who is not "understanding" yet you feel better complaining rather than learning. You really aren't looking to learn as much as you are looking to whine about what you admittedly do not understand. The fact is that there are many people here and only the person trying to retort and insult is the one not understanding. I'm not trying to teach...I'm happier watching you flounder. 

12 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

There is no teaching you. You are the one who is not "understanding" yet you feel better complaining rather than learning. You really aren't looking to learn as much as you are looking to whine about what you admittedly do not understand. The fact is that there are many people here and only the person trying to retort and insult is the one not understanding. I'm not trying to teach...I'm happier watching you flounder. 

What do I not understand and what did you teach me?

4 hours ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

I guess the marketing worked in that regard.

And, this.

Don’t get sucked into the “word war” with some of these posters.  It is a sale if you paid brochure price…but as you said…who does that!?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, laudergayle said:

And, this.

Don’t get sucked into the “word war” with some of these posters.  It is a sale if you paid brochure price…but as you said…who does that!?!

Yeah, you are right lol!  This is a forum to post topics and have conversations.  If someone doesn't like the topic or question someone posted then they can scroll past!  But as we all know, any post on Social Media will alway be food for some Trolls. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

What do I not understand and what did you teach me?

See post #1 for the first part.

Don't bother looking for the second part as I said I was NOT teaching you anything. (Hey...there's another thing you didn't understand)

31 minutes ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

If someone doesn't like the topic or question someone posted then they can scroll past! 

As can you, no?

4 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

What are newbies falling for.  Its not like they book the cruise for one price and then all of a sudden they owe double after they book.  With anything, people are going to make a purchase if they are comfortable with the price.  I am not going to buy a $5000 tv just because Best Buy is advertising it as 50% off.  I might buy the $1,000 tv whether or not its advertised as on sale.  

•  

The marketing is designed (as was Jos. A Bank and others) to instill a sense of urgency.  They are led to believe that if they don't book today their price is going to double.  Most people posting here regularly know better but then it's not designed for us.  And if it wasn't at least somewhat effective, NCL wouldn't be doing it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

LOL , this is my post!  You saw the party,  invited yourself in,  peed in the punch, and then asked the host to leave! Classic!   lol

Nailed it....Good job.

Edited by NJGeorge
  • Like 1

To the poster a page back or so that said booked NCL Air Plan as it was so good and wouldn't miss the Ship.  WRONG,  If  Your flights gets delayed or canceled, the Ship is going without you.  May wait for an hour or two at the most if a sufficient number of passengers involved.

3 hours ago, NJGeorge said:

Nailed it....Good job.

This + 1

And, OP, feel free to make use of the Ignore option - of course, indirectly, poster(s) being ignored can still show up b/c someone else jump on it & started quoting and replying, etc. 

Back on topic, lately - we are also seeing those 10% discount tossed in, showing up only when logged into MyNCL account, apparently targeted selectively.  NCL cruise consultants also coming up with 15% additional discount offers, good on "any cruise" (of course, always read & understand the fine prints & disclosures, restrictions, etc. etc.) 

There's also the Latitudes TRIPLE UP offers coming from TA mass emails, apparently valid & available also directly via NCL ... not going into details to help promote it.  Google is often ... 

Always do mock bookings and calculate the numbers to see if they add up or deduct correctly, click-bait wordings can be easily misleading, unintentionally, for your convenience, of course.   

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Next thing you're going to do is tell me that no one ever pays the rack rate at a hotel. 

I'd like to think of myself as savvy.  I cruise a fair amount (Sapphire) on NCL.  But these marketing slights of hand extend to some of the Latitudes tier benefits.  For instance, there's a nice discount on Internet.  Problem is, it's on the "rack rate" Internet that nobody with a FAS package would ever purchase.  Not to mention the Platinum concierge benefit (and presumably the pre-cruise service desk; never noticed/tried that one.)  

At this point, I know most of the gimmicks and roll my eyes.  I'm just amazed at how effective it must be if NCL is still doing it.  As with anything else, Caveat Emptor.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

If NCL advertises it, it's not a deal.

We never break the bank on a vacation.  On our first cruises, we paid by the drink and paid for specialty dining.  Now they are included in our cruise fare, and we overall are getting a better deal.  NCL does advertise this. 😎

• Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 1:15 PM, VelvetSkeeter said:

I did the math - it is the same price as when I was looking and they didn't; thave this "deal".  Which is why asked if maybe the summary was wrong and didn't; account for it.  

I had written down the prices on a few cruises before the sale and now it is about $2000 more.........some sale.

• Like 1