‘Just Back’ from 31-Day South American Cruise on the Oosterdam.

GeorgeCharlie

In conversations with people who had taken the 4x4 tour to Volunteer Point, it seemed to be unanimous in that they had a terrific time. 

Many had not previously experienced serious offroad travel and viewed it as an adventure trip, especially when they got stuck and had to be pulled out.

Even setting aside the complaints of five adults (including driver) being crammed into a small vehicle for an extended length of time – some even said they would do it again.🤣

• Like 1

The answers are:

Going west from Stanley, you would first reach Argentina.

Going east from Stanley, you would first reach Chile.

The furthest south settlement in the Falkland Islands is on Sea Lion Island. Travelling west in a straight line, would have you passing through the Strait of Magellan just south of mainland Argentina, and first arriving on land in Chile. So in this case it doesn't matter if you go either west, or east - you're going to Chile.😉

• Like 2

@GeorgeCharlieThank you for your detailed trip report. I appreciate your private tour info. We are thinking about booking a cruise on the Oosterdam which includes Antarctica in January 2024.  What do you think is a better embarkation port, Santiago or Buenos Aires?  I was wondering if east to west or west to east made a difference in the Drake channel too.

Edited by 0106

1 minute ago, 0106 said:

@GeorgeCharlieThank you for your detailed trip report. I appreciate your private tour info. We are thinking about booking a cruise on the Oosterdam which includes Antarctica in January 2024.  What do yo think is a better embarkation port, Santiago or Buenos Aires?  I was wondering if East to west or west to east made a difference in the Drake channel too.

Unfortunately I not much help, as we have not embarked in either Santiago, or Buenos Aries, nor have we taken an Antarctica cruise.

Maybe try posting your questions to the South America/Antarctica Ports of Call.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 11:37 AM, GeorgeCharlie said:

Missed including the picture of the helicopter sitting on the top of the rise.

image.thumb.jpeg.74ce3c69334e8970cd7e44271f7cd806.jpeg

You will also note the sheep grazing amongst the penguins, as Volunteer Point is part of a working sheep farm. Almost all of the land in the Falklands is privately owned and the owners charge the tour companies an access fees.  

I just love this photo! The composition is seemingly so unlikely- penguins, a helicopter, sheep...couldn't dream that one up if I tried!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have done the BsAs to FLL via the west coast and Santiago to BsAs via Antarctica.  One needs to know that the port for Santiago is San Antonio - very small and about a 1.5 hour drive from Santiago.  The port was closed when we arrived, and the O-dam didn't dock until noon or so.  This was not a major problem for those debarking as flights to the north leave in the early evening.  At most, they missed their wine tasting opportunity.  We sat in a converted warehouse with minimal amenities until about 4 to board.  BsAs is much larger, and the port is in town - short taxi ride except for those caught up in the World Cup celebration. The port is a huge industrial port that can accomodate several cruise ships.  On our first day, there were three cruise ships in port.  Personally, I would start in BsAs as there is so much to do including Iguazu Falls which are not to be missed.  It is easier to time your arrival for boarding. The port calls in Montevideo and Punta del Este are not all that exciting and are followed by a sea day to recover.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 9:07 AM, 0106 said:

@GeorgeCharlieThank you for your detailed trip report. I appreciate your private tour info. We are thinking about booking a cruise on the Oosterdam which includes Antarctica in January 2024.  What do you think is a better embarkation port, Santiago or Buenos Aires?  I was wondering if east to west or west to east made a difference in the Drake channel too.

We just came off the Oosterdam, 14 days from Chile to Buenos Aires, what a fantastic trip and we lucked out by getting to visit all the ports, and all of our excursions came off (weather was bad in Punta Arenas and only one boat made it across the Strait to see the penguins).

Anyway, you asked about embarkation and our experience in Valparaiso was awful. Got there at 11.20 for an 11am boarding (Uber drivers there have no idea how to get to the terminal, a 6 min ride took 40) and thanks to a computer malfunction and completely clueless staff we got on at 2.30. Others I am sure waited 4 hrs or more, it was a complete shambles, no communication as to what was going on, just a longer and longer line no matter what your boarding time or priority.

btw If you do take the cruise in this direction, be on the port side. Everything was on the port side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/13/2023 at 1:07 PM, 0106 said:

We are in Oosterdam now heading to Santiago from Buenos Aires.  Embarkation in BA was a nightmare last week, during the late AM. Costa and Seabourn also had embarkations that morning which made the process a big mess, with some functions of bag drop and security and holding areas intermingling the three groups, which seemed to cause more confusion.  They were calling groups by numbers and by letters, and everyone seemed to be stretched thin.  But once on board, was fine.  The port in BA is industrial, so you need to be bussed to the gate FYI.  You can’t just come and go on foot, and the nearby area is pretty rough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

@GeorgeCharlie thank you so much for your detailed trip report!! DH and I are booked for the Ft Lauderdale to Santiago leg this fall on the Oosterdam. Wondering if you recall which days were the formal nights on the cruise? We really enjoy the formal nights but also want to book the specialty dining so hoping not to conflict!!  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dawn

1 hour ago, dawnvip said:

@GeorgeCharlie thank you so much for your detailed trip report!! DH and I are booked for the Ft Lauderdale to Santiago leg this fall on the Oosterdam. Wondering if you recall which days were the formal nights on the cruise? We really enjoy the formal nights but also want to book the specialty dining so hoping not to conflict!!  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dawn

Hi Dawn.

Reviewing the daily programs shows the following "Dressy" days for the first (17 day) segment.

Nov 20th - day 2 of the cruise and first sea day.

Nov 26th - day 8 and a sea day.

Dec 03rd - day 15 and a sea day.

Have a great cruise.🤠

Cheers, Bill 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, from what time could you get off the ship please on the day you were in Panama (Fuerto Amador), the day after completing the canal and docking please?  We are not sure how early we dare book a tour for.  Thanks so much, Dianne from Australia

2 hours ago, goingnorth123 said:

Hi, from what time could you get off the ship please on the day you were in Panama (Fuerto Amador), the day after completing the canal and docking please?  We are not sure how early we dare book a tour for.  Thanks so much, Dianne from Australia

Hi Dianne & welcome to Cruise Critic🤠

From what I can tell the Cruise Terminal is still under construction, which means things are likely disorganized. I suggest you try to find out from you tour operator as to what their experiences have been regarding picking up people at the cruise terminal. They're the ones on the ground and therefore should have the most current knowledge.

Also try checking out the Panama Canal Ports-of-Call board, which usually have other people commenting on this port.

Such as - 

1 hour ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Hi Dianne & welcome to Cruise Critic🤠

From what I can tell the Cruise Terminal is still under construction, which means things are likely disorganized. I suggest you try to find out from you tour operator as to what their experiences have been regarding picking up people at the cruise terminal. They're the ones on the ground and therefore should have the most current knowledge.

Also try checking out the Panama Canal Ports-of-Call board, which usually have other people commenting on this port.

Such as - 

Thanks so much for getting back to me so fast and for all your wonderful advice 🙂