‘Just Back’ from 31-Day South American Cruise on the Oosterdam.

GeorgeCharlie

Finally made it back home last week from a wonderful South American cruise onboard the Oosterdam.

We left Miami (was originally supposed to be Fort Lauderdale) on November 19th and disembarked in Buenos Aires on December 20th.

image.jpeg.f407809bed28410fb4d3e5778a1ef4e4.jpeg

We did not depart Miami until quite late. One of the reasons I heard for the delay was that the Oosterdam had to be recertified by the American authorities. This required everybody (including staff) leave the ship while a full inspection was performed. I understand this inspection even included the lowering and testing of all lifeboats.

While onboard I tried to do an ongoing “Live" report, but I did not have much success due to poor internet connections. Therefore, I will now attempt a complete cruise review and hopefully, including many photos.

Overall, we found the cruise interesting, as almost all the ports were new to us and we didn’t experience any of the anticipated ‘early spring’ nasty weather. We made it into all the ports and surprisingly - even the Falkland Islands. I just noticed that the Oosterdam, on it’s return trip around the Horn, was to visit Falkland Islands a few days ago, but was not able to do so, due to bad weather.

Regrettably, we found almost all aspects of the shipboard experiences to be disappointing. Regardless, we travel for the destinations and, as such, we would readily recommend the cruise to other people - as it had a great itinerary. 😎

• Like 7

Welcome home. I am sorry to hear about staffing.  We had terrific staff and got off when you got on but I know that some of the best were getting off and new were coming on..

Such a shame as our staff for our TA were very good although I did change tables for better service in the MDR.

That’s a lovely itinerary.  DH and I really enjoyed it when we did it.

So sorry to read about your disappointment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a couple of sea days, we arrived in Aruba. 

We have previously visited Aruba, so we just went ashore to walk around for a while.

The port is in the downtown area of Oranjestad. There was a shuttle bus to the port entrance gate, which was a bit of a joke, as it was only a about a 5-minute drive. When we returned to the ship we walked it, which was likely quicker. The bus main value is likely with people who have trouble walking.

We also took a ride on their tram, which does a loop through the downtown area and functions in a hop-on/hop-off mode. It is a free service.

Tram.thumb.jpg.7cf5e5fb724054bc6fbd760e33df882f.jpg

Streetcar route.

image.thumb.jpeg.90b0fcd6a9e96cfe22d5c01a850668e6.jpeg

• Like 5

After Aruba, we did a full transit of the Panama Canal. We were followed through the first set of locks (Cristobal) by the Eurodam. After passing through the locks, we did not see the Eurodam again, so it must of must have been doing just a partial transit of the canal.

Eurodam.jpg.dd595018341c5a7656a3c5733cec142c.jpg

Eurodam2.jpg.3cf0b11d0c25fe5bb045d9db78a33ce5.jpg

We have previously done a transit of the canal, so it was a oh-hum passage for us.

But fortunately for the other people on the ship, there were two excellent speakers (Jim McParland and Tom Goltz) onboard who gave talks on Panama, including the history and construction of the canal. They also did running commentary while we were passing through the canal. 

When we were approaching the Balboa Locks, we started noting lots a Panamanian flags flying, along with crowds of people celebrating.  

image.jpeg.61148d37d0eedce74d4a950ba2059493.jpeg

image.jpeg.89b87ee68f4405a3832a0b6341d76592.jpeg

Apparently, it was the start of their long weekend celebrating Panama's Independence Day, which is on November 28th. each year. It celebrates the independence of Panama from Spain in 1821.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

A few days after our Panama transit, we received the following certificate.

image.jpeg.b531051d93bb9d4be517d2b5dacc32b3.jpeg

Coincidently, it was also our first East to West passage through the canal. 

Cool.  We got an "Order of the Blue Nose" when we went north of the Arctic Circle.  We have transited the canal, but we didn't get a certificate!

• Like 2

Looking forward to hearing about your cruise in detail. I followed your Almost Live blog as well. We are sailing the opposite of your cruise and depart BA on 10 March 2023. I would like to know how the passage was for Cape Horn, Glacier Alley, Beagle Channel and that whole area as you recall your voyage. Thanks for doing this! It is a great help in our preparation!

Jim

• Like 2

Can u PLEASE please get a special greeting to JIM MCPARLAND  From Rick and Lorraine from Saskatchewan. So wish we were on board with you right now but we are doing the South Pacific in February. Enjoy making wonderful cruising memories!!

On 12/30/2022 at 2:21 PM, seeriteR said:

Looking forward to hearing about your cruise in detail. I followed your Almost Live blog as well. We are sailing the opposite of your cruise and depart BA on 10 March 2023. I would like to know how the passage was for Cape Horn, Glacier Alley, Beagle Channel and that whole area as you recall your voyage. Thanks for doing this! It is a great help in our preparation!

Jim

Will be covering these areas later in my review. As a quick overview, we had great weather throughout the entire cruise, with only an odd shower now and then.

20 hours ago, 00649 said:

Can u PLEASE please get a special greeting to JIM MCPARLAND  From Rick and Lorraine from Saskatchewan. So wish we were on board with you right now but we are doing the South Pacific in February. Enjoy making wonderful cruising memories!!

We are no longer on the ship, but maybe you can try contacting @cruisn71, who is presently on the ship.

On 12/29/2022 at 6:43 PM, GeorgeCharlie said:

Food, entertainment, & staffing. I'll expand on our opinions regarding these issues, as I proceed with the review.

During the cruise we had the opportunity to chat with Ali (Food Services Director) about the ongoing staffing and food quality issues. His straightforward answers and explanations did a lot to ease my concerns with HAL and showed they were really trying to get ahead of the situations. 

We did notice an uptick in food quality on the second segment of the cruise.

Just the same, I am in agreement with his position, that it will take at least two more years before most of the issues related to staffing and supply chain quantity/quality reach acceptable levels.

I discussed at length about some of these issues in my Somewhat 'Life' Review, which I did while on board.

If you have any further questions/comments related to what was happening on the ship, I ask that you post to the Somewhat "Live" review, as I would like to keep this review limited to what we experienced off the ship. 

• Like 1

After we passed through the locks, we then sailed over to Fuerte Amador, where they are building Panama City's new cruise terminal. 

Along the way we sailed by the Frank Gehry designed biodiversity museum, which focuses on the natural history of Panama.

image.jpeg.e9f8596ef0f47616498981094b08b17e.jpeg

• Like 3

Panama City's new cruise terminal is 'work-in-progress', as it has been for several years - and from what I could see, it will be lucky if it is finished by the end of this year!

The only area that is mostly completed is the pier. The terminal building, along with access roads and parking areas are still under construction. With the whole area being a construction zone, the only way off the ship was by shuttle. This requirement caused much grief for people who were on independent tours.

Seeing we were staying in port overnight, we arranged for a private tour to pick us up at 8am. The tour guide notified me at 7am that he was waiting at the port pick-up point. Unfortunately, the ship/port authorities had other ideas.

They had lined up all the ship shore excursion buses on the pier, which meant the shuttle buses to get everyone else who wanted to go ashore were unable to get on the pier until all the shore excursion buses were gone.

image.jpeg.36b9ba6202ca6fc6be97d4887e561550.jpeg

This meant we did not get to the tour pick up point until late morning. So, our full day tour became a rushed half day tour. Needless to say, there were many unhappy passengers!

• Like 1

We were dropped off at the Flamenco Marina, which is right beside the new terminal complex. This is where tendered cruise ship passengers are normally taken. From there you can meet your tour guide, catch the 'hop-on hop-off' bus, or take a taxi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After finally getting to the tour pick up point, we set off on a tour to one of the local native Embera villages.

It was a private tour for six people by a local native guide. He was highly recommended by several past Cruise Critic reviewers, along with top rating on TripAdvisor. Our experience with him certainly backed up his ratings.

The owner/guide is well recognized as providing a truly unique & authentic travel experience. He grew up in an Embera village and was further educated in the USA , receiving training in Natural Resources. He is trilingual in Embera, Spanish, and English.

His website is Embera Village Tours – Embera Tours Panama

One of the TripAdvisor's reviews of the guide can be seen here.

After about a one-hour drive, we arrived at the river where we boarded a dugout canoe. And no, we did not have to paddle,

image.jpeg.a6cfdc7f0017d6509ed7ac484fb25e8d.jpeg

as it had an outboard motor!

It was about a 45-minute trip to the village, which was interesting, but the low wooden seats were extremely uncomfortable for us older folks.

image.jpeg.ea2af36fbda22aef28d6c6b40ae59d9b.jpeg

• Like 1

Arriving at the Emberapuru Village we were welcomed to the Embera community with a local music performance.  The village has a population of 128 people.

image.jpeg.52d7f649b973b7b798aafbb181caa98e.jpeg

We then we had some time to use the local ‘facilities’. 

image.thumb.jpeg.97c8726c29fa79a7c42fa369eef335a7.jpeg

Then, in the local round-house community center we received some various talks regarding the Embera Culture, hand craft as iron wood, Tagua carving, process of weaving baskets, tradition lifestyles, body painting, & education.

Lining the inside of the building were tables displaying the local handcrafts, which were, of course, available for purchase.

image.jpeg.920d062c08ad4d7226bb18fc3ce55993.jpeg

• Like 2

One item they carve is the Tagua nut, which comes from the Ivory Palm. This palm tree is considered to be endangered due to the fact it only grows in South America. Once the nut is dried it exhibits the same features of ivory - colour, texture, density, and overall look.

The Tagua nut in its natural form.

image.thumb.jpeg.47a454d47e03543bbf0d767305aafdce.jpeg

The nut at various stages of carving.

image.jpeg.77622a651da37995ece4c0862e1a5832.jpeg

• Like 3

They also carve items out of ironwood.

Carver demonstrating ironwood carving. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c137d1c88f852f1bf759bb6e53e49179.jpeg

What his carving looks like in its rough-cut form.

image.thumb.jpeg.a77de78677a620cb3bead33311bd08bf.jpeg

After many, many hours of cutting and polishing, they end up producing a work of fine art.

image.jpeg.a45c62e646dd3be48523a23b90aaef71.jpeg

This is the hummingbird statue we purchased. It is about 5 inches tall and is carved out of a single piece of ironwood.

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Like 6

We then enjoyed some local Embera food (fried plantain, fried fresh catch tylapia, fruits and a bottle of water) wrapped in leaf – the ultimate disposable food container. The food was very tasty. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e805231c024277d752223c4d55bc2eb0.jpeg

We then had the chance to walk about the village, along with perusing the crafts tables for any items we may be interested in buying.

image.jpeg.81f5815656e43e266c08e314effd174f.jpeg

• Like 3