Trans Atlantic temperatures

Tsunami74

We are taking our first trans Atlantic cruise on the Riviera in late March. Miami to Madiera, Portugal

For anyone who has crossed the Atlantic, what should we expect temperature wise?

If we would want to walk the deck, would we need winter coats?  I have no idea what temps we should expect! ( And no city site to google for weather.)

We did the reverse from Barcelona in November.  Once we went through the Straits of Gibraltar, the ship beelined south and after a day or so it was pool weather the entire way across.  I imagine it will be tropical until the last few days for you.  The Canaries and Funchal are usually in the low 70’s in March.

1 hour ago, Orator said:

I would be concerned with losing a hour a day for 6 days rather than the weather. I'd rather go westbound where a would gain a hour each day for 6 days. 

Having done transAtlantic cruises in both directions, it really makes little difference in either direction, your results may vary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orator said:

I would be concerned with losing a hour a day for 6 days rather than the weather. I'd rather go westbound where a would gain a hour each day for 6 days. 

If  we ever do a TA  again I will try the westbound one

I was so tired by the time we got to Southampton ..of course several days of rough seas/rain/snow  that kept us indoors did not help matters

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

POSH

it is  a sailing term  but then it depends  on where home is  LOL

Yes, this is the source for the word POSH.
In the days of the British empire, when travel between England and India was by steamship, the best cabins were always port (going) over (to India and) starboard (returning) home (to England).
however, this was due to the lack of air conditioning and therefore passengers were trying to avoid the hot sun. So it might not be exactly relevant to transatlantic travel these days.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

Why do you say this "shepherd really"   Port Out/ Starboard Home?

11 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Yes, this is the source for the word POSH.
In the days of the British empire, when travel between England and India was by steamship, the best cabins were always port (going) over (to India and) starboard (returning) home (to England).
however, this was due to the lack of air conditioning and therefore passengers were trying to avoid the hot sun. So it might not be exactly relevant to transatlantic travel these days.

However from Southampton to New York being on the port side gives you more sun, which for a cold north Atlantic crossing is a nice bonus.   So that's my story and I'm sticking with it.  😉