My 16 year old daughters 1st Cruise

wolft927

Well hello everyone and I hope everyone has had a merry Christmas and going to have a happy New Year! So My wife and I are very Frequent Cruisers but this will be the first cruise we are taking our 16 year old on a cruise. It will be my wife and I along with our daughter and one of her friends. We are sailing on the Norwegian Escape December 2nd 2023 out of Port Canaveral. I am looking for advise on a few things to make this very very memorable for her and her friend. 

First off, we originally booked a Club Balcony Suite with large balcony for the 4 of us. Our past 2 cruises my wife and I have won bids for the Haven ( Forward Facing Haven Suite and the 2 bedroom Haven Suite) So Yesterday I said the heck with it and upgraded us to the Forward Facing Haven Suite mainly for the extra room, private bedroom and honestly I have become so spoiled with staying in the Haven that I am not sure I will ever go back lol.

I would like ideas for how we can make this cruise as memorable for both the kids as possible as well as surprise them with some things before and during the cruise. My wife and I are going to try and do our best not to let them know that we are staying in the Haven....easier said then done. Both kids are Starbucks fans so thinking of unlimited Starbucks throughout would be a start. We are doing Paradise Beach in Cozumel and Duns River Falls in Ocho Rios. Great stir-up Cay is obviously a beach day. Grand Cayman not sure yet. 

So any ideas of little things we can do to cabin, pre night stay in Port Canaveral and other things during cruise would be greatly appreciated.  Only 338 days to go lol

• Like 1

Your daughter is lucky to be bringing a friend and staying in the Haven.  They'll both have a great time...mostly being away from the parents and hanging out with the new friends they'll make.  I highly, highly recommend signing-up for the teen club on the first day and have them attend the first night. 

Thereafter, they'll have made initial introductions and split into groups of friends.

We'd bring my daughter, that age, on cruises and that was the drill.  She loved it.  She's still "friends" with many of those other kids years later on social media.

• Like 1

My very independent 17-year-old daughter (echoing gen-X latchkey me) would say: point me to the teen club and enjoy your vacation and I'll see you next week!

Along those same lines, when we took our teenagers on a cruise last year, we booked a standard-sized room for ourselves and booked the kids a separate room nearby.

That said, we probably give our kids wider berth than many people.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Well hello everyone and I hope everyone has had a merry Christmas and going to have a happy New Year! So My wife and I are very Frequent Cruisers but this will be the first cruise we are taking our 16 year old on a cruise. It will be my wife and I along with our daughter and one of her friends. We are sailing on the Norwegian Escape December 2nd 2023 out of Port Canaveral. I am looking for advise on a few things to make this very very memorable for her and her friend. 

First off, we originally booked a Club Balcony Suite with large balcony for the 4 of us. Our past 2 cruises my wife and I have won bids for the Haven ( Forward Facing Haven Suite and the 2 bedroom Haven Suite) So Yesterday I said the heck with it and upgraded us to the Forward Facing Haven Suite mainly for the extra room, private bedroom and honestly I have become so spoiled with staying in the Haven that I am not sure I will ever go back lol.

I would like ideas for how we can make this cruise as memorable for both the kids as possible as well as surprise them with some things before and during the cruise. My wife and I are going to try and do our best not to let them know that we are staying in the Haven....easier said then done. Both kids are Starbucks fans so thinking of unlimited Starbucks throughout would be a start. We are doing Paradise Beach in Cozumel and Duns River Falls in Ocho Rios. Great stir-up Cay is obviously a beach day. Grand Cayman not sure yet. 

So any ideas of little things we can do to cabin, pre night stay in Port Canaveral and other things during cruise would be greatly appreciated.  Only 338 days to go lol

First, triple check that you have all of the right NCL forms and authorizations, and medical power of attorney for the friend.

Next, as soon as you embark, enroll the kids in the Entourage teens club and make sure that they attend on the first night (that is when cruise-long friends are made - don’t want to be the “outsiders” if they start later in the cruise).

After that, the kids will set the schedule based on what the other teens on the ship are doing. They will be on autopilot and you set established meeting times (e.g., meet in room for dinner at 6 pm). There will probably be nights that pizza in the buffet with the teen group will trump steak and lobster in the Haven Restaurant.

Have a great cruise!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Both kids are Starbucks fans so thinking of unlimited Starbucks throughout would be a start.

NCL's website makes the unlimited Starbucks package available for 18 and up only.  I have been unable to purchase it for my 16 year old daughter.  If you do manage to get it for your 16s, let me know how you do it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spenecer said:

NCL's website makes the unlimited Starbucks package available for 18 and up only.  I have been unable to purchase it for my 16 year old daughter.  If you do manage to get it for your 16s, let me know how you do it.

I've read other posts that state that the Starbucks package is 18 and older. I wonder if there will be a situation where a signed/approved parental consent would allow the purchase of the package similar to the old Corks and Caps package was allowed for the "almost 21" children.  Under 18 can obviously buy individual Starbucks but I wonder if there is a way for under 21 to get a package of their own. 

Have taken now 20 year old daughter on 3 cruises. Last was with a friend almost 3 years ago(last cruise before Covid). Unlike most, she has had no interest teen club. They had a great time doing their own thing every day. We had dinner together every night and did some shows and comedians together. We got the Bon Voyage(I think that's what it's called)decoration package for their adjoining cabin. They loved that. Also got the unlimited sodas for them and let them charge whatever Starbucks and treats they wanted to my room account.  Enjoy!!

We have taken our 24, 21, and 15 y/o daughters on several cruises.  Honestly, it depends on her personality.  One wanted to  hang out with us, the other two were like, "Bye!."  I did have my (then) 17 y/o be asked out on a date within 20 minutes of boarding. :)

I echo the suggestion to get her to the Teen Club on the first night.  We've found that some lines do the clubs better than others.  Although hubby and I have been on NCL, we've not taken the kids on NCL.  That happens in May (see signature).  I am interested if my 16 y/o will be  interested in NCL's teen club.  She has enjoyed others.  She also loved the stage shows.

She may like Duck Hunting?  Mine always liked finding them and handing them off to litlles to see theur joy, or hiding them in the most oddball of places.  lol

https://lifewellcruised.com/cruising-ducks/#:~:text=Cruising ducks are usually small,personality with fun themed ducks.

Have a great time!!

Oh, and also - get them a personalized cruise door magnet for their room.  You can order one all over - from Etsy to Amazon.  They are cute, memorable and make it easier to find one's room.  

Just be careful about putting their first names out there, as this could be a safety concern. And avoid pineapples. 😉

3 hours ago, poohbare19 said:

You can give them each a $75-$100 Starbucks gift cards to use on the ship

And THIS is why it pays to browse threads, even if they probably don't apply to me.  I am not bringing teens, but DID I  just learn that we can use gift cards at the Starbucks? That is so good to know.  We have the FAS basic drink package, but Uncle Fanny  was disappointed to know he can't use it at Starbucks.  I am soooo buying him a big GC for the coffee drinks.

On 12/30/2022 at 2:45 PM, WFarm said:

Have taken now 20 year old daughter on 3 cruises. Last was with a friend almost 3 years ago(last cruise before Covid). Unlike most, she has had no interest teen club. They had a great time doing their own thing every day. We had dinner together every night and did some shows and comedians together. We got the Bon Voyage(I think that's what it's called)decoration package for their adjoining cabin. They loved that. Also got the unlimited sodas for them and let them charge whatever Starbucks and treats they wanted to my room account.  Enjoy!!

I should mention my daughter will be 17 at sailing and her friend will be 18 so no issue with legality stuff. They are very independent and I am sure will not take advantage of any teen stuff especially since the friend can’t partake. I also heard conflicting reports on Starbucks gift cards so I think we will simply put onboard credit on there cards. We also are going to have the Bon Voyage decorations set up on embarkation day for them. My wife and I love doing all the slides and stuff which I am sure our daughter will be laughing at us lol.  I think they are going to love almost feeling like adults, but knowing we are paying lol

1 hour ago, wolft927 said:

I should mention my daughter will be 17 at sailing and her friend will be 18 so no issue with legality stuff. They are very independent and I am sure will not take advantage of any teen stuff especially since the friend can’t partake.

Well, as you mention with these ages, no teen club.  That's good she's got a friend with her.  I've found that the "in-between" 17-21 year old age range is a bit of a challenge for my kids when bringing them along on a cruise.

Duns River Falls would be my first choice in Jamaica for a 17 year old.  Depending on her interests, please note that Dolphin Cove is one minute away from Duns River Falls.  They have lots of hands on experiences with animals.  Scotchies had really good authentic local food.

In Grand Cayman, we visited the stingrays and the turtle farm which is great if you like stingrays and turtles, but if they aren't interested in animals that's not your best choice.  In Grand Cayman we were at the turtle farm and asked one of the ship tour drivers how we could get back to the port.  They kindly invited us to join the ship's excursion bus back to the port, and we met everyone on the ship tour,  which had spent most of the day visiting different rum factories and then ended up at the turtle farm.  Everyone was very drunk and very happy.  So lots of options!

It was a great idea taking a friend, and I'm sure they will have a  wonderful time no matter what you choose to do in the ports.

Edited by kitkat343

6 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Duns River Falls would be my first choice in Jamaica for a 17 year old.  Depending on her interests, please note that Dolphin Cove is one minute away from Duns River Falls.  They have lots of hands on experiences with animals.  Scotchies had really good authentic local food.

In Grand Cayman, we visited the stingrays and the turtle farm which is great if you like stingrays and turtles, but if they aren't interested in animals that's not your best choice.  In Grand Cayman we were at the turtle farm and asked one of the ship tour drivers how we could get back to the port.  They kindly invited us to join the ship's excursion bus back to the port, and we met everyone on the ship tour,  which had spent most of the day visiting different rum factories and then ended up at the turtle farm.  Everyone was very drunk and very happy.  So lots of options!

It was a great idea taking a friend, and I'm sure they will have a  wonderful time no matter what you choose to do in the ports.

We have done sting ray City before,  it I think grand cayman we will simply walk do a little shopping and have a local lunch!

We are doing Paradise Beach in Cozumel and Duns River Falls in Ocho Rios. Great stir-up Cay is obviously a beach day. Grand Cayman not sure yet. 

I can't help you with any of the teen stuff except for recommending what to do in Grand Cayman.  Personally I would research on the Ports of Call for Grand Cayman and get a recommendation for a private excursion to Stingray City.  The private tours are always less crowded and usually get more time to do the fun things you want to do.  Because of CRS or brain fog from NY at the moment I can't think of the one we have used several times but if I do I will come back.  Anyway we do it every time we go to GC - even stayed there a week once and had to go.

1 hour ago, wolft927 said:

I should mention my daughter will be 17 at sailing and her friend will be 18 so no issue with legality stuff. They are very independent and I am sure will not take advantage of any teen stuff especially since the friend can’t partake. I also heard conflicting reports on Starbucks gift cards so I think we will simply put onboard credit on there cards. We also are going to have the Bon Voyage decorations set up on embarkation day for them. My wife and I love doing all the slides and stuff which I am sure our daughter will be laughing at us lol.  I think they are going to love almost feeling like adults, but knowing we are paying lol

You will be on the Escape which has a 'real' Starbucks so will be able to use a GC or the app. The OBC is a good idea but if they use it for anything else, then it will lessen what they can spend in Starbucks. Enjoy your cruise!

2 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

You will be on the Escape which has a 'real' Starbucks so will be able to use a GC or the app. The OBC is a good idea but if they use it for anything else, then it will lessen what they can spend in Starbucks. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks, not sure why I would even use onboard credit since all there cards are linked to my onboard account lol!