Sold out ship - Royal Up

ElizaSTN

1 hour ago, DukeASUGirl said:

But there was a Suite Royal Up offer on the website for me when we checked it in mid-September (and I bid on it), about 2 weeks before the cruise.

Most reports would indicate that’s an anomaly. 

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

It varies.  From an OV gty this week on Jewel of the Seas, I was invited to bid on one full suite (the 2 BR window suite) as well as balconies and upgraded OV cabin.  RCI.

On Explorer in Jan we booked a balcony guarantee. Still not assigned but able to bid on Spacious Balcony, JS, Grand Suite and 2 bedroom Grand Suite. (3rd cruise in a B3B)

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Most reports would indicate that’s an anomaly. 

Yeah, yet the inconsistencies continue.  It did seem odd that I couldn’t bid on a JS but I could bid on 2BR window suite🤔  
I won a balcony, not the suite.

Actually I can imagine a justification.  Window suites are a niche; many people in balcony and JS may not bid on a window suite as they are unwilling to part with their balconies.  OTOH,  people in OV cabins are currently sailing without balconies and thus may be more amenable.  That’s just a guess.

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I won a balcony, not the suite.

Most reporting suggests the "norm" is that the offers are limited to two major cabin categories above your existing category and most wins are for one category above the booked one (except maybe Q class where inside to balcony seems somewhat common).

Edited by Biker19

14 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Most reporting suggests the "norm" is that the offers are limited to two major cabin categories above your existing category and most wins are for one category above the booked one (except maybe Q class where inside to balcony seems somewhat common).

I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m just reporting that select suite bidding invitations are still going out to lower categories.  Royal’s other norm is inconsistency😀

We booked this week’s cruise well after final payment.  By that time that 2 BR window suite was booked.  Unless that person canceled, our RoyalUp suite bid could not succeed, so I knew my odds were very low.  Balconies were also sold out when I booked, but there are lots of balconies.  Thus the odds of a balcony cancellation are much, much higher.  The airline fiasco is probably responsible for our RoyalUp win.  Much as I am enjoying the balcony, I am sorry that somebody else lost out.

I was just notified that my Royal Up was accepted to a J3 Junior Suite when the website shows all categories as Wait Listed.  Cruise departs 13 Jan.

Question:  Will I get double points?

Edited by Wineaux007

On 12/30/2022 at 12:46 PM, ElizaSTN said:

Hi all - new to Royal.  we just booked a last minute cruise on EoS in February to join a larger family group…hadn’t planned on going but changed our mind.  We got the last cabin available - an inside.  

Even though the sailing is no longer available to book on the website I just got a Royal Up email to bid on a number of different cabin classes.  Is this something they do in case there are last minute cancellations or is there a chance some upgrades could be available?  I dread the inside cabin but don’t want to have false hope. 

thanks!!

Are you on the Feb 3 cruise by any chance?  If so, we are as well. I also bid on an upgrade because...you never know.  🙂  

24 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I was just notified that my Royal Up was accepted to a J3 Junior Suite when the website shows all categories as Wait Listed.  Cruise departs 13 Jan.

No double points for Royal Up upgrades if you previous cabin wasn't a suite

1 minute ago, Wineaux007 said:

Sorry to hear that since we will be just 7 points shy after this sailing to reach 340.

I wouldn't worry about it, you'll have a JR Suite! Enjoy it!

Winning a Royal UP is pretty rare these days.

Edited by carlosalonsor

55 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Congrats but No double points..

11 hours ago, carlosalonsor said:

No double points for Royal Up upgrades if you previous cabin wasn't a suite

11 hours ago, as3369 said:

Congrats but No double points..

Not by the rules, but it does occasionally happen, speaking from personal experience.  Just don't count on it happening, and consider yourself lucky if it does.

47 minutes ago, ce_cruise said:

We purchased our cruise on Allure OTS through Vacations to go. Since I did not purchase my cruise through RCI i will not be offered a Royal Up. Is that correct?

The majority of travel agencies participate in the RoyalUp program; their clients thus can participate.  The big one that does not stats with C (we are not supposed to name travel agents per CruiseCritic rules).  I have not heard whether yours does or does not.

Once in a while somebody is not offered the chance to bid on a particular reservation for unknown reasons no matter how they booked.