Buckeye94 as LIVE as I can be: Infinity 2 Jan 2023 Patagonia and Argentina

Buckeye94

On 1/4/2023 at 10:48 PM, gizmodog said:

Thank you for the review of dining. Ocean view at dinner it is being said has been cut back to hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza  and salad bar, wondering what you observed.

also do you feel the ship is looking old? Thoughts on your cabin.

glad you are having fun, really enjoying your post.

I've made it up to Oceanview a couple times around dinner. They have much more than hamburgers, hotdogs, and pizza. In addition to the salad bar, they have a prepared salad station, and tonight, they have a Caesar salad station.

20230106_181916.thumb.jpg.f58e06f3cd42425acb18cbc769f7193f.jpg

There's a Chefs Selection station. One night, it was Caribbean food, another night German, steak, chicken, fish entrees. There's a pasta station.

20230106_182010.thumb.jpg.eeead90e314dd0a10520ed762deee130.jpg

20230106_182022.thumb.jpg.e6e867abe79f124bbb9eaa94fcd7ebe5.jpg

20230107_212854.thumb.jpg.6571fdffe8813b8cbde16c5ef7457bc2.jpg

You won't get hungry or be stuck with pool bar food if you choose not to dine in a restaurant. 😀

20230106_182045.thumb.jpg.87b685d4a2b65dc1e0f2d16da1db62f2.jpg

Julie

Edited by Buckeye94
OMG, how do i remove duplicate photos?!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We made it around Cape Horn! Unbelievably calm seas! 

20230109_065914.thumb.jpg.767914b7ce98335f59f8d6453b2d364f.jpg

20230109_070658.thumb.jpg.a4b1917a08ae792747db3561c1d93695.jpg20230109_070724.thumb.jpg.38334a7106a38ec4111ce827d329f267.jpg20230109_062022.thumb.jpg.e0025bbbbbcecab2befa4e7bc1c245cd.jpg20230109_062422.thumb.jpg.f70a795cac4ba0c0c7040048592a27eb.jpg20230109_071246.thumb.jpg.7333ee891d538f10cace379556a3e962.jpg

I had told my family about the rough seas as the Pacific and Atlantic oceans collide, the history of shipwrecks, and even about the Viking Polaris being hit by a rogue wave (incidentally, still docked in Ushuaia). I had to take pictures of the navigation channel and screenshots of Google Maps as proof that I was here!  😂 We were very fortunate to have such calm weather and to be able to circumnavigate Isla Hornos.

It was also nice to see crew coming out onto the decks to take photos. They were as excited as we all were. 

20230109_070801.thumb.jpg.4d92ab59614d3307cb135d82dc43dc22.jpg

Julie

Screenshot_20230109-065013_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230109-065748_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230109-064143_Maps.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Buckeye94 said:

So far we have tendered at every port. We will dock tomorrow in Puerto Madryn.

They have improved the tendering process since Puerto Montt where we waited in long lines for over an hour. Last tender was supposed to be at 5:30, but I still saw tenders heading back to the port at about 7:00. Since then, lines have moved much better, but I don't know if that's due to passenger behavior, staggered excursion returns, or more tenders.

Thank you for the reply! Are there stairs to go into the tenders? Sorry for so many questions! I'm trying to book excursions, but Celebrity won't give me details about the tendering 😤

4 minutes ago, Iriel said:

Thank you for the reply! Are there stairs to go into the tenders? Sorry for so many questions! I'm trying to book excursions, but Celebrity won't give me details about the tendering 😤

Yes, there have been steps to the tender platform. I don't recall if there was a ramp option. I remember a walker and maybe a wheelchair on the tender, but I didn't see the passenger with the chair to know their mobility and ease of getting on and off the tender. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the dangling and sometimes duplicate photos. I think I'm deleting them, but when I hit submit, they reappear. I've tried editing posts, but they are still there! 🤷

I know you all know where Cape Horn is and don't need my Google Map screenshots! 😂 🤦

19 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Yes, it is a sight to behold if you never have seen it before.  I lived in the Bay Area for a summer and I don't remember the lack of fireflies.  Too many other things to see for me I guess.  They wouldn't like the weather you are having of late!

It's something you don't miss unless looking for them.   I believe they need moist climates to breed and you know what are summers are like -- bone dry.    I think they would love our current weather. 

9 hours ago, Buckeye94 said:

Fireflies! 💕 I enjoy summer nights on my porch watching them.

Has anyone here gone to TN to see the synchronous fireflies? Pre-pandemic I was in the lottery a couple of years, but never got tickets.

https://www.pigeonforge.com/synchronous-fireflies/

That is where I first saw Fireflies.   

My relatives on my Mother's side moved to Blount and  Sevier Counties back in the 1790's and remained there since.   Pigeon Forge is a great area (the entrance to Gattlingberg and the Great Smokies).    After my Grandfather passed we donated a log cabin to be moved to a historical site at Pigeon Forge. 

Really showing my age but remember seeing Dolly Parton long before she was famous at local places and on local TV. 

• Like 2

You outdid yourself with your photo uploads.    What a fantastic tribute to you wonderful cruise.   You have me sitting here remembering our visits to most of the same places.  

I love it when you see how many of the crew are just as excited as you to see something new in their life.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is where I first saw Fireflies.   

My relatives on my Mother's side moved to Blount and  Sevier Counties back in the 1790's and remained there since.   Pigeon Forge is a great area (the entrance to Gattlingberg and the Great Smokies).    After my Grandfather passed we donated a log cabin to be moved to a historical site at Pigeon Forge. 

Really showing my age but remember seeing Dolly Parton long before she was famous at local places and on local TV. 

I grew up in East TN. It’s wild the things you take for granted when you grow up with them. 

5 hours ago, Buckeye94 said:

Yes, there have been steps to the tender platform. I don't recall if there was a ramp option. I remember a walker and maybe a wheelchair on the tender, but I didn't see the passenger with the chair to know their mobility and ease of getting on and off the tender. 

Thank you so much! You're very sweet and helpful! 🥹

On 1/4/2023 at 11:49 PM, Buckeye94 said:

Dinner! Wowza! 

Had a lovely chat with the woman surviving the Select Dining people without reservations. (I came back to fix this autocorrect error, but it is too good as is. I meant seating, not surviving! 😂)  I wanted to dine alone tonight. "Oh, a romantic table for 1? " Me: "Haha, YES, I deserve it." Careful what you joke about...center stage, bottom of the grand staircase!  Tomorrow night if I get this table, I will ask to sit with my back to the steps facing out presiding over the MDR! Royal wave! 😜

20230104_200524.thumb.jpg.09b25de425db7959cd4c4315ae7d67ec.jpg

Sommelier no where to be found. The waiter, assistant waiter, and maître d' all attempted to send a sommelier over to my table. Finally, at the last bite of my appetizer, he arrived. He

recommended a pinot noir with the seafood orzo.

Entree looked nice. Overcooked. The squid was like eating a rubber band and the orzo was gummy. Ugh, I know better than to order pasta! 

But, tonight is my favorite dessert night. I get to eat a decadent dessert and apparently be healthy. I thought this was a typo on Eclipse years ago, but it's always here. Chocolate lava cake, caramelized bananas, coffee ice cream, and caramel with a green check mark indicating Fit Fare! YES! I can have two! It's healthy, right? Must be the bananas. 😂

20230104_200445-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.b33de72929ba03599999a23e354938a1.jpg

Alas, bubble burst when there was no lava. Womp, womp. Tastes great, but not the expectation.

20230104_201341.thumb.jpg.f51bc1bb4fc2040347b0acc66476df70.jpg20230104_201402.thumb.jpg.932b04ed80f8a3e668244d0d04db9675.jpg

Eka at Cellar Masters has not disappointed me yet, so I'm off to compose my notes on the room, ship, and service so far at Cellar Masters.

If I lose wifi, I'll see you on the other side...literally.

We were so disappointed with the sommelier service on several days in Apex’s four MDRs on our September cruise to Israel. We don’t like to complain but it was ridiculous. Eventually, we were dealt with by the MDR’s manager and it was sorted to our satisfaction. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Buckeye94 said:

I've made it up to Oceanview a couple times around dinner. They have much more than hamburgers, hotdogs, and pizza. In addition to the salad bar, they have a prepared salad station, and tonight, they have a Caesar salad station.

20230106_181916.thumb.jpg.f58e06f3cd42425acb18cbc769f7193f.jpg

There's a Chefs Selection station. One night, it was Caribbean food, another night German, steak, chicken, fish entrees. There's a pasta station.

20230106_182010.thumb.jpg.eeead90e314dd0a10520ed762deee130.jpg

20230106_182022.thumb.jpg.e6e867abe79f124bbb9eaa94fcd7ebe5.jpg

20230107_212854.thumb.jpg.6571fdffe8813b8cbde16c5ef7457bc2.jpg

You won't get hungry or be stuck with pool bar food if you choose not to dine in a restaurant. 😀

20230106_182045.thumb.jpg.87b685d4a2b65dc1e0f2d16da1db62f2.jpg

Julie

Glad to see that some reports on CC of Celebrity moving to a gruel-based buffet for dinner may have been blown slightly out of proportion. This looks... completely reasonable?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/31/2022 at 8:49 AM, JintyGirl said:

I’m looking forward to this! We’re contemplating South America for March 24. If anyone has done this cruise in March before, can you let me know what to expect weather wise? Will it be jackets, hats and gloves at the Cape? And shorts  and T-shirts in Buenos Aries? 

We were on the last viable Celebrity cruise on the Eclipse as COVID hit.  Boarded the Eclipse on March 1st - Buenos Aries to Santiago, Chile. 

Did Iguazu for a few days beforehand. We used Tours by Locals because their tour allowed us to visit both sides in one day.  We stayed at the Hotel Viale.  OK rooms, GREAT roof top bar overlooking Foz do Iguacu. DO NOT MISS the Brazil side.

When we landed in Brazil - they had just had their first case.  March 14th - cruising stopped and we were to be booted off our B2B to San Diego, except Chile wouldn't let us in.  Had a free cruise back to the US and got off March 30 as scheduled.

The weather in March was lovely in BA.  Iguazu was hot.  As we got around the horn to Ushuia we needed light jackets.  Weather wise it was a slam dunk and a great way to get outta winter in NJ.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Glad to see that some reports on CC of Celebrity moving to a gruel-based buffet for dinner may have been blown slightly out of proportion. This looks... completely reasonable?

Except that the cheese options were only cheddar and provolone. That's it. Barely passable.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arubamoose said:

We were on the last viable Celebrity cruise on the Eclipse as COVID hit.  Boarded the Eclipse on March 1st - Buenos Aries to Santiago, Chile.

When we landed in Brazil - they had just had their first case.  March 14th - cruising stopped and we were to be booted off our B2B to San Diego, except Chile wouldn't let us in.  Had a free cruise back to the US and got off March 30 as planned.

Cruise Director Alejandro told us all about your free cruise back to the California! There are pictures! 😂😜

"Ale-handsome" has been great! He gave a morning presentation discussing how Celebrity handled that last cruise. Eclipse was the only ship with passengers! And, on March 30 when most passengers disembarked, the Argentinean passengers couldn't until their visa situation was resolved. 

I was very impressed by the way Celebrity and a whole host of countries helped as they could during a very difficult time.

In the afternoon, he shared his path to becoming a Cruise Director. Very funny, engaging guy. I think I've sailed with him before and found him to be a bit much, but he's much more balanced now. 

• Like 1

Last(ish) call for questions!  I've got one more sea day before Montevideo and then BA. Any questions I've missed?

Ooh, I don't remember who asked, but Gede is staying on. Ketut, Novi, Harta, Juan, and Juliantara are the other Martini Bar bartenders (BUSY night tonight) Haven't seen Adi. Gede and Ketut are the main guys.

23 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

Thanks again.  How was the internet around Cape Horn?

It's been hit or miss. Sometimes, I can't connect in my cabin (deck 7), but I'll go to a lounge and connect immediately. I'm assuming weather impacts it, and we've had very favorable weather. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Could you comment a bit on your experience as a solo traveler (unless ofc you are saving that for a "summary post").  It seems you are having a lovely time, but are there any lessons learned? Favorite moments as a solo?  Anything you'd like to share will be greatly appreciated.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Could you comment a bit on your experience as a solo traveler (unless ofc you are saving that for a "summary post").  It seems you are having a lovely time, but are there any lessons learned? Favorite moments as a solo?  Anything you'd like to share will be greatly appreciated.

I love sailing solo!

Some musings...

1. I am free to do what I want when I want. I can't tell you how many couples or groups I've seen at breakfast planning their day trying to agree on activities. Or, the time I traveled with a group and while they debated excursions on our planning conference call, I booked what I wanted to do before they sold out. Note to those people: Just do your own thing and share stories at dinner. Decide what experiences you must share and then explore and share.

2. I can choose to dine alone or share a table. I've met wonderful people at shared tables, but sometimes I like to dine alone. I'm an introvert and it can be overwhelming to be in constant group conversation. Another benefit of dining alone? You get the whole butter and dip tray to yourself so double dip and take all the breadsticks! 😀 (I am composing this at dinner as I take ALL the parmesan spread.)

3. Tip: Bring something with you to hold your table. A sweater, a notepad, a book, something. When you score a prime table on the aft deck, but want to grab a waffle, you need a way to hold your space.

4. The closet is all yours! The cabin is all yours! I sailed with my sister once, the only time I've shared a cabin. I love her dearly, and we've traveled together but separately since then, but never again I the same room. Favorite quote from that trip: (at JFK on the way home; dramatically drop bags and face off) "Let's agree right here, right now that we will NEVER do the Amazing Race together!" "AGREED!" 😀 I love her! We really are good friends! 😍

5. You are motivated to meet new people whether at the bar, dinner, Roll Call (Hi, Jan!), or on excursions. 

6. Someone is expecting you back. This gives my family some peace. If I was traveling around Europe by myself, they would rely on my communications home. If I don't return to the ship, my sister will get a call as my emergency contact.

7. Cruising is ideal for solo travel. As much as I'd like to spend time traversing Europe. The idea of navigating trains alone with my luggage, or driving, or a bus tour (shore excursions are enough), raises my anxiety, especially with my limited Spanish and German language skills). The  Captain does the "driving" and I can retreat to my balcony whenever I want. 

8. Be prepared for people to be surprised and express how brave you are. I'm not brave. I'm single. What's the alternative? I'm not waiting around to live life. And that's really it. Don't be afraid. Embrace the opportunity. See the world. Bring a good book.

Now, about that solo supplement...ugh.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the quick reply!  I had a good laugh about sisters: I too have learned it's best NOT to share a room with my sister! 😉

I did my first solo trip last summer and I agree with much of what you said, especially about the freedom of designing your day, and cruising being a good way to go solo.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

MDR Lobster update! 

At the end of dinner tonight, my waiter came over, rather sheepishly, to inform me of the charge for extra lobster entrees tomorrow night. I felt bad for him. He felt so relieved when I told him that I was aware of the change and I wasn't taking it out on him.

Good news, if you ask for a lobster tail in addition to your steak entree, for example, no charge. Only a charge for 2+ lobster tails/entrees.

• Like 4