LIVE from Emerald Princess Panama Canal FLL-LA 1/2-1/17 2023

sonomaphil

5 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

Blue is $25.  Are we in?

Even though Blue isn't a single malt it is really tasty. I'm too poor to buy Blue (usually around $175 a bottle) but I had a friend who used to buy it and liked to share it with me. Very nice stuff. I've just never been impressed with the Black and the Red is pretty much just plain bad. I guess if one likes to use Scotch in a mixed drink it might be okay but that isn't how Scotch should be consumed. I'm annoyed by the lousy Scotch they provide with the Elite setup. Pure swill.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sonomaphil said:

Princess proprietary blend from Woodford Reserve.  And for some reason they don't sell it by the bottle!

Did you try this? Is it better than the "standard" Woodford Reserve they serve on the ship? I gave Woodward multiple tries on our most recent cruise because I had a hard time tracking down Bulleit. When they finally got some Bulleit for me I switched in a heartbeat. The Woodford has a nice bottle and all but it's much "harsher" than Bulleit. Partly it's because the Bulleit Bourbon has a high rye content in the mash bill. (I love the Bulleit Rye but they didn't seem to have it anywhere.)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Did you try this? Is it better than the "standard" Woodford Reserve they serve on the ship? I gave Woodward multiple tries on our most recent cruise because I had a hard time tracking down Bulleit. When they finally got some Bulleit for me I switched in a heartbeat. The Woodford has a nice bottle and all but it's much "harsher" than Bulleit. Partly it's because the Bulleit Bourbon has a high rye content in the mash bill. (I love the Bulleit Rye but they didn't seem to have it anywhere.)

Now we have to agree to disagree. Woodford is my go to "house" bourbon and I find it smoother and more flavorful than Bulleit!  Bulleit is advertised onboard but it's nowhere to be found. The PCL Woodford has a little more honey flavor and I do like it.  I'm trying to figure out if Premier is worth it.  There is no Premier gin onboard. The Botanist is on the menu for $18 but alas, no. 

Your moment of zen, Woodford PCL Manhattan pic. 

PXL_20230115_030159502.PORTRAIT.jpg

Edited by sonomaphil
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Even though Blue isn't a single malt it is really tasty. I'm too poor to buy Blue (usually around $175 a bottle) but I had a friend who used to buy it and liked to share it with me. Very nice stuff. I've just never been impressed with the Black and the Red is pretty much just plain bad. I guess if one likes to use Scotch in a mixed drink it might be okay but that isn't how Scotch should be consumed. I'm annoyed by the lousy Scotch they provide with the Elite setup. Pure swill.

Works fine in a Godfather. A go to after-dinner drink of mine. A $25 Godfather would be overkill! 

13 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

Now we have to agree to disagree. Woodford is my go to "house" bourbon and I find it smoother and more flavorful than Bulleit!  Bulleit is advertised onboard but it's nowhere to be found. The PCL Woodford has a little more honey flavor and I do like it.  I'm trying to figure out if Premier is worth it.  There is no Premier gin onboard. The Botanist is on the menu for $18 but alas, no. 

PXL_20230115_030159502.PORTRAIT.jpg

And my go to for a Manhattan is Buffalo Trace,  Bulliet number 2

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

I found Bulleit on Deck 16 forward in a bar that opens late and closes early. I left a note at passenger services for the food and beverage manager asking to have it moved down to Good Spirits. A couple of days later I spotted it there and they said, "Ah! So you're the one." They then put a note on it and stuck it under the counter in a closed cupboard for me. I also found it at Vines. Yep, Vines. The wine steward there asked what we wanted and I said it was actually the wrong bar for what I wanted. He asked what that was and when I said, "Bulleit, double, straight up" he said no problem. He left for a minute or two and returned with a bottle that he kept there afterwards. It was also possible to get it from Room Service which I did several times. It pays to ask. 😎

As for a Manhattan... GAH!!! No thank you. Bourbon is a straight up drink for me.

4 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

Works fine in a Godfather. A go to after-dinner drink of mine. A $25 Godfather would be overkill! 

Once again, GAH!!! While it would be better than a Manhattan I don't like to pollute my bourbon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

And my go to for a Manhattan is Buffalo Trace,  Bulliet number 2

I tried. I really tried to like Manhattans but every time I tried it I thought it was terrible. I gave Buffalo Trace a good try for a while a year or so ago. It was fine but I'm a Bulleit guy. It really must be the Rye in the mash bill that does it for me. I love a good Rye Whiskey. Sadly, Princess doesn't seem to carry a good Rye. They seem to only carry one brand and I've given it several chances to prove itself to me but it has failed every time.

People are all different with different tastes which is good. If everybody was like me it would be a terrible world.

2 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

Buffalo Trace is peaking out at Crooners right now. When I say "Live" I mean it. 

Wish I was there and we could do "comparative sampling" of the various libations available. 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I tried. I really tried to like Manhattans but every time I tried it I thought it was terrible. I gave Buffalo Trace a good try for a while a year or so ago. It was fine but I'm a Bulleit guy. It really must be the Rye in the mash bill that does it for me. I love a good Rye Whiskey. Sadly, Princess doesn't seem to carry a good Rye. They seem to only carry one brand and I've given it several chances to prove itself to me but it has failed every time.

People are all different with different tastes which is good. If everybody was like me it would be a terrible world.

Sazerac rye for me.  It appears all they have onboard is Jack Daniels Rye. 

11 minutes ago, Robbie555 said:

Was this as part of the golf tournament?

Have you won a Princess medal yet by winning a sports tournament?

No, we were just randomly wandering this morning before we go to the Sanctuary this afternoon.  

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

I found Bulleit on Deck 16 forward in a bar that opens late and closes early. I left a note at passenger services for the food and beverage manager asking to have it moved down to Good Spirits. A couple of days later I spotted it there and they said, "Ah! So you're the one." They then put a note on it and stuck it under the counter in a closed cupboard for me. I also found it at Vines. Yep, Vines. The wine steward there asked what we wanted and I said it was actually the wrong bar for what I wanted. He asked what that was and when I said, "Bulleit, double, straight up" he said no problem. He left for a minute or two and returned with a bottle that he kept there afterwards. It was also possible to get it from Room Service which I did several times. It pays to ask. 😎

As for a Manhattan... GAH!!! No thank you. Bourbon is a straight up drink for me.

Once again, GAH!!! While it would be better than a Manhattan I don't like to pollute my bourbon.

Try having it made with just a touch of vermouth. Like put a tiny amount in the glass swish around and dump out. You get just a hint of vermouth flavor not the medicinal taste. Every cruise I have to “educate” bartenders. Also stirred not shaken keeps the ice shards to a minimum and our course up not on the rocks

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

Try having it made with just a touch of vermouth. Like put a tiny amount in the glass swish around and dump out. You get just a hint of vermouth flavor not the medicinal taste. Every cruise I have to “educate” bartenders. Also stirred not shaken keeps the ice shards to a minimum and our course up not on the rocks

Brand of vermouth is a big one too.  Onboard it's cheap Rossi I believe.  At home I always use Dolin or Noilly Pratt, makes a huge difference.  

16 hours ago, sonomaphil said:

Anyone want to share a bottle of Petrus with us? We can split the cost. 

PXL_20230115_015227407.PORTRAIT.jpg

A couple years ago I was chatting with the headwaiter in a Sabatini's, and I asked him if anybody had ever purchased a bottle of the Petrus.

Only once.  A group ordered multiple bottles.

In answer to your question, I'm going to decline.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sonomaphil said:

PXL_20230115_015432687.PORTRAIT.jpg

What was the verdict on the Mussel Pot?  That is Mrs. XBGuy's Crown Grill favorite.  I appreciate the fact that, apparently, other people order it, and, so, it stays on the menu.  

1 minute ago, XBGuy said:

What was the verdict on the Mussel Pot?  That is Mrs. XBGuy's Crown Grill favorite.  I appreciate the fact that, apparently, other people order it, and, so, it stays on the menu.  

I'll let Mrs. Sonomaphil answer this as she ordered it.   Hi~ I'm a big fan of mussels and it was delicious!  Would definitely recommend it!

• Thanks 1