Does this plan look good or need tweaking?

NCteacherlovescruising

It’s a long way off, June 2024, so plenty of time for tweaking. We will debark the Celebrity Equinox on Saturday, June 22.  No idea when we will get to Rome.

Day 1 in Rome- taxi to Albergo del Senato hotel. Leave luggage with hotel if we can’t checkin early. Visit the Pantheon, Trevi fountain, and Spanish steps- self guided 

Day 2 (Sunday) - 3 hour Tour with Marisa- Colosseum and Forum

https://www.romewithmarisa.com/tour-item/ancient-rome-basic-tour/

Day 3 (Monday) -  3 hour Tour with Marisa - Vatican/Sistine Chapel https://www.romewithmarisa.com/tour-item/private-tour-of-the-vatican-museums-and-sistine-chapel/ 

These are the main attractions we’d like to visit. 

Or could we do this over Saturday and Sunday, then head to Venice for a couple days Monday morning?  I believe the Vatican Museum tour would have to be either Saturday or Monday, due to them being closed on Sunday. Not sure if we will make it to Rome and drop off our luggage off in time to do it Saturday, but the tours are only 3 hours. It seems like we could squeeze it all into 2 days, but I could be wrong. That would be perfect so we could also visit Venice. 

Thoughts?  I’d love input from those that have been there. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

After being on a cruise already where you'll be on the go, give yourselves permission to go at a slower pace in Rome. As I said in another post, it makes sense to spend 3 days doing the main sites in Rome. As you do further research, you'll find that the Colosseum, Forum, Vatican, are all just scratching the surface of things to see in Rome.

Near the Colosseum and Forum is Palatine Hill (where the imperial residence was), plus the amazing Baths of Caracalla, and of course the Circus Maximus. There are also the other imperial forums (including a great museum), Trajan's Column and Market, and the Capitoline Museum with wonderful treasures from ancient Rome.  If that's not enough, there are also churches worth a visit, such as the Basilica of San Clemente, with three levels of "history" from three different time periods. 

And if you are doing the Vatican, you may also want to climb the dome of St. Peters. Actually, reading the description of your tour, it doesn't include St. Peter's, so you want to set aside time for that also. And while you're nearby, a visit to Castel Sant'Angelo is also a great idea. (It was featured in the Dan Brown book -- and movie -- "Angels and Demons" and was the tomb of an emperor and the fortress of popes.)

Another option on your Vatican day might be some time strolling the neighborhood of Trastevere, with some more outstanding churches (Santa Maria in Trastevere, Santa Cecilia in Trastevere) and some great food options as well. Read up on it.

And in Center, on your first day, don't miss Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori and the Jewish Ghetto. And also consider the Ara Pacis (Altar of Peace) nearby as well as the lovely church Santa Maria sopra Minerva that is just a few steps from the Pantheon and your hotel.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

After being on a cruise already where you'll be on the go, give yourselves permission to go at a slower pace in Rome. As I said in another post, it makes sense to spend 3 days doing the main sites in Rome. As you do further research, you'll find that the Colosseum, Forum, Vatican, are all just scratching the surface of things to see in Rome.

Near the Colosseum and Forum is Palatine Hill (where the imperial residence was), plus the amazing Baths of Caracalla, and of course the Circus Maximus. There are also the other imperial forums (including a great museum), Trajan's Column and Market, and the Capitoline Museum with wonderful treasures from ancient Rome.  If that's not enough, there are also churches worth a visit, such as the Basilica of San Clemente, with three levels of "history" from three different time periods. 

And if you are doing the Vatican, you may also want to climb the dome of St. Peters. Actually, reading the description of your tour, it doesn't include St. Peter's, so you want to set aside time for that also. And while you're nearby, a visit to Castel Sant'Angelo is also a great idea. (It was featured in the Dan Brown book -- and movie -- "Angels and Demons" and was the tomb of an emperor and the fortress of popes.)

Another option on your Vatican day might be some time strolling the neighborhood of Trastevere, with some more outstanding churches (Santa Maria in Trastevere, Santa Cecilia in Trastevere) and some great food options as well. Read up on it. 

And in Center, on your first day, don't miss Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori and the Jewish Ghetto. And also consider the Ara Pacis (Altar of Peace) nearby as well as the lovely church Santa Maria sopra Minerva that is just a few steps from the Pantheon and your hotel.

I intentionally picked a cruise that has a couple sea days, days 2 and 8 of 9, so we would have time to relax as well. We aren’t the type that would want to walk around all day!  My neuropathy and plantar fasciitis would act up. However, I wouldn’t want to sit in our hotel for hours either. I’m thinking long leisurely meals where we can people watch or have a beautiful view would be perfect, then back to it again. I’ll also want to do some shopping for sure!  And eat gelato!!

She has this tour that includes Palatine Hill with them. Do you think we should switch?  https://www.romewithmarisa.com/tour-item/ancient-rome-extensive-tour/  She has several others as well, including full day tours but I thought a full day walking tour might be a bit too much. I just picked two that had the main things I was interested in seeing. We started watching YouTube videos to get a better idea of what we want to see and so while there. As for Trastevere, we had considered staying in an apartment there but someone (don’t recall who) made it sound too far to walk to the sites so we decided to stay at a hotel instead. 

What type of budget would we be looking at to do 2 days in Barcelona, 3 in Rome and 2 in Venice, including premium economy flights?  I believe the hotel (Hotel Jazz) in Barcelona is comparably priced to Albergo del Senato.  I have no idea how much we will spend on food and transportation. I also heard Venice is expensive but haven’t even begun to research anything there yet. I think we’re also getting a hotel for our overnight in Florence, based on feedback about the distance from the port. 

I greatly appreciate all your help!  You have been one of the most valuable resources I’ve had on Cruise Critic. 

14 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I intentionally picked a cruise that has a couple sea days, days 2 and 8 of 9, so we would have time to relax as well. We aren’t the type that would want to walk around all day!  My neuropathy and plantar fasciitis would act up. However, I wouldn’t want to sit in our hotel for hours either. I’m thinking long leisurely meals where we can people watch or have a beautiful view would be perfect, then back to it again. I’ll also want to do some shopping for sure!  And eat gelato!!

She has this tour that includes Palatine Hill with them. Do you think we should switch?  https://www.romewithmarisa.com/tour-item/ancient-rome-extensive-tour/  She has several others as well, including full day tours but I thought a full day walking tour might be a bit too much. I just picked two that had the main things I was interested in seeing. We started watching YouTube videos to get a better idea of what we want to see and so while there. As for Trastevere, we had considered staying in an apartment there but someone (don’t recall who) made it sound too far to walk to the sites so we decided to stay at a hotel instead. 

What type of budget would we be looking at to do 2 days in Barcelona, 3 in Rome and 2 in Venice, including premium economy flights?  I believe the hotel (Hotel Jazz) in Barcelona is comparably priced to Albergo del Senato.  I have no idea how much we will spend on food and transportation. I also heard Venice is expensive but haven’t even begun to research anything there yet. I think we’re also getting a hotel for our overnight in Florence, based on feedback about the distance from the port. 

I greatly appreciate all your help!  You have been one of the most valuable resources I’ve had on Cruise Critic. 

I'm going to type fast as I'm expected elsewhere this morning -- can fill in more later....

I think the tours you picked cover the "BIG" things -- the ones that really need explaining. I might consider switching out the one for the Colosseum and Forum with the more intensive one as Palatine Hill can be a bit difficult to make sense of without a guide or some reading/notes.  The other places mentioned can just be discovery visits on your own, if desired. Read up on them and if they interest you, put them on your list -- you don't need to do them all on a first visit. 😁. I'm just throwing out options that would work well paired with your other main visits on those days.

I probably said Trastevere was not the best place to base yourselves, but it is still worth considering as a visit if you're tired of all the ornate churches, museums and ruins. I am not a big fan of food tours but if you are into them, Trastevere would be an area to consider one.

Most Italian hotels include breakfast (including cappucino and espresso) with your room. I would plan on eating a relatively fast lunch (pizza or panini type of thing) which wouldn't be too expensive -- the problem with a sit-down lunch in Italy is that there is really no rushing it.  However if you need the break, then some restaurants offer a lunch special of 2-3 courses for a fixed price.  I would say if you do the quick option it would be $10-15 per person including a beverage. For dinner, budget $25 to $40 per person depending on your choices for a medium type restaurant (not including wine) and more like $50-75 for a splurge place.

And yes, budget for gelato too!

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

We watched more videos based on your suggestions and have made the following changes:

Day 1 in Rome- taxi to Albergo del Senato hotel. Leave luggage with hotel if we can’t check-in early. Visit the Pantheon, Trevi fountain, and Spanish steps- self guided 

Day 2 (Sunday) - Change the 3 hour Tour with Marisa- Colosseum and Forum to the 4 hours tour that also includes Palatine Hill https://www.romewithmarisa.com/tour-item/ancient-rome-extensive-tour/

Day 3 (Monday) -  3 hour Tour with Marisa - Vatican/Sistine Chapel https://www.romewithmarisa.com/tour-item/private-tour-of-the-vatican-museums-and-sistine-chapel/   - We will go to St. Peters after the tour.  We will take the elevator.  lol

The Capitoline Museum looks like something we'd enjoy.  Which day should we add it?  Is it near our hotel or spots were visiting day 1?

Plaza Navona is a maybe if we find time to fit it in.  Is it near anything we plan to see?  A girl does have to make time for shopping!!

By the way, Marisa is an archeologist and has excavated at the forum.  Her specialty is Roman history and ancient architecture.  She loves photography so I'm hoping she will get some great shots of us at these places!

31 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm going to type fast as I'm expected elsewhere this morning -- can fill in more later....

I think the tours you picked cover the "BIG" things -- the ones that really need explaining. I might consider switching out the one for the Colosseum and Forum with the more intensive one as Palatine Hill can be a bit difficult to make sense of without a guide or some reading/notes.  The other places mentioned can just be discovery visits on your own, if desired. Read up on them and if they interest you, put them on your list -- you don't need to do them all on a first visit. 😁. I'm just throwing out options that would work well paired with your other main visits on those days.

I probably said Trastevere was not the best place to base yourselves, but it is still worth considering as a visit if you're tired of all the ornate churches, museums and ruins. I am not a big fan of food tours but if you are into them, Trastevere would be an area to consider one.

Most Italian hotels include breakfast (including cappucino and espresso) with your room. I would plan on eating a relatively fast lunch (pizza or panini type of thing) which wouldn't be too expensive -- the problem with a sit-down lunch in Italy is that there is really no rushing it.  However if you need the break, then some restaurants offer a lunch special of 2-3 courses for a fixed price.  I would say if you do the quick option it would be $10-15 per person including a beverage. For dinner, budget $25 to $40 per person depending on your choices for a medium type restaurant (not including wine) and more like $50-75 for a splurge place.

And yes, budget for gelato too!

Thanks again!

4 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We watched more videos based on your suggestions and have made the following changes:

Day 1 in Rome- taxi to Albergo del Senato hotel. Leave luggage with hotel if we can’t check-in early. Visit the Pantheon, Trevi fountain, and Spanish steps- self guided 

Day 2 (Sunday) - Change the 3 hour Tour with Marisa- Colosseum and Forum to the 4 hours tour that also includes Palatine Hill https://www.romewithmarisa.com/tour-item/ancient-rome-extensive-tour/

Day 3 (Monday) -  3 hour Tour with Marisa - Vatican/Sistine Chapel https://www.romewithmarisa.com/tour-item/private-tour-of-the-vatican-museums-and-sistine-chapel/   - We will go to St. Peters after the tour.  We will take the elevator.  lol

The Capitoline Museum looks like something we'd enjoy.  Which day should we add it?  Is it near our hotel or spots were visiting day 1?

Plaza Navona is a maybe if we find time to fit it in.  Is it near anything we plan to see?  A girl does have to make time for shopping!!

By the way, Marisa is an archeologist and has excavated at the forum.  Her specialty is Roman history and ancient architecture.  She loves photography so I'm hoping she will get some great shots of us at these places!

Thanks again!

Since cruisemom is enjoying the day (Happy New Year!) and I am home getting over covid, I'll answer a few points.

Day 1 - This is a good plan.  

Piazza Navona is a short walk from the Albergo del Senato, but in the opposite direction of the Trevi Fountain, etc. .  You can leave it for the evening of Day 2.  Walk out the hotel door, the Pantheon is on your left, continue straight down a short street (the Armando al Pantheon restaurant is there), turn right and then turn left and the Piazza Navona is a short distance down.  Don't miss it.

Very good gelato at the corner of the hotel. (Turn right at the door and go to the corner, it's across the street.)  Look at this map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hotel+Albergo+del+Senato/@41.8978023,12.4757552,17z/data=!4m15!1m6!3m5!1s0x132f6051d8fd0673:0x91fde7e0e4de70fe!2sArmando+al+Pantheon!8m2!3d41.8990671!4d12.4762459!3m7!1s0x132f6051e3aced8d:0xb00c1f6eca54b6f4!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d41.8991741!4d12.4772818?hl=en

Also, in the corner after you turn right after Armando's is the church of San Luigi dei Francesi which has some magnificent Caravaggio paintings.  

Day 2 - Good choice changing tours.  The Capitoline Museum is on the hill at the end of the Palatine Forum.  Your tour guide can point you there.  Stop for lunch and then visit the museum.   

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Capitoline+Museums/@41.8919223,12.4853275,16.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x132f604f7906ecf3:0xdea1467ab6c9ecfb!8m2!3d41.8929428!4d12.4825577?hl=en

Day 3 - I hope you asked for an early entrance tour of the Vatican.  It makes a huge difference with the crowds.  After that, walk to Bonci's Pizzarium (your guide can point it out) for a slice of pizza.  Walk back to the museum entrance and take a taxi to St Peter's. Otherwise it is a very long walk.  After St Peter's, you can take a taxi to Castel Sant'Angelo.  Go back to the hotel.  Enjoy drinks on the roof terrace.  

Armado al Pantheon is one of the best trattorias in Italy.  I would advise you to reserve a table as soon as they are available on the website. 

https://www.armandoalpantheon.it/en/

Right across the square from the hotel is L'Antica Salumeria.  It has excellent porchetta sandwiches.  

Look at the food thread pinned on top of this forum for other restaurant recommendations. Like Roscioli.

Do use the maps to plot out where things are. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, marazul said:

Since cruisemom is enjoying the day (Happy New Year!) and I am home getting over covid, I'll answer a few points.

Day 1 - This is a good plan.  

Piazza Navona is a short walk from the Albergo del Senato, but in the opposite direction of the Trevi Fountain, etc. .  You can leave it for the evening of Day 2.  Walk out the hotel door, the Pantheon is on your left, continue straight down a short street (the Armando al Pantheon restaurant is there), turn right and then turn left and the Piazza Navona is a short distance down.  Don't miss it.

Very good gelato at the corner of the hotel. (Turn right at the door and go to the corner, it's across the street.)  Look at this map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hotel+Albergo+del+Senato/@41.8978023,12.4757552,17z/data=!4m15!1m6!3m5!1s0x132f6051d8fd0673:0x91fde7e0e4de70fe!2sArmando+al+Pantheon!8m2!3d41.8990671!4d12.4762459!3m7!1s0x132f6051e3aced8d:0xb00c1f6eca54b6f4!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d41.8991741!4d12.4772818?hl=en

Also, in the corner after you turn right after Armando's is the church of San Luigi dei Francesi which has some magnificent Caravaggio paintings.  

Day 2 - Good choice changing tours.  The Capitoline Museum is on the hill at the end of the Palatine Forum.  Your tour guide can point you there.  Stop for lunch and then visit the museum.   

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Capitoline+Museums/@41.8919223,12.4853275,16.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x132f604f7906ecf3:0xdea1467ab6c9ecfb!8m2!3d41.8929428!4d12.4825577?hl=en

Day 3 - I hope you asked for an early entrance tour of the Vatican.  It makes a huge difference with the crowds.  After that, walk to Bonci's Pizzarium (your guide can point it out) for a slice of pizza.  Walk back to the museum entrance and take a taxi to St Peter's. Otherwise it is a very long walk.  After St Peter's, you can take a taxi to Castel Sant'Angelo.  Go back to the hotel.  Enjoy drinks on the roof terrace.  

Armado al Pantheon is one of the best trattorias in Italy.  I would advise you to reserve a table as soon as they are available on the website. 

https://www.armandoalpantheon.it/en/

Right across the square from the hotel is L'Antica Salumeria.  It has excellent porchetta sandwiches.  

Look at the food thread pinned on top of this forum for other restaurant recommendations. Like Roscioli.

Do use the maps to plot out where things are. 

Hope you feel better soon!  I have added your suggestions to my notes.  After a 4 hour walking tour, would adding the Capitoline Museum and Piazza Navona be a lot to do in one day?  If so, I think I'd prefer the museum.  I sent our tour guide an email asking about early entrance to the Vatican.

5 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

BTW - to get to your tours, it is best to take a taxi.  There is a taxi line alongside the Pantheon.  The fare to most places (Colosseum, Vatican, etc.) is 10-12 euros.  Don't even try walking to meet your tours.  The walks are long, there is no such thing as a straight line, and the traffic is horrendous.  

I read the description of your Vatican tour.  It does not include early admission. There is no need to jump the gun and book it now a year or more ahead of time.  IMO - you should book this tour directly with the Vatican Museum.  For example, you could take a "Prime Experience" tour in a group of up to 25 people early in the morning.  Your cost would be about 50 euros each and it includes a very good breakfast at the end.  The VIP option means that it is a private tour just for you or your own group of up to 10.  Read the description of the tours in their website (click "more info" on each for details and on "book" for prices).  They are only showing them for the next three months, but the description is always the same and the prices are about what they will be in 2024.   

https://tickets.museivaticani.va/home/fromtag/2/1676264400000/VG-Musei

Just now, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Hope you feel better soon!  I have added your suggestions to my notes.  After a 4 hour walking tour, would adding the Capitoline Museum and Piazza Navona be a lot to do in one day?  If so, I think I'd prefer the museum.  I sent our tour guide an email asking about early entrance to the Vatican.

Just go to the museum after the tour.  Go to the Piazza Navona after dinner or a little rest.  It is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.  It is a lovely stroll in the evening with lots of cafes for a glass of wine.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, marazul said:

BTW - to get to your tours, it is best to take a taxi.  There is a taxi line alongside the Pantheon.  The fare to most places (Colosseum, Vatican, etc.) is 10-12 euros.  Don't even try walking to meet your tours.  The walks are long, there is no such thing as a straight line, and the traffic is horrendous.  

I read the description of your Vatican tour.  It does not include early admission. There is no need to jump the gun and book it now a year or more ahead of time.  IMO - you should book this tour directly with the Vatican Museum.  For example, you could take a "Prime Experience" tour in a group of up to 25 people early in the morning.  Your cost would be about 50 euros each and it includes a very good breakfast at the end.  The VIP option means that it is a private tour just for you or your own group of up to 10.  Read the description of the tours in their website (click "more info" on each for details and on "book" for prices).  They are only showing them for the next three months, but the description is always the same and the prices are about what they will be in 2024.   

https://tickets.museivaticani.va/home/fromtag/2/1676264400000/VG-Musei

I've added a note to take a taxi.  I looked at the Vatican website.  I'm confused with their pricing.  It looks more expensive for the prime experience, which allows more people, than the VIP.  I would have expected to be the other way around.

I hate to cancel this tour after I've already told her we wanted to go with her.  Do you think this experience would be better than a private tour with her?

41 minutes ago, marazul said:

Just go to the museum after the tour.  Go to the Piazza Navona after dinner or a little rest.  It is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.  It is a lovely stroll in the evening with lots of cafes for a glass of wine.  

Sounds good.  I see there is shopping there too.  I am going to have to bring back souvenirs and gifts!  Are the designer shops close to my hotel or any of the places we'll be going?

As you can see, I'm paying attention to suggestions and taking notes.  

Updated plan, still a couple questions:

June 22, Saturday

Taxi to Albergo del Senato hotel

Visit Pantheon, Trevi fountain, and Spanish steps – self guided

June 23, Sunday

4 hour tour with Marisa – Colosseum, forum and Palatine Hill – take a taxi to meet her. (10-12 euros)

Visit the Capitoline Museum, which is on the hill at the end of the Palatine Forum. 

Piazza Navona is a short walk from our hotel.  Walk out the hotel door, the Pantheon will be on our left, continue straight down a short street (the Armando al Pantheon restaurant is there), turn right and then turn left.  The Piazza Navona is a short distance down.  This area has shopping, restaurants, and bars.

June 24, Monday

3 hour tour with Marisa – Vatican and Sistine Chapel, or book directly with the Vatican Museum - Prime Experience.  Take a taxi there (10-12 euros)

After tour, climb St. Peters – get the elevator pass*  also suggested we do that later, after lunch.  Unsure?

After that, walk to Bonci's Pizzarium (your guide can point it out) for a slice of pizza.  Walk back to the museum entrance and take a taxi to St Peter's. Otherwise, it is a very long walk.  After St Peter's, you can take a taxi to Castel Sant'Angelo.  Go back to the hotel.  Enjoy drinks on the roof terrace.  

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

33 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I've added a note to take a taxi.  I looked at the Vatican website.  I'm confused with their pricing.  It looks more expensive for the prime experience, which allows more people, than the VIP.  I would have expected to be the other way around.

I hate to cancel this tour after I've already told her we wanted to go with her.  Do you think this experience would be better than a private tour with her?

Sounds good.  I see there is shopping there too.  I am going to have to bring back souvenirs and gifts!  Are the designer shops close to my hotel or any of the places we'll be going?

The pricing is confusing, but here is the cost.  The regular Prime Experience tour comes to 102 euros for 2 people.  They put you in a group and guarantee a per person price for the guide.

Group Tour - Earphones                    1.50 x 2          3.00 €

Guide                                                  16.50 x 2       33.00 €

American Breakfast                         18.00 x 2       36.00 €

Early access reservation fees        15.00 x 2       30.00 €

CANCEL

Total:

€ 102.00

PROCEED

The VIP Prime Experience tour comes to 386 euros for 2 people because you pay the entire fee for your own private guide.

American Breakfast                          18.00 x 2     36.00 €

Guide                                                 320.00 x 1   320.00 €

Early access reservation fees         15.00 x 2      30.00 €

CANCEL

Total:

€ 386.00

I don't know her, but I think that booking with one of the Vatican's own guides would be a better experience and they are outstanding.  Don't feel bad about canceling.  It is a long way out.  She will have other clients for that day.  Frankly, I would not book with a solo operator all this time in advance.  She may or may not be available then.  On the other hand, the Vatican will have always have a tour for you.  

The designer shops are not near the hotel.  There are plenty of souvenir shops in that area. 
Designer shops are more on the Via Veneto, closer to the Spanish Steps.  I would google any particular designer shop you would like to visit to get the right address.

You're doing great in terms of planning -- you've got a long time to refine the smaller elements of your time in Rome once you have the big things booked (hotel, tours).  

Piazza Navona is close enough to add to any day. It is especially magical around sunset, so maybe you want to plan to arrive there and find a place to have a glass of wine and enjoy it.  (On the other hand, the Albergo del Senato has a lovely rooftop bar.)

About shopping:  Keep in mind that a lot of shops are closed on Sundays in Rome. The more touristy ones may be open. There is shopping around the area of Albergo del Senato; depends what you are looking for. I've bought things over the years in a nearby ceramics store, there is a store for traditional Italian wooden toys, antique prints (of Rome and other places among others -- easy to take back as you can put them flat in a suitcase if not too large), perfumes, Italian scarves, etc. The area around the Pantheon is also known (among Romans) as a place that specializes in clerical robes and supplies. If you're lucky you'll stroll by some windows with sumptuous examples....

Maybe Monday afternoon (after you return to the area following your Vatican activities) would be the best time. By then you will have a better sense of where things are located around the hotel after the previous two days.

51 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

As you can see, I'm paying attention to suggestions and taking notes.  

Updated plan, still a couple questions:

June 22, Saturday

Taxi to Albergo del Senato hotel

Visit Pantheon, Trevi fountain, and Spanish steps – self guided

June 23, Sunday

4 hour tour with Marisa – Colosseum, forum and Palatine Hill – take a taxi to meet her. (10-12 euros)

Visit the Capitoline Museum, which is on the hill at the end of the Palatine Forum. 

Piazza Navona is a short walk from our hotel.  Walk out the hotel door, the Pantheon will be on our left, continue straight down a short street (the Armando al Pantheon restaurant is there), turn right and then turn left.  The Piazza Navona is a short distance down.  This area has shopping, restaurants, and bars.

June 24, Monday

3 hour tour with Marisa – Vatican and Sistine Chapel, or book directly with the Vatican Museum - Prime Experience.  Take a taxi there (10-12 euros)

After tour, climb St. Peters – get the elevator pass*  also suggested we do that later, after lunch.  Unsure?

After that, walk to Bonci's Pizzarium (your guide can point it out) for a slice of pizza.  Walk back to the museum entrance and take a taxi to St Peter's. Otherwise, it is a very long walk.  After St Peter's, you can take a taxi to Castel Sant'Angelo.  Go back to the hotel.  Enjoy drinks on the roof terrace.  

Day 1.  Instead of a taxi to the hotel, book a transfer with romecabs.com.  The price will be the same.  They provide excellent service and they will be waiting right alongside the ship when you disembark.  You will not have to go looking for a taxi.

Day 3.  Also take a taxi between the Vatican Museums and St Peter's. The included breakfast at the museum is quite filling and it is served at the end of the tour.  You should be done by 11 which will let you take the taxi to St Peter's earlier.  The security line to get in can be long.  You buy the elevator tickets and audio guide as you go in.  You can have lunch before you go to Castel Sant'Angelo.  In this way you have a meal and a break between each site.  

Bonci's is near the museum, not near St Peter's.  You can have pizza in many other places.  If you really want to go to Bonci, you should book the "Breakfast at the Museums - Exclusive Guided Tour of the Museums and Breakfast" either VIP or regular.  You get breakfast before the tour, not after.  You still get in earlier than general admission, but not as early as the Prime Experience so there will be more people around.  Then you can go to Bonci after the tour for lunch and take a taxi to St Peter's, etc.  Frankly, Bonci is good, but I would rather get in earlier for the tour and get pizza some place else some other time, maybe at some of the places suggested near the hotel. 

1 hour ago, marazul said:

The pricing is confusing, but here is the cost.  The regular Prime Experience tour comes to 102 euros for 2 people.  They put you in a group and guarantee a per person price for the guide.

Group Tour - Earphones                    1.50 x 2          3.00 €

Guide                                                  16.50 x 2       33.00 €

American Breakfast                         18.00 x 2       36.00 €

Early access reservation fees        15.00 x 2       30.00 €

CANCEL

Total:

€ 102.00

PROCEED

The VIP Prime Experience tour comes to 386 euros for 2 people because you pay the entire fee for your own private guide.

American Breakfast                          18.00 x 2     36.00 €

Guide                                                 320.00 x 1   320.00 €

Early access reservation fees         15.00 x 2      30.00 €

CANCEL

Total:

€ 386.00

I don't know her, but I think that booking with one of the Vatican's own guides would be a better experience and they are outstanding.  Don't feel bad about canceling.  It is a long way out.  She will have other clients for that day.  Frankly, I would not book with a solo operator all this time in advance.  She may or may not be available then.  On the other hand, the Vatican will have always have a tour for you.  

The designer shops are not near the hotel.  There are plenty of souvenir shops in that area. 
Designer shops are more on the Via Veneto, closer to the Spanish Steps.  I would google any particular designer shop you would like to visit to get the right address.

Thanks for explaining the pricing. That makes more sense. 

As for booking this far out, she just put us on her calendar and made a note to reach out to us 6 months prior. 

56 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You're doing great in terms of planning -- you've got a long time to refine the smaller elements of your time in Rome once you have the big things booked (hotel, tours).  

Agree!  I wanted to research early and fine tune at a later date.  This will help us set a budget. 

56 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Piazza Navona is close enough to add to any day. It is especially magical around sunset, so maybe you want to plan to arrive there and find a place to have a glass of wine and enjoy it.  (On the other hand, the Albergo del Senato has a lovely rooftop bar.)

About shopping:  Keep in mind that a lot of shops are closed on Sundays in Rome. The more touristy ones may be open. There is shopping around the area of Albergo del Senato; depends what you are looking for. I've bought things over the years in a nearby ceramics store, there is a store for traditional Italian wooden toys, antique prints (of Rome and other places among others -- easy to take back as you can put them flat in a suitcase if not too large), perfumes, Italian scarves, etc. The area around the Pantheon is also known (among Romans) as a place that specializes in clerical robes and supplies. If you're lucky you'll stroll by some windows with sumptuous examples....

Maybe Monday afternoon (after you return to the area following your Vatican activities) would be the best time. By then you will have a better sense of where things are located around the hotel after the previous two days.

I didn’t realize shops would be closed on Sunday. We may do that Saturday or Monday then. I don’t know what I want to buy. Something that will remind me of our trip. Something Italian. Maybe a leather bag or designer scarf. Something handmade, like pottery. 

46 minutes ago, marazul said:

Day 1.  Instead of a taxi to the hotel, book a transfer with romecabs.com.  The price will be the same.  They provide excellent service and they will be waiting right alongside the ship when you disembark.  You will not have to go looking for a taxi.

Day 3.  Also take a taxi between the Vatican Museums and St Peter's. The included breakfast at the museum is quite filling and it is served at the end of the tour.  You should be done by 11 which will let you take the taxi to St Peter's earlier.  The security line to get in can be long.  You buy the elevator tickets and audio guide as you go in.  You can have lunch before you go to Castel Sant'Angelo.  In this way you have a meal and a break between each site.  

Bonci's is near the museum, not near St Peter's.  You can have pizza in many other places.  If you really want to go to Bonci, you should book the "Breakfast at the Museums - Exclusive Guided Tour of the Museums and Breakfast" either VIP or regular.  You get breakfast before the tour, not after.  You still get in earlier than general admission, but not as early as the Prime Experience so there will be more people around.  Then you can go to Bonci after the tour for lunch and take a taxi to St Peter's, etc.  Frankly, Bonci is good, but I would rather get in earlier for the tour and get pizza some place else some other time, maybe at some of the places suggested near the hotel. 

I only put the pizza place there because you recommended it. (I also have the restaurants you mentioned written down) We usually only eat twice a day so if we have breakfast at the Vatican, we wouldn’t eat again until dinner. If we stick with Marisa’s tour we may have the pizza. Of course, gelato isn’t a meal so we may sneak that in before dinner a day or two. 😋

16 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thanks for explaining the pricing. That makes more sense. 

As for booking this far out, she just put us on her calendar and made a note to reach out to us 6 months prior. 

Agree!  I wanted to research early and fine tune at a later date.  This will help us set a budget. 

I didn’t realize shops would be closed on Sunday. We may do that Saturday or Monday then. I don’t know what I want to buy. Something that will remind me of our trip. Something Italian. Maybe a leather bag or designer scarf. Something handmade, like pottery. 

I only put the pizza place there because you recommended it. (I also have the restaurants you mentioned written down) We usually only eat twice a day so if we have breakfast at the Vatican, we wouldn’t eat again until dinner. If we stick with Marisa’s tour we may have the pizza. Of course, gelato isn’t a meal so we may sneak that in before dinner a day or two. 😋

Just a thought. Again, I don't know Marissa and she is probably very accomplished and quite capable to guide in both places. She is an archeologist and would be an ideal guide for the Colosseum and Forum.  I would prefer an art historian trained by the Vatican to be my guide there.

Yes, I recommended Bonci if you are there at the right time.  If not, there are plenty of good pizza restaurants in Rome.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

We used Marissa in 2018 for an early entry tour of the Vatican for me and my daughter-in-law. She told us how to make the reservation with the Vatican and we met her at 7:15 am at the Museum entrance. We could enter early with her as our guide. I don't recall the entry fee being much different, if any, from the regular entry ticket. Have been to the Vatican museum several times and this was by far the best. Marissa is very knowledgeable and there were only a few others in the Museum. We were able to sit in the Sistine chapel and marvel at its beauty without the wall to wall people you normally find. Highly recommend Marissa and the early entry.

We were staying at the Albergo del Senato. There is a taxi stand next to the Pantheon which we used to get to the museum.

We have used Rome Cabs for transfers to  and from the ship several times. They meet you at the ship, which regular taxis can't.

Edited by rdt10
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, rdt10 said:

We used Marissa in 2018 for an early entry tour of the Vatican for me and my daughter-in-law. She told us how to make the reservation with the Vatican and we met her at 7:15 am at the Museum entrance. We could enter early with her as our guide. I don't recall the entry fee being much different, if any, from the regular entry ticket. Have been to the Vatican museum several times and this was by far the best. Marissa is very knowledgeable and there were only a few others in the Museum. We were able to sit in the Sistine chapel and marvel at its beauty without the wall to wall people you normally find. Highly recommend Marissa and the early entry.

I prefer the idea of a private tour with her for my husband and I, rather than a large group. You are the second person to recommend her in here. 

31 minutes ago, rdt10 said:

We were staying at the Albergo del Senato. There is a taxi stand next to the Pantheon which we used to get to the museum.

We have used Rome Cabs for transfers to  and from the ship several times. They meet you at the ship, which regular taxis can't.

I will check them out. So you book them ahead?

10 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I prefer the idea of a private tour with her for my husband and I, rather than a large group. You are the second person to recommend her in here. 

I will check them out. So you book them ahead?

Rome Cabs is a limo/transfer company, not city taxis.  You book them ahead, but pay the driver.  We use them every time we go to Rome.  Extremely reliable.  There is a thread on them here.

I am glad you are getting good feed back about Marissa.  The Vatican tickets also become available about six months ahead of time so you can decide then.

Wow!  We have "talked" a lot today! Nothing like being stuck in the house with a positive test! (At least, only minimal symptoms.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marazul said:

Rome Cabs is a limo/transfer company, not city taxis.  You book them ahead, but pay the driver.  We use them every time we go to Rome.  Extremely reliable.  There is a thread on them here.

I am glad you are getting good feed back about Marissa.  The Vatican tickets also become available about six months ahead of time so you can decide then.

Wow!  We have "talked" a lot today! Nothing like being stuck in the house with a positive test! (At least, only minimal symptoms.)

Glad your symptoms are mild!  Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1