More FP snorkeling questions

ChrisC101

Hi I have read through some of the snorkeling posts for FP but don’t see all my questions.  As background we did Tahiti cruise with Princess on their smaller ship almost 20 years ago there.  We’re now looking at a Windstar this year.  We’re not normally cruisers but it is, by far, the best way to see Tahiti.  So some questions:

1.  We did a private snorkel on Bora Bora last time (19 years ago) with just us and the guide.  Though it was excellent we noticed and discussed with the local guide that the coral was getting bleached out.  Yet I have read here some of you feel your best snorkeling took place in BB.  I also know Tahiti had a big coral bleach/die off in 2019.  Can you let us know your thoughts on this?  Seems like some of the underwater photos posted also show bleaching but not sure if this is just camera issues or not.  We’ve traveled all over the South Pacific so know good coral from bad.  Just curious on thoughts and comments here?  Thanks.

2.  Snorkel clothing for drifts?  Did you wear rash leggings too?  We have rash guards for upper torso but not for lower.  We know the dangers of coral cuts and that once you get one and infection starts very serious plus you can’t go in the water again and are on antibiotics.  Did you use gloves too?  We’re good snorkelers but seems like some of the drifts people have discussed are very shallow.  Thoughts on outfitting? 

thanks for insights, we will likely only do the 7 day RT PPT as we have pet sitting issues, the sitter controls our lives, lol!  

We were worried about the drift snorkel at Taha'a and thus some of our group bought a full body suit, although light weight, was cumbersome to put on and take off. I purchased these leg spray guards and felt pretty protected for lower leg scrapes/cuts when combined with a good pair of soled water shoes.I purchased them from Bart's Water Sports catalog, about $15 each.

Barts_body-guard-neo-spray-leg.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChrisC101 said:

any thoughts on condition of the various reefs? 

We thought they were beautiful, although this was our first trip to FP and only have Caribbean islands to compare to FP. We liked Bora Bora the best and highly recommend https://boraborah2o.com/ . Aimee and David provided the best snorkeling excursion of the trip. We did the 7 day RT from Papeete on the Star Breeze. Hopefully Petoonya and TBK will respond with their thoughts on the reefs current status as compared to past years.

I looked at the photos from H20 on TA and it looked like 2/3 bleached, 1/3 not.  What that means is they know where to go for some good reef that’s left.  When we were there 19 years ago it was the other way around.  I know La Niña years often provides time for reefs to recover but El Niño accelerates the destruction, along with the toxic types of sunscreen, etc.  Thanks for the input.  

Thanks,  that looks fair but not as good as it should.  I am also shocked they are allowing jet skis on some of these islands as I assume they are all gas powered.  But, sigh, as I said we were last there 19 years ago.  

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2023 at 12:31 PM, ChrisC101 said:

Thanks,  that looks fair but not as good as it should.  I am also shocked they are allowing jet skis on some of these islands as I assume they are all gas powered.  But, sigh, as I said we were last there 19 years ago.  

Agreed.  I'm also disappointed that BB has allowed so many overwater bungalows to proliferate and spoil the landscape and lagoon.  Money talks!