Getting to NYC Penn Station after cruise

craig01020

15 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

I will be on the NCL Joy, which is scheduled to arrive in New York at 7:00 am on Wed., Sept. 20, 2023.

Is it feasible to catch an 11:30 am Amtrak train from Penn Station?

Thanks.

Absolutely. It's just a short taxi ride away. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Absolutely. It's just a short taxi ride away. 

Paul (or anyone else reading this) how hard is it to get a cab at the Cruise Terminal amid the departing throngs?  I’ve read you have to cross 12th Ave and join what may be a free for all. Is that the location, or can you easily hale a cab elsewhere, for example by not crossing the street. (Where do the cabs go that have just dropped off arriving guests?)

If using an Uber, what’s a good location to be asked to be picked up? I’ve read it’s best to walk a block or so away from the Terminal and the taxi mess, or at least turn a corner off 12th Ave. 

We usually drive, but it’s Penn Station this time. 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Paul (or anyone else reading this) how hard is it to get a cab at the Cruise Terminal amid the departing throngs?  I’ve read you have to cross 12th Ave and join what may be a free for all. Is that the location, or can you easily hale a cab elsewhere, for example by not crossing the street. (Where do the cabs go that have just dropped off arriving guests?)

If using an Uber, what’s a good location to be asked to be picked up? I’ve read it’s best to walk a block or so away from the Terminal and the taxi mess, or at least turn a corner off 12th Ave. 

Thanks! 

Judith:

It can be a bit chaotic, but you'll be disembarking the Gem, so there will be a a much smaller crowd than if you were on one the larger ships.

You can't hail a cab on the southbound side of 12th Ave. at the cruise terminal because there's no sidewalk where you can stand and no place for a taxi to pull over. As you know you disembark on street level while taxis carrying arriving passengers are one level above. You may be able to go back upstairs and get a taxi there but technically I don't believe they're allowed to pick up passengers there.

Yes, for Uber it's best to get a block or so away from the terminal .

Paul

@njhorseman

Thanks Paul!

22 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

It is even walkable, if you can manage your bags that distance and the weather is good

It's two miles; yes, a walkable distance, but might well kill any bags you might be rolling along the streets of NY that far.  😂

Happy New Year to you both!

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks! 

On our most recent trip into NYC we asked out yellow cab driver about this. He told us they can pick up at the pier if they have just dropped someone off. Otherwise, we need to go across the street to get one. 

Hoping that maybe on ship days there is an organized line such as they have at Penn Station on 8th Ave. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

Yes, thanks.  Love this:  "Returning passengers will be directed to awaiting coaches, taxis/limousines, and car parking."

Directions across 12th Ave to the scrum of people trying to get a taxi.  😂

10 minutes ago, spirit rev said:

On our most recent trip into NYC we asked out yellow cab driver about this. He told us they can pick up at the pier if they have just dropped someone off.

Helpful to know that, thanks!