Arriving in LA (LAX) for 3 nights pre cruise from San Pedro - staying in Santa Monica

podgeandrodge

We arrive LA for 3 nights before cruise from San Pedro.  We have a hotel booked in Santa Monica, but not clear on best way to transport to the cruise?  Appreciate thoughts.  Or whether we should just go to San Pedro from LAX and stay there for 3 nights, but I think that we would miss out a lot, not having been to LA before.

thanks.!

Definitely stay in Santa Monica...Uber or Lyft to the port...

San Pedro for three days will leave a lot of wasted time...or a lot of time and expense heading into LA to do any sightseeing...

Uber/Lyft will pick you up at your hotel and drop you off right at the cruise terminal door on your time schedule...rates are surprisingly low...We live in Calabasas--which is 50 miles from San Pedro...and last time we took Uber to the port from our home, it was $59!  Santa Monica is only 30 miles from the cruise terminal  I just ran a dummy Uber request from the Wyndham Santa Monicaa hotel to the cruise terminal...and an UberX was $45...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

Why are you choosing to stay in Santa Monica? We are also arriving a few nights before our cruise and are trying to decide where to stay and what to do. 

Maybe I can explain it to you.

"Los Angeles" is a VERY BIG place.  And when I say "Los Angeles", it's not just the political entity within the city limits--which is actually just a fraction of the population and land area.  It's over a hundred different cities and towns, many surrounding the city, manyt others looking like giant cut-outs within the city  So, we are talking about the entire megalopolis most think of as Los Angeles...which encompasses not only the city of LA (population of around 4 million) but the entire population of Los Angeles County (10 million) plus most of the adjacent counties of Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside and Ventura.  The estimated total population of Greater Los Angeles is around 20 million people...

And, unlike most other major cities, Los Angeles is built "out", not "up"...There are areas with tall buildings, but most of the city is more "suburban" than "urban"...it is spread out over a large area.  Making it an even larger area is that it is sprawled out over several mountain ranges, through canyons and passes and then, again, spreading out to fill several adjacent valleys.

Then, to complicate things, for various historical, cultural and economic reasons, traffic patterns seem almost random and illogical.

So what you have is a massive land area with complicated road and highway patterns that could cause the need to take SEVERAL HOURS to get from one side of the city to the other.  I live toward the northwestern side of the metropolitan area...and, if I want to travel to, say South Orange County or to the eastern end of the "Inland Empire", I need to expect as much as a three hour drive time each way.  Just getting to San Pedro, for me, on a typical weekend morning, I am looking at at least an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half.  Next Friday, I have a cruise out of San Pedro and I may be looking at two hours plus since it's Friday morning...

That said, San Pedro/Long Beach area--near the port--is nice for a one night pre-cruise when one has no interest in visiting LA tourist sights--but it is 30-40 miles from most tourist sights.  If you have several days and want to sightsee, the harbor area may not make logistic sense.

Many areas of Los Angeles, I would rule out for tourists because they are either logistically unrealistic or merely undesirable.  So, when looking for "where to stay", you almost have to have a checklist:  1)  What do you really want to see and do?  2)  Will you have a car?  3) What is your budget?  etc.

Assuming many visitors don't want to rent a car--and deal with traffic, unfamiliar streets and neighborhoods and high gas prices and parking rates--Then it comes down to where can you stay that is close to tourist sights with convenient transportation options (tour companies, HOHO bus, Uber/Lyft availability) and lots to see and do within close walking distance with plentiful local tourist attractions, restaurants, nightlife, popular strolling areas, safe environment, best weather, etc.

...and Santa Monica ticks ALL of the boxes.  All major tour companies pick up from Santa Monica hotels.  The HOHO bus uses it as a main hub.  The Third Street Promenade, Santa Monia Pier and Palisades Park are MAJOR pedestrian areas with tourists AND locals heading there 24/7 for restaurants/entertainment/nightlife.  It is right by one of the most beautiful beaches with outstanding year-round weather.  It is one of the nicer areas of LA.  It is a very short ride to neighboring Venice Beach--whose Boardwalk is a MAJOR attraction.  It is a short Uber ride to the Getty Villa and Getty Center museums, to Beverly Hills with Rodeo Drive, to Westwood Village and the beautiful campus of UCLA, to Sony Studios in Culver City and to many more attractions.  It is easy to take a tour (or even do it yourself by Uber or even public transportation) to go see sights in Hollywood, Universal or Downtown.

It is my top recommendation as to where to stay as a tourist.

Of course, some tourists have more limited agendas--like Disney (Stay in Anaheim)...or movie and TV studios (maybe Hollywood or Universal).  There are some alternative areas to consider (West Hollywood or Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach for example...and some out of the way places for those who only want to relax and don't need to be near tourist spots...

But, for tourists who want to see a lot and have things to do day and night and won't have a car, Santa Monica is just a VERY GOOD place to be.  OTOH, hotes can be a pit pricey...But, this is LA--decent hotels in decent areas are generally pricey.  If you find a bargain somewhere, really question it.  There are many cheap hotels...and they are largely cheap for very good reasons... 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

19 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

"Los Angeles" is a VERY BIG place.  And when I say "Los Angeles", it's not just the political entity within the city limits--which is actually just a fraction of the population and land area.  It's over a hundred different cities and towns, many surrounding the city, manyt others looking like giant cut-outs within the city  So, we are talking about the entire megalopolis most think of as Los Angeles...which encompasses not only the city of LA (population of around 4 million) but the entire population of Los Angeles County (10 million) plus most of the adjacent counties of Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside and Ventura.  The estimated total population of Greater Los Angeles is around 20 million people...

And, unlike most other major cities, Los Angeles is built "out", not "up"...There are areas with tall buildings, but most of the city is more "suburban" than "urban"...it is spread out over a large area.  Making it an even larger area is that it is sprawled out over several mountain ranges, through canyons and passes and then, again, spreading out to fill several adjacent valleys.

Then, to complicate things, for various historical, cultural and economic reasons, traffic patterns seem almost random and illogical.

So what you have is a massive land area with complicated road and highway patterns that could cause the need to take SEVERAL HOURS to get from one side of the city to the other.  I live toward the northwestern side of the metropolitan area...and, if I want to travel to, say South Orange County or to the eastern end of the "Inland Empire", I need to expect as much as a three hour drive time each way.  Just getting to San Pedro, for me, on a typical weekend morning, I am looking at at least an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half.  Next Friday, I have a cruise out of San Pedro and I may be looking at two hours plus since it's Friday morning...

That said, San Pedro/Long Beach area--near the port--is nice for a one night pre-cruise when one has no interest in visiting LA tourist sights--but it is 30-40 miles from most tourist sights.  If you have several days and want to sightsee, the harbor area may not make logistic sense.

Many areas of Los Angeles, I would rule out for tourists because they are either logistically unrealistic or merely undesirable.  So, when looking for "where to stay", you almost have to have a checklist:  1)  What do you really want to see and do?  2)  Will you have a car?  3) What is your budget?  etc.

Assuming many visitors don't want to rent a car--and deal with traffic, unfamiliar streets and neighborhoods and high gas prices and parking rates--Then it comes down to where can you stay that is close to tourist sights with convenient transportation options (tour companies, HOHO bus, Uber/Lyft availability) and lots to see and do within close walking distance with plentiful local tourist attractions, restaurants, nightlife, popular strolling areas, safe environment, best weather, etc.

...and Santa Monica ticks ALL of the boxes.  All major tour companies pick up from Santa Monica hotels.  The HOHO bus uses it as a main hub.  The Third Street Promenade, Santa Monia Pier and Palisades Park are MAJOR pedestrian areas with tourists AND locals heading there 24/7 for restaurants/entertainment/nightlife.  It is right by one of the most beautiful beaches with outstanding year-round weather.  It is one of the nicer areas of LA.  It is a very short ride to neighboring Venice Beach--whose Boardwalk is a MAJOR attraction.  It is a short Uber ride to the Getty Villa and Getty Center museums, to Beverly Hills with Rodeo Drive, to Westwood Village and the beautiful campus of UCLA, to Sony Studios in Culver City and to many more attractions.  It is easy to take a tour (or even do it yourself by Uber or even public transportation) to go see sights in Hollywood, Universal or Downtown.

Of course, some tourists have more limited agendas--like Disney (Stay in Anaheim)...or movie and TV studios (maybe Hollywood or Universal).  There are some alternative areas to consider (West Hollywood or Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach for example...and some out of the way places for those who only want to relax and don't need to be near tourist spots...

But, for tourists who want to see a lot and have things to do day and night and won't have a car, Santa Monica is just a VERY GOOD place to be.  OTOH, hotes can be a pit pricey...But, this is LA--decent hotels in decent areas are generally pricey.  If you find a bargain somewhere, really question it.  There are many cheap hotels...and they are largely cheap for very good reasons... 

We are flying in two days before our cruise and I'm considering Torrance. Looking at hotels near the Del Amo Mall (for the wife) and still near enough to the beach.  Good idea? Or do you still feel that Santa Monica is the better option?

@Bruin Steve Thank you so much! I know that the greater LA area is huge, and I want to stay away from the sketchy areas. I really appreciate hearing from a local that Santa Monica is the place recommended for tourists. I will definitely start looking at hotels in the area. If I might indulge you a little bit more, do you know how the drive from Santa Monica to Palmdale generally is? It looks like part of the drive is through a mountain range. I have an aunt and uncle that live in Palmdale, whom I haven’t seen in years. I would love to go visit them. I have two full days before the cruise, and I was thinking of taking a day trip to go see them. Do you think this would be feasible? I would be making this trip on either a Friday or a Saturday because the cruise leaves on Sunday. 

4 minutes ago, CCRUZER said:

We are flying in two days before our cruise and I'm considering Torrance. Looking at hotels near the Del Amo Mall (for the wife) and still near enough to the beach.  Good idea? Or do you still feel that Santa Monica is the better option?

It all depends on what you want to do...

If it's sightseeing, visiting typical tourist venues, nightlife, taking in more of an LA experience, Santa Monica is definitely the far better option.

If you are just killing time and your wife wants to go shopping...and you just want to be closer to the port, Torrance works just fine.  It's not really a beach town and Del Amo won't be all that convenient to visiting the beach...you are going to need transportation.  Torrance is more "postwar era suburbia" with a large shopping mall.  You'll find plenty of ordinary chain restaurants and a lot of shops...and not much else.  OTOH, it is conveniently about halfway between LAX and the harbor area.  But zero charm.

21 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

@Bruin Steve Thank you so much! I know that the greater LA area is huge, and I want to stay away from the sketchy areas. I really appreciate hearing from a local that Santa Monica is the place recommended for tourists. I will definitely start looking at hotels in the area. If I might indulge you a little bit more, do you know how the drive from Santa Monica to Palmdale generally is? It looks like part of the drive is through a mountain range. I have an aunt and uncle that live in Palmdale, whom I haven’t seen in years. I would love to go visit them. I have two full days before the cruise, and I was thinking of taking a day trip to go see them. Do you think this would be feasible? I would be making this trip on either a Friday or a Saturday because the cruise leaves on Sunday. 

Better to make that drive on a Saturday to avoid a lot of traffic...the 405 is one of the busiest freeways in the area...And you probably need to rent a car...

The drive, without traffic, will probably take you a little over an hour each way...but it's really not a difficult drive.  You will actually cross two (sort of three in a way) mountain ranges...but don't fear...it is a WIDE STRAIGHT  freeway, not a winding mountain road.  From Santa Monica, you will take either the 10 or one of the major E/W streets--Willshire, Santa Monica or Olympic--to the 405 North...As you go North, you'll pass the Getty Center Museum on the hill to your left and into Sepulveda Pass...This is a very wide gap through the Santa Monica Mountains (watch your downhill speed after the summit) and down into the San Fernando Valley...In the northern part of the Valley, you'll merge into the 5 North into the Santa Clarita Valley and a short way later the 14...That will take you through the gap between the San Gabriel Mountains and the Tehachapis...and down into the Palmdale area...

It sounds like a lot of mountains and mountain passes, but the freeways lead you on an easy path through some major gaps and passes...You probably won't even notice that you are going up and down in elevation.

Edited by Bruin Steve

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Better to make that drive on a Saturday to avoid a lot of traffic...the 405 is one of the busiest freeways in the area...And you probably need to rent a car...

The drive, without traffic, will probably take you a little over an hour each way...but it's really not a difficult drive.  You will actually cross two (sort of three in a way) mountain ranges...but don't fear...it is a WIDE STRAIGHT  freeway, not a winding mountain road.  From Santa Monica, you will take either the 10 or one of the major E/W streets--Willshire, Santa Monica or Olympic--to the 405 North...As you go North, you'll pass the Getty Center Museum on the hill to your left and into Sepulveda Pass...This is a very wide gap through the Santa Monica Mountains (watch your downhill speed after the summit) and down into the San Fernando Valley...In the northern part of the Valley, you'll merge into the 5 North into the Santa Clarita Valley and a short way later the 14...That will take you through the gap between the San Gabriel Mountains and the Tehachapis...and down into the Palmdale area...

It sounds like a lot of mountains and mountain passes, but the freeways lead you on an easy path through some major gaps and passes...You probably won't even notice that you are going up and down in elevation.

Thanks again! That’s the type of information I need but Google maps doesn’t provide. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 3:20 PM, Candy Apple 12 said:

Take a look at the Seashore Motel on Main St in Santa Monica.  It is a family owned motel.  You can sometimes get better rates when booking direct on their site.  It's nothing fancy, but it is a great location and very inexpensive for the area.   It is walkable to restaurants, beach, etc.    There is a coffee shop right there and they have free parking.

My niece and sister live a couple of blocks away and we always stay there when we visit. 

This is a good thread for Port info/hotels.  We are looking at a coast to coast Panama Canal cruise starting in LA and finishing in FL.  My mother is living with my brother in Huntington Beach and we would go a few days early to spend some time with them.  We would rent a car at the airport but wondering if we could drop it at the Port?   Uber/Lyft is out of the question as we don't use Smart Phones.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 3:10 PM, CCRUZER said:

If you want to stay farther south, and therefore closer to the port, and that's why Torrance appeals, opt for the South Bay, which includes Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach. There's charm to these beach towns, restaurants within walking distance, and cute shops for your wife. But don't stay in Torrance. I used to live in Redondo Beach and also Hermosa Beach, and I never bothered with Torrance. It's very bland and full of chain restaurants and boring suburbia. 

On 1/20/2023 at 4:13 PM, shofer said:

My mother is living with my brother in Huntington Beach and we would go a few days early to spend some time with them. We would rent a car at the airport but wondering if we could drop it at the Port? 

There are only a couple of car rental companies in San Pedro, Hertz and Enterprise I believe. So I would look at renting from whichever company you want and then return it to Long Beach Airport (LGB) and take a taxi from LGB to the cruise terminal.

You guys seem to have a wealth of knowledge and hoped I could take advantage. We are flying into LAX on May 31 (Wednesday morning). Our cruise leaves on Thursday out of San Padro.

We have thought about renting a car and driving to San Diego.  My husband is a military buff and wants to tour the USS Midway. We figured we would stay in a hotel and drive back to the airport Thursday morning, return the car, and just take the Princess transfers. It is my husband and I and 4 of our kids. 

I'm not sure where I should try to stay? Is it doable to go visit the Midway? Are there any hotels where you can drop luggage before you can check in? I feel like I have more questions but not sure what I need to know. Thank you for your help. 

I would say it is incredibly impractical.

It might look okay on paper, but the drive could be 2 1/2 to 4 hours each way. It is a brutal drive through 3 of the 6 most populous counties in the country. You would traverse multiple high traffic zones both directions.

Drive to San Pedro instead and tour the USS Iowa.

• Like 1

We're flying in 3 days early for our cruise out of San Pedro. Our plan is to rent a car when we land at LAX, return it to Long Beach Airport the morning of the cruise and take a cab or uber to the port from there. We're probably staying in Redondo Beach area or Culver City.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 7:13 PM, Bruin Steve said:

To your point about the traffic in LA... on our recent trip, we sat in traffic between Santa Monica and Venice for over an hour. At the 45 minute mark, I noticed we had traveled exactly 1.25 miles. You just never know how bad it will be, but always expect traffic and don't be in a hurry to get where you need to be. 

Bruin Steve, you laid this response out perfectly. My husband and I recently spent 10 days in CA, first in the LA metro area, then out in the Palm Springs area. We had a car for the entire time, and I was the sole driver. In the three times that I've visited LA, the thing that never ceases to amaze me is the expanse of the area. 

When we cruise in April, I'm looking at flights into Long Beach via Southwest. We will arrive the day before, probably first thing in the morning. I'm looking at hotels in the Redondo Beach/Torrence area. I figure for just the day, we can kind of lay low and walk or catch a ride to wherever we want to go locally. Then in the morning, just get a ride to the terminal. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am so happy that I found this thread.   We are taking a Panama Canal cruise LA-Miami on Nov. 3 and I had already figured out that Santa Monica is where we should stay so @Bruin Steve I was happy to see your advice on this. Have not booked a hotel, but hope to use some hotel points.  We will fly from NY on Oct. 31 arriving around 7:30 in LAX.  So I do have a few questions on logistics. 

We've made a few trips to California over the years, but haven't been to LA in over 30 when we spent a week in the area.  My DH, who is not the travel maven that I am, has only 1 request - to see the Peterson Collection.  I would like to see the Getty Museum.  I was thinking we would rent a car from Hertz (very good corporate retiree rates) at LAX, and I believe we could also drop the car in San Pedro (is this near the cruise terminal?) since I figure we would need our own transportation to do these things.

Is this a good idea?  Can we visit these 2 museums in the 2 days we have pre-cruise?  Both in 1 day or not? Any hotel recommendations based on having a car and where we plan to drive?  TIA.

16 hours ago, the mice said:

Is this a good idea?  Can we visit these 2 museums in the 2 days we have pre-cruise?  Both in 1 day or not? Any hotel recommendations based on having a car and where we plan to drive?  TIA.

Petersen Automotive Museum, Pete Petersen was a good Danish boy from Los Angeles.

Yes, your plan is fine. Double check the Getty site for parking. I don't recall if reservations are required to park. You park down below and ride a people mover to the museum.

For hotels, Marriott has the JW Marriott Le Merigot, Delfina and Courtyard. Hilton has the Hilton Santa Monica (formerly the DoubleTree) and Fairmont has the Miramar.

25 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Petersen Automotive Museum, Pete Petersen was a good Danish boy from Los Angeles.

Yes, your plan is fine. Double check the Getty site for parking. I don't recall if reservations are required to park. You park down below and ride a people mover to the museum.

For hotels, Marriott has the JW Marriott Le Merigot, Delfina and Courtyard. Hilton has the Hilton Santa Monica (formerly the DoubleTree) and Fairmont has the Miramar.

@scottca075  Thank you very much.   Will check on the Getty as suggested.  And I assume you mean it is feasible to see both in one day so we can relax in Santa Monica on day 2.

Is renting a car from Hertz and returning in San Pedro a good idea?  Or should we drop the car at the Long Beach airport and take Uber or a taxi?  I have never used Uber even though I set up an account years ago.  At home, no need for Uber (and we don't do takeout so don't use UberEats).  Usually we travel in Europe and walk miles and miles, and very rarely even grab a taxi.  So never really needed to use Uber.  

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Yes, you can do Petersen and Getty in one day, and dropping in San Pedro is fine. I'd drop off the bags and passengers at the terminal and then walk from Hertz, it is only about a 15-20 minute walk to the berth,

The 15-20 minute walk is not a problem, but it will only be my DH and me.   Car will be rented in my name since I'm the corporate retiree.  I don't fancy dropping him off and walking back by myself.  Are there taxis in the area that would do a run from Hertz to the pier?  Not sure I'd want to do my first Uber alone.  

1 hour ago, the mice said:

The 15-20 minute walk is not a problem, but it will only be my DH and me.   Car will be rented in my name since I'm the corporate retiree.  I don't fancy dropping him off and walking back by myself.  Are there taxis in the area that would do a run from Hertz to the pier?  Not sure I'd want to do my first Uber alone.  

You should be able to add him as an additional driver for free.

If not, look at the walk below. It is incredibly safe and half of it is inside the cruise terminal property. If the ship is at Berth 91, it is even shorter.

https://goo.gl/maps/U3kAfr1pXrMpdmEWA

If not THAT, then walk to the Crowne Plaza and look for a cab.