How is ship WiFi?

Melody Steinberg

To use wi-fi calling you will need premium, however if you want to use third party apps like FB Messager calling or Whatapps calling, basic should work

Also can sign up for basic all cruise long then mid way upgrade to premium at a prorated amount

42 minutes ago, Melody Steinberg said:

We will be going with a group and want to be able to communicate while on board

The WiFi will always be great for messaging thru the app.  The internet will be satellite dependent.

you can easily communicate onboard through the app, which will work well.   There is a messaging component of the app. and you can add each other to your allowed contacts then communicate through that (add to contacts in the app as in some random stranger can't just chat with you unless you were to specifically give them your name to allow it).  In terms of wifi using your own cell service - it may or may not work well, even if you have premium wifi.   Some ships have upgraded, some not.  We've had premium wifi on the last two cruises, and sometimes it worked (even in port), sometimes not.  That is true of texting, calling, downloading.....   

Wifi really varies a lot by ship, and then by where the ship is sailing.  But to call home, you will need to upgrade to premium wifi. But as has been said, you can message home using apps like FB messenger, and possibly use their calling feature (I never tried to do that so can't comment on its feasibility).  For connecting with others onboard the Celebrity app is free, just be aware that you do not get any notification noises or vibrations when a message comes in - it shows up on the screen but you  have to notice it.  Or if you all have basic wif you can message each other using FB messenger or Whatsapp.  

I’ve been on 2 Celebrity Ships in the past 2 months. The Wi-Fi on the Silhouette was pretty bad!  I felt like I was being forced into upgrading to the premium just to get any service, but I didn't do it, and just tried it at different times. I really only use it to check my email and a few things online, but it constantly failed. The Wi-Fi on the Summit was better. I can’t say it was perfect but definitely an improvement from the past experience. Either way I would buy it and hope for the best. 😃