Airport shuttle from pier to JFK (NY)

Sim1979

Hi everyone, just a couple of questions regarding airport shuttle (never taken any airport shuttle with NCL).

I'm doing the 2nd leg panama cruise on the gem in february, so i'm driving to NY and then fly from JFK to panama (not booked through NCL) and then meet back my car when we come back to NY at the end of the cruise... i just don't have a transport from the pier to JFK, so i'm seeking anyone with experience with shuttle or whatever transport from pier to airport.

- Should i use independent transport (like taxi, uber/lift or those annoying private shuttle guys at the port)?

- Should i book a shuttle transport with NCL (i've seen you can book from the shore excursion desk shuttle transport... can i use the shore excursion credit on that?).

- If with NCL, should i wait while on board to book or contact my travel agent right away?

- If booking shuttle with NCL, am i forced to get out of the ship on the very first slot to disembark or there is some other slot available (i don't really care as i don't have a flight to catch up since i'm driving home)

Thanks

Taking an Uber from MCT to JFK will cost you ~$100 

Taking an Uber from MCT to PENN sta is ~$20 , Then from PENN to Jamaica sta is $8  then a short walk to the Airtrain and Airtrain to JFK is $8 (This will take ~1 hour total)

I have no idea what various shuttles would cost or how long it would take.

It certainly can't hurt to find out what NCL charges.  I hope it would be less than the Uber/Lyft prices.  I suspect they would not let you use the short excursion credit, though.

I have not done an NCL transfer in NYC, but we just took one from Port Canaveral and I did not see any specific instructions on times.  It seemed like they just put people on the next available bus and then left when it was full.  I don't know if there is a beginning/end time.

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

And realize that Uber and Lyft are based on demand pricing and when the cruise ships arrive, there is a high demand, so prices escalate quickly. 

Very true I forgot about that, If you walk at a NYC pace you can make it from pier to PENN in just over 25 min. ( I've done it with luggage) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

And realize that Uber and Lyft are based on demand pricing and when the cruise ships arrive, there is a high demand, so prices escalate quickly. 

this is why i always walk one block up towards 11th ave to get away from the surge zone that causes these higher pricing 

• Like 2

Did a curious look-up of NCL's pier-to-JFK price lookup for bus transfer after disembarkation (Feb. 1st) and it's currently priced at $37.50 p/p - not bad.  OP can sign-up and do this onboard, and unless I'm mistaken, it can be offset by the shorex ($50) credit per cabin (please check & ask at the ship's shorex desk)  You will get special colored luggage tag & have an early time to disembark - collect bags downstairs in the luggage hall, and walk over to the bus "staging" area nearby, all on street level. 

If you are parking at JFK's Long Term satellite lots, just get off at the first airport terminal stop with luggage & take the free AirTrain to get your car - sit back & relax and enjoy the ride over to Queens.  

It's 2023, taxi's flat rate to JFK has gone up, I believe it's now around $70 instead of $55 (roughly) + toll and tips.  Rates for Uber/Lyft - often slightly cheaper and car service (we used Carmel) has gone up / will be raised to keep up - ours up about 20%

Bird is right, surge pricing as I've seen them go up on the apps while looking at options ... car service was a 45 minutes wait, Uber jumped by $15 to $20 within minutes and Lyft was up as well, lower from their "base" quote over Uber being the priciest - that was on a weekday morning, toward the tail end of rush hour.  Weekends usually not as bad - February being the middle of winter and could be freezing cold, not necessary easy & fun to haul bags and walk 2 city blocks or more and stand outside to wait for the pickup ... 

Whoa, thanks everyone for the detailed infos

I don't think my girlfriend would like walking in the cold/snow with luggage and stuff, so i think i'll start with the easiest and see with my cruise agent to get the bus transfer from NCL (even though i might not be able to get shore excursion credit, price seems fair).

Thanks again CC community  🙂