Hot off the wire. Health and safety

Cruise5life

Can confirm, NCL email message with PDF delivered to our "In-Box" this morning ... on the January sailing's roll call, seeing that maybe just 1 solo Aussie traveler that's current visiting different countries in Southeast Asia might - might possibly - be affected by this, if and only if s/he is stopping or transiting via HK and/or mainland China due to flight segments booked. 

Otherwise, as is, should not ... besides, crazy routing/flight options & prices traveling thru places mentioned above with their recent "relaxed" protocols.  

NCL are not going to go through every page of every passport looking for an entry to China, Hong Kong or Macau.
Passports for people from that region might get extra scrutany but I doubt they will inspect everyones passports & does that mean everyone from the US has to present a passport now for closed loop, it will be down to honesty on the part of the passeger.

25 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

NCL are not going to go through every page of every passport looking for an entry to China, Hong Kong or Macau.
Passports for people from that region might get extra scrutany but I doubt they will inspect everyones passports & does that mean everyone from the US has to present a passport now for closed loop, it will be down to honesty on the part of the passeger.

And this is one of those things that if you were there just follow the policy. There is likely some legal issues that could come your way if there was a major outbreak, you were shown to be sick, and lied about where you had been.

Its just not worth the headache when you can take 10 mins or whatever it will be to just follow the policy.

1 hour ago, J0Y0US said:

And this is one of those things that if you were there just follow the policy. There is likely some legal issues that could come your way if there was a major outbreak, you were shown to be sick, and lied about where you had been.

Its just not worth the headache when you can take 10 mins or whatever it will be to just follow the policy.

Correct, as I said down to honesty of the passenger.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

There is likely some legal issues that could come your way if there was a major outbreak, you were shown to be sick, and lied about where you had been.

Help me out here.  If I have Covid and there is a major outbreak on the ship, it's my fault?

6 hours ago, LloydJr said:

Help me out here.  If I have Covid and there is a major outbreak on the ship, it's my fault?

Possibly. If you broke a policy you were informed of and chose to LIE to avoid following the policy, then yes it's possibly you would share some culpability if others were negatively impacted by your deception.

7 hours ago, LloydJr said:

8 minutes ago, mtrancher said:

Possibly. If you broke a policy you were informed of and chose to LIE to avoid following the policy, then yes it's possibly you would share some culpability if others were negatively impacted by your deception.

Yup this is what I was talking about.

Look up negligence as it might apply. Its just not worth it because if you simply follow the rules then you essentially are covered since you acted responsibly even if you still cause an outbreak.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

Look up negligence as it might apply. Its just not worth it because if you simply follow the rules then you essentially are covered since you acted responsibly even if you still cause an outbreak.

There is zero possibility of establishing any proof that would hold up in court that a single passenger caused a major outbreak.  The experts still can't even agree on how Covid spreads.

20 hours ago, LloydJr said:

Yes.  You attest to the fact that you do not have COVID. If you cause damages to the cruise line or individual passengers, you are liable. 

1 hour ago, LloydJr said:

There is zero possibility of establishing any proof that would hold up in court that a single passenger caused a major outbreak.  The experts still can't even agree on how Covid spreads.

They don't need to have full proof to file a lawsuit again you in civil court or for NCL to simply charge you for costs incurred that you then need to fight. They can show you bypassed protocol and had COVID on the ship.

Also I am not sure what "experts" you are talking but they know how COVID can spread some may just disagree on the most likely way it spreads.

You may not lose but it will be a headache you can avoid by following the policy and taking the 5 mins or whatever it is to do the testing required under the policy. But I am not your care taker you can do whatever you wish I pushed out the warning that the headache later is not worth the couple minutes saved now.

Things that never will happen do happen at times and people are left with issues to deal with.

57 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

But I am not your care taker you can do whatever you wish I pushed out the warning that the headache later is not worth the couple minutes saved now.

What are you talking about?  I haven't been to China and I'm not testing before cruising.  If I wind up with Covid on the ship, I'm not going to jail or being sued.

Everyone just might to chill out, take 3 steps back & slowly exhale and meditate for a moment.

It's no laughing matter for any travelers from/transiting or happened to get "trapped" with these latest enhanced protocol.  Reading the fineprints - each passport holder are subject to 2 rounds of testing, 1 before boarding their flights to the embarkation port, at least 1 more supervised rapid test within 8 hours of embarkation day (that's like no early than 8 am for a 7 pm sailing ... thus, most likely at the cruise-terminal before being allowed to complete check-in).  Rest of the rules of getting tested once every 48 hours  until day 10 ... translate into 4 more round of testing.  

2 travelers are subject to paying extra, out of pocket, 6 tests each at $99 USD x 2 - that's roughly, what - $1,200, ouch. Unlike many USA cruisers, their healthcare system do not cover/reimburse for these expenses for traveling abroad.  

Otherwise, if they meet & satisfy the written requirements set forth, there are no further requirements that should / must be masked onboard - thus, a big loophole - risk asymptomatically spreading the virus(es) around others where social distancing isn't practical and/or doable, i.e.  If they are carrying the highly evasive subvariants, it's quite possible that by the time the results turned positive or 2 lines on the test strips - hundreds could already be sharing those airborne devils.  Nice ... NOT a foolproof way to handle infection control.  

Might as well cancel their booking, issue them a (partial ??)  FCC as goodwill and tell them to stay home or go back. This has nothing (or, at least, very little) to do with unknowingly lying and misleading but rather - shortcoming of this approach on airborne infection control measures.  

My two cents, strictly, feel free to disagree & digress.  

11 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Rest of the rules of getting tested once every 48 hours  until day 10 ... translate into 4 more round of testing.  

This is not what the requirement states.  It states every 48 hours until they reach the tenth day since they left China, etc.  

Back to the OP: We got the email as well.  Now if NCL would only (timely) notify us that Grand Turk and St Maarten have been cancelled from our February 17th cruise...  that would be great. Maybe they are waiting to cancel Puerto Plata on us too... That way they can be environmentally sensitive by only sending one email...