Day wear on TA crossing with varying temperatures on the crossing ????

Roaming Rover

20 minutes ago, Roaming Rover said:

What is suitable to wear on a transatlantic crossing from Southampton to Barbados

We were on a two way crossing on Aurora in November and found I wore very little of the warmer clothes I took as it was not cold on the ship and was easy to add a jumper and coat if we went out to stroll the prom deck on the colder days.  I took a few long sleeved T-shirts which I did not use apart from travel to/from Southampton and only used short sleeved ones to board/leave the ship.  Otherwise sleeveless T shirts with an overblouse or thin jumper/cardigan in some parts of the ship.  Shorts or 3/4 length pants most of the time for both of us as well, though DH likes his long trousers so wore them on about five or six days in total.  Obviously long pants for dinner, in fact it was quite cold in parts of the Mdr for much of the time imo, so need wraps or light jumper, cardigan or jacket available for then.  Mdr felt cold at times in The Caribbean as we were acclimatised to cooler weather then.  DH wore short sleeved shirts on most non formal evenings though - he is not bothered by draughts from the a/c like I am.

Overall I suggest taking summer staff, but a couple of jumpers and other layers to travel to from the port or to sit out on deck on cooler days.  If the weather is windy they have a habit of not letting you out of the indoor parts of the ship for safety reasons anyway. 

We felt incredibly cold on our return journey from Southampton though, partly because it was during the early Dec cold spell, but also because we were just not used to it!

Edited by tring

42 minutes ago, Roaming Rover said:

What is suitable to wear on a transatlantic crossing from Southampton to Barbados

First time we did it on Britannia in October day out of Southampton it was sunshine all the way, last time we hit really bad weather most of the decks was closed, after Tenerife the weather picked up but was windy most days so the answer to the question who knows.

A Transatlantic crossing from Southampton to Barbados, it depends what time of year you are travelling but I assume it’s K301, I am on this one as well, Tring gives good advice.

First port of call is Tenerife. I have cruised Southampton to Tenerife in November and February, both times it was a bit rough across the Bay of Biscay with cold cutting winds on the decks. So I am taking a wind proof coat and heavy jumper for that part of the cruise plus travelling to Southampton and from Gatwick. However inside the ship anything should be comfortable although there might some be cold spots in the ship such as the theatre or restaurant, so a light jumper for these.

Tenerife is usually quite warm in January around 19 to 21C although it can be overcast with rain sometimes.

Previously I have only done a TA west to east in April so can only guess what the weather will be like between the Canaries and the Caribbean in January.

1 hour ago, Roaming Rover said:

Thank you both for putting my mind at rest will be packing later so will put my jumpers away and replace with Tee shirts!!!! as we are due to travel to  Southampton on  Friday to board Arvia !!!

I was going to say, you not packed yet?

I am....

IMG_20230102_160926268~2.jpg

• Haha 5