Specialty Dining Reservations

Bigcatmd

I am a solo traveler who has been on several NCL ships. I have always enjoyed the Specialty restaurants. I am booked on the Joy for an 11 day cruise on May 1st. 

This cruise was originally a 12 day cruise but NCL got a charter and decided to screw the passengers of this ship over.

My reservation originally included 3 dinners but reduced to 2 when the cruise was shortened. In addition, the shortening of the cruise resulted in the cancellation of Grand Cayman and less included internet minutes. There was a 10% discount for compensation, but there was no way to cancel without losing deposit. 

Sorry, I got off track. 

I like the Specialty dining so much that I added 7 more nights for a total of 9! However, when I went to make reservations the only party numbers were for 2,4,6 and 8. A call to customer service explained that their system did not accept odd numbers for party size!?!? I was told that I would need to make any reservations once I was on the ship, meaning I got the first time slot or the last time slot, if at all. Supervisor explained that I could make reservations for 2 but I would have to use 2 dinner vouchers. This is the stupidest thing. I cancelled 5 of the nights (with them refunding my money, not on board credit) and will take my chances with the other four when I board.

I promised the Supervisor that I would share this with Cruise Critic. 

Please wish me Bon Voyage for my LAST TIME EVER NCL cruise!!!!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bigcatmd said:

However, when I went to make reservations the only party numbers were for 2,4,6 and 8. A call to customer service explained that their system did not accept odd numbers for party size!?!?

this is normal. make your reservation for a party of 2. that is how it is suppose to be done. at the restaurant they will sit you at a regular table for 2. this is the only table size they have. 

and you only use one voucher  you still keep the other voucher for another restaurant

Edited by shof515

Another option is to prebook for 2 and then when onboard, go to reservations agent and change to just one.  That way you have your desired seating time.  Plus, they will not charge you for 2 if only one person eats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigcatmd said:

However, when I went to make reservations the only party numbers were for 2,4,6 and 8

They don't have tables for one, three, five , or seven. If that is the number in your party, you book the next highest table size. If you are solo and have booked a table for two, just show up, tell them you're alone, and they will seat you. No questions asked. Happens all the time.

1 hour ago, mertziek said:

Another option is to prebook for 2 and then when onboard, go to reservations agent and change to just one.

Doing this is a waste of effort and stress. The smallest table in any of the restaurants seats two, it simply doesn't matter if the reservation is for one or two people, you'll get the same table.  Same goes for ANYONE booking an odd-number party - just book for one higher and when you show up just tell them you only have whatever number you have (1, 3, 5, 7) and they will sit you at a table that seats the number of people you booked the reservation for and remove a place-setting.  The only place where accurate party size matters when booking a reservation is Teppanyaki.

I went through that in 2019 when I sailed with my sister and her BF - we booked a table for 4, showed up as 3.  When they asked where #4 was we apologized and said we should have adjusted the reservation but they said it wasn't an issue as we would have gotten the same table anyway.

Edited by hallux
  • Thanks 1

Oh how it would be nice if the ncl shoreside staff would know what they are talking about but no…

Op just book a table for 2 for all of the restaurants that you want. Thats how it’s done. And no, you will not be charged two vouchers per visit, just one.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, the supervisor you spoke with didn't know what she was talking about!

They don't take odd numbers for reservations because tables are designed for even numbers.  Make your reservation for 2 and don't worry about it. I was solo on my recent 15 day Bliss cruise and there was never an issue when I arrived and since I only had one meal, I was only charged for one.