Visa requirements for cruise to Australia

sognare

Cruising from Vancouver to Sydney, Australia. Will be stopping at Tahiti and New Zealand before arriving Sydney, Can anyone confirm what Visa requirements are for a holiday trip. May stay for a few days in Sydney. From my research it appears none is required for Tahiti, an NZeTA for New Zealand. Australia a bit more fuzzy, an ETA subclass 601? Has anyone done this? TIA.

4 hours ago, sognare said:

Cruising from Vancouver to Sydney, Australia. Will be stopping at Tahiti and New Zealand before arriving Sydney, Can anyone confirm what Visa requirements are for a holiday trip. May stay for a few days in Sydney. From my research it appears none is required for Tahiti, an NZeTA for New Zealand. Australia a bit more fuzzy, an ETA subclass 601? Has anyone done this? TIA.

Correct, no visa is required for French Polynesia for stays < 90 days.

Both NZ & Australia are now eTA's, which can be applied for online. The Australian eTA permits you to stay for up to 3 months. These were the requirements I determined for research on an upcoming cruise.

Been to all ports many times, never required a Visa for French Polynesia, never required anything for NZ until they introduced the eTA about 2019 and in Australia we got the eTA for our previous 2 trips.

We always check the Government of Canada's Travel advice and advisories by destination website that states entry/visa requirements, health information, etc.: https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/australia#entryexit.  We purchased our electronic travel authority (ETAs) online for both Australia an NZ in 2020 and it was very easy and quick to receive and the authorities did request to see them.

For Australia you need the Australian ETA app which you can download from Apple or Google (Android). It takes about 5 mins to complete and costs $20. It gets attached to your passport electronically and also shows in your app. Last time we went to Australia (2019) we needed a visa which also attached to your passport. When we landed we went to a machine which checked our passport and gave us the green light to proceed. Never even spoke to anyone. Very easy and efficient system.

Be aware that there are (or at least were) travel websites cleverly selling eTA’s for above the cost to get them from the government. When we went in 2016 my mother accidentally bought hers from one of these sites. It was legit, just more than it would have cost to get it directly.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

My smart phone doesn't have NFC support, which seems to be required by the ETA app, so this could get expensive. Maybe a third-party visa seller would make sense over spending several hundred dollars on upgrading my otherwise-wonderful Samsung A10e!

Started application on the NZeTA app but was a little confused as at the end(before payment)it said cost was $17 plus $35 for the IVL. I didn’t complete as wanted to clarify if this is correct. We will be arriving in New Zealand by cruise ship. It asked the question if staying in NZ. If anyone has completed the process with a Canadian passport(no need for visa) could you please clarify what you answered at that stage and did you only pay $17. 

Thank you in advance. 
Jenni 

Edited by cruiselover04

• 2 weeks later...