Do the board "moderators" ever post about cruising?

This will probably get moved to another wasteland before being totally deleted, but I was wondering if they participate in this board or merely police it.

I think I recall seeing one of the females post about traveling while pregnant, but the three don't seem to be too active. Moderators, please post and let me know what the draw to this board is.

Thanks.

Well -- OK

I live in the heart of North Carolina in a city called Sanford.

I started with Cruise Critic back in 1999. Then I had such grand cruise lines as Commodore, Premiere, and Canaveral. At that time, Commodore was my line of choice. However, over time all three faded away.

I then went to the NCL board before landing here at my final home.

Cruising comes once (sometimes twice a year for me)

While I have not been on every RCCL ship, I have managed to be on every class.

Radiance is my favorite but I do like the Voyager.

I am involved in International Student Exchange. Besides hosting high school students myself, I coordinate placements in my area.

Each year, the student(s) that stay with me experience a cruise. Last year being on the Legend, and next year being on the Enchantment.

My next cruise will be on the Majesty for an international reunion in July.

So, that is me in a nutshell.

Mike

Moderating the boards is a tough job. They do what they can but they have lives too and sometimes there are so many posts to moderate they can only do that. This by the way, is not "official" in any way but I have a freind who is a moderator and I have moderated other groups (on other boards) in the past and pretty much how it goes.

We all also tend to post in fits and starts. Some people will be very active for up to a year then fade off as other things get in the way then come back. Moderators, being human, tend to do the same.

I guess I should add the fact that many of us still maintain our original screen name.

That being said - several Hosts participate while "off duty" and "out of uniform".

Hmmmm, good question. Well, I guess you can see by the number of my posts that I like to participate on the boards, mainly on roll calls. I lost some when we switched to the new system last year (or was it the year before -- time flies), but I do enjoy chatting about cruising. (Just a hint: if you want to see where we're posting, click on our names and then click on "see all posts by..." and you can see the list.)

I've been a member here since right before my first Royal Caribbean cruise and became a moderator quite recently. We had already taken three Princess Cruises before I learned about this website, and I've been chatting here ever since. We've taken four Royal Caribbean cruises and two Celebrity cruises since I joined, and we have two Celebrity cruises booked -- one for fall and one for next spring. We've cruised the Caribbean numerous times, as well as Alaska, Hawaii, and the Mediterranean. Celebrity is currently our favorite line (mainly because of its food quality and service), but Brilliance is our favorite ship. We've sailed her three times and hope to sail her again in the Med in 2007.

I learn something new on these boards almost every day, and I visit several times a day even if I don't post. The Europe Port of Call board, which I now moderate in addition to this board and a few others, gave me invaluable information for planning our Med cruise and made it our best cruise ever. In return, I posted a review, answered questions about our trip, and still try to help out posters who have questions I can answer. That's what I try to encourage on these boards: active participation. If you learn something here, try to give something back. Also, there are a lot of resources on this website that not everyone takes advantage of. Instead of always visiting this board, go to the main page and take a look at all of the other boards. I particularly enjoy reading the member reviews.

What I don't enjoy -- and didn't before I was a moderator -- were folks who post without good intentions. I enjoy different points of view and like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly about people's cruises. I may have been on the same ship and had a completely different experience, but that doesn't invalidate another's point of view nor does it give me the right to be rude. I recognize that people like to have fun here once in a while (I've done it myself), so I try to be fair. I hope I'm doing a decent job.

If you don't see much participation from me here, it's probably because I think the threads are doing fine without my input. (It could also be because I work fulltime and have to be off these boards once in a while!) I may be able to respond to the question that it's easy to get a cab outside the Holiday Inn across from the Miami Pier, but if eight people have already posted that, there's no need for me to chime in. You can be certain that I'm reading and lurking, though. It takes me a few hours each day to get through all of the boards I moderate.

I hope you'll notice us around the boards now that you know where to look for us!

I guess I should add the fact that many of us still maintain our original screen name.

That being said - several Hosts participate while "off duty" and "out of uniform".

In other words you are saying there are, "secret identities"... sneaky. :p

Thank you for your responses. I hope that the two of you didn't think my question was intrusive.

My message board experience has been limited to local fly fishing boards where the moderators are very active posters. Of course, these boards don't have a fraction of the activity of Cruise Critic and if the moderators don't post with regularity, the boards tend to limp along.

I appreciate the work you do, even if a few of my threads have been disposed of (which in hindsight, probably shouldn't have been started in the first place).

guinness67, I was happy to respond. I think you hit the nail on the head: on a board like this, we really don't need to move the action along. You folks do a fine job with that. LOL On some of the other boards, a moderator with experience can keep the discussion flowing. I'm glad to hear the hosts of your boards are actively involved.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

guinness67, I was happy to respond. I think you hit the nail on the head: on a board like this, we really don't need to move the action along. You folks do a fine job with that. LOL On some of the other boards, a moderator with experience can keep the discussion flowing. I'm glad to hear the hosts of your boards are actively involved.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

"Keep the discussion flowing"...HA! If the "discussions" on this board "flowed" any more than they do, it would be a flood!!

I have enjoyed (and not enjoyed) this board for about 3+ years. I just go away when it gets irritating, so when I come back the irritation is gone.

I usually can't get past the first page of threads, either, since there are so many interesting things being written.

Good work, moderators!

Hey all,

My first cruise was back in 1996, on the now defunct Royal Majesty cruiseline from Boston to Bermuda. I have told the story many, many times on these boards, but in a nutshell it was the weekend when Hurricane Edouard decided to snake its way up the coast and touch ground in Boston. We spent the first 24 hours aboard the ship in Boston Harbor, then the capitan decided to set sail. It was a 30,000 Gross Ton vessel, the we sailed right thru the eye of the Cat 2-3 hurricane. What a rush!! Yeah, right... the joke onboard was the you could tell the drunks from the sober passengers because the sobers ones were staggering all over the place with the rocking of the ship, and the drunks were walking straight lines. Anything that wasn't bolted down was flying all over our stateroom (including a full pitcher of water)... and THAT was my introduction to cruising. Amazing that we decided to give it another go.

After that memorable experience, we cruised a couple of times a year, on average. We stayed mostly with Royal Caribbean ships, although we really enjoyed the Golden Princess. That was before baby #1 in 2003 :rolleyes: Baby #2 came in 2004, and we decided to wait until the younger one is at least 3 before we attempt a family cruise. Hopefully, a cruise in late 2007 is in the forecast for us.

I have been on these boards since 2000, and many of the members "know" me. I get a lot of personal emails, and I am more than happy to assist and advise any of my fellow Cruise Critics.

Thanks, Guinness, for giving us the opportunity to introduce ourselves to some of the newer members on the board.

Ahhh....now you are going to hear from "all" the moderators (just teasing). I was just discussing that I wanted to put something over on the Celebrity board (where I moderate along with Host Walt) about what Moderators really do here on the boards. I realized on a recent cruise that even though many participate on the boards that there isn't necessarily a great understanding of our role here. I think Mike, Karen and Jacquelyn have done a great job explaining our roles. I actively participate on the Celebrity boards when I think I can make a contribution to a thread and I'm posting daily to roll calls for ships I'm sailing on. I see my primary role as a moderator to ensure that the boards remain friendly and welcoming to all. With such a large community (there were less than 25,000 members when I joined Cruise Critic a few years ago) and so many personalities it does take quite a bit of time to do our job well. I often wish I could post even more....but unfortunately there are only so many hours in a day.

By the way, this is a volunteer position for the moderators and most of us have full time jobs and families. But be assured, we love these boards! :)

Archived