Contacting Celebrity and Travel Agents

Sunsibar

Hi.  My travel agent is not always timely when I have questions.  I know the general policy is that all communications with Celebrity should be through your travel agent if you have one but what do you do if your travel agent is unresponsive?

On a more general note, are travel agents today really "advisors?"  I keep reading that the value added for booking with a travel agent is the advice and guidance you get.  I contacted several travel agents before booking my cruise and they were mostly sales people as opposed to counselors.  It actually makes me sad because I want to form a long lasting relationship with someone for all my travel needs. 

Thanks.   

All travel/cruise agents are not alike :).  Some are much better, at hand holding, than others.  It is up to you to find an agent that best meets your personal needs and appropriate level of responsiveness.  While some of us need very little help or counseling, others do appreciate advice.

The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) runs an excellent (and comprehensive) certification program for travel professionals.  Their designations range from "Cruise Counselor, Accredited Cruise Counselor, Master Cruise Counselor to Elite Cruise Counselors.  Those who have the MCC or ECC (rare) designation have a lot of training and experience.  You can certainly call around to a few reputable cruise agencies and ask if they have anyone with these designations and have those folks assigned to your account.  The agents that have gone through the training (and hassles) to get these designations are generally well informed and true professionals.

One other suggestion is that when you are on cruises, take advantage of opportunities (such as over cocktails or sharing tables in the MDR) to socialize and chat with fellow cruisers.  When you meet well seasoned cruisers do not hesitate to ask how they book their cruises and if they have ever found a decent travel/cruise agency and agent.  Despite more than 50 years of extensive cruising we are still learning new things from others while on ships.

Hank

• Like 1

I think  it is hard to find  a GOOD TA these days

Some online places  are more order takers than travel advisors/counsellors

Not sure the requirement  if any for working in a travel agency in the USA

Here in Ontario  they need to have some certification

I would ask friends family  or fellow travellers you meet for some recommend people to use

Most people just want to book something online   & no need for anyone to help plan their trip