Cell service in Bermuda?

uneamie

I realize there is no cell service on the ship....but once we dock is Bermuda too far away to get a cell signal to call home in the states? I am leaving my disabled brother with my son and I really need some connection other than wifi emails. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, uneamie said:

but once we dock is Bermuda too far away to get a cell signal to call home in the states?

You're not going to connect to a US cell tower while in Bermuda.  If you cell plan has international coverage you can likely get service on a local network though.

• Like 2

My phone uses AT&T. You can go on their website and book for $50 their cruise package. Talk and text for a month. They have a list of all the ships covered including NCL, Celebrity and Princess. I do it every cruise. We have used the phone multiple times in the past for family emergency and doctor calls. Once my husband broke a tooth in Japan and we called from Tokyo to book an appointment for the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend . We drove right from the airport to the office. If we didn’t have phone coverage ……

• Like 1

Bermuda has excellent 4G LTE cellular services all over its chain of small islands with a population of 65,000 residents, hence - 5G coverage isn't a priority nor really needed.  GSM carriers are the main carriers for the island, with both AT&T and T-Mobile's roaming partners in place.  Those using VZW will also have very good roaming coverage.  Just check with your home carrier's global and/or international support desk on the details.  

Once the cruise ships are making its turn near St. George's on the east end, cellular signals are usually good enough for voice services initially, and then also data connections - even as it seemed to turn back out to sea to reach Dockyard b/c of the coral reefs that ships must carefully navigate safely thru to avoid hitting the sandy & rocky bottom.  Cellular signal is good to excellent at Dockyard where most cruise ships dock these days - especially on whichever side facing the shops & pier, and Clocktower Mall, etc.  If you are on the higher/upper deck of mega ships, signal might not be as strong, you'll just have to move to a different spot - but, we've on H20 which is Deck 16 and no problem with coverage.

WiFi signals from Dockyard (which isn't free) is accessible on the pier below, but it will not reach the mid to upper decks at all - signals picked up on Deck 7 and 8 on ship's "Waterfront" are barely usable ... different technologies vs. cellular signals.  

iPhone users might find iMessage and Facetime to be a good alternative.  Android users can use Google Voice instead of "classic" calling as the cost of data might be more frugal & less expensive.  All these depends on your "phone" and cellular plan subscription, and how comfortable you are in staying in touch with your son.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

My phone uses AT&T. You can go on their website and book for $50 their cruise package. Talk and text for a month. They have a list of all the ships covered including NCL, Celebrity and Princess. I do it every cruise. We have used the phone multiple times in the past for family emergency and doctor calls. Once my husband broke a tooth in Japan and we called from Tokyo to book an appointment for the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend . We drove right from the airport to the office. If we didn’t have phone coverage ……

I have Cricket that uses At&T....so I definately will check this out. Thanks so much! 

4 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Bermuda has excellent 4G LTE cellular services all over its chain of small islands with a population of 65,000 residents, hence - 5G coverage isn't a priority nor really needed.  GSM carriers are the main carriers for the island, with both AT&T and T-Mobile's roaming partners in place.  Those using VZW will also have very good roaming coverage.  Just check with your home carrier's global and/or international support desk on the details.  

Once the cruise ships are making its turn near St. George's on the east end, cellular signals are usually good enough for voice services initially, and then also data connections - even as it seemed to turn back out to sea to reach Dockyard b/c of the coral reefs that ships must carefully navigate safely thru to avoid hitting the sandy & rocky bottom.  Cellular signal is good to excellent at Dockyard where most cruise ships dock these days - especially on whichever side facing the shops & pier, and Clocktower Mall, etc.  If you are on the higher/upper deck of mega ships, signal might not be as strong, you'll just have to move to a different spot - but, we've on H20 which is Deck 16 and no problem with coverage.

WiFi signals from Dockyard (which isn't free) is accessible on the pier below, but it will not reach the mid to upper decks at all - signals picked up on Deck 7 and 8 on ship's "Waterfront" are barely usable ... different technologies vs. cellular signals.  

iPhone users might find iMessage and Facetime to be a good alternative.  Android users can use Google Voice instead of "classic" calling as the cost of data might be more frugal & less expensive.  All these depends on your "phone" and cellular plan subscription, and how comfortable you are in staying in touch with your son.  

Thank you for your detailed info. I appreciate it. It will come in handy! 

21 minutes ago, uneamie said:

Thank you for your detailed info. I appreciate it. It will come in handy! 

Good, all of us just like to be helpful.  Check with Cricket about your phone plan's ability - my quick check on their coverage not showing anything for Bermuda, it's a MNVO that uses AT&T's signal/tower for domestic services, and select plans that's good for Mexico & Canada.  

• Like 1

Yep...i just checked. They do not cover Bermuda. GO figure! I checked with AT&T and there is no International coverage for Bermuda with them either. 

15 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Good, all of us just like to be helpful.  Check with Cricket about your phone plan's ability - my quick check on their coverage not showing anything for Bermuda, it's a MNVO that uses AT&T's signal/tower for domestic services, and select plans that's good for Mexico & Canada.  

12 hours ago, uneamie said:

Yep...i just checked. They do not cover Bermuda. GO figure! I checked with AT&T and there is no International coverage for Bermuda with them either. 

Yes there is coverage with AT&T. AT&T has international roaming in Bermuda,. A travel pass is $10 a day. I have done that many times in Bermuda. Cricket and othe MVNO's usually don't have international roaming. Those type of carriers are not good for international travel. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, uneamie said:

I have Cricket that uses At&T....so I definately will check this out. Thanks so much! 

12 hours ago, uneamie said:

If you are an AT&T customer, they offer an International Day Pass which charges $10 / day to use your at home minutes/ data (for us, that’s unlimited / unlimited). 

You are looking for an international plan to add to your basic service. You won’t get it for free (which I think is the gist of your posts). 

39 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you are an AT&T customer, they offer an International Day Pass which charges $10 / day to use your at home minutes/ data (for us, that’s unlimited / unlimited). 

You are looking for an international plan to add to your basic service. You won’t get it for free (which I think is the gist of your posts). 

They are not a direct AT&T customer. They have Cricket which uses AT&T's network in the US. Unfortunately for OP Cricket does not offer international roaming. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, uneamie said:

Yep...i just checked. They do not cover Bermuda. GO figure!  I checked with AT&T ...

As other 2 posts noted, AT&T does have international roaming coverage in Bermuda, if you are their direct subscribers, dependent on the specific plan's "native" coverage - and/or with add-on charge for voice, text & data access while abroad, i.e. Bermuda or Nassau,  

Looks like you aren't sailing until May and you have plan to change to another MNVO carrier ... if T-Mobile coverage is good, you might want to consider using (as a suggestion only) Mint Mobile instead, their unlimited plan are very competitive, using T-Mobile & partner's network when roaming is supported (and, fees paid in advance with funds deposited)   Mint with the add-on works in Bermuda b/c we have a backup line with them - add $10 to the prepaid account balance for roaming, allowing for voice, text & data access while on the island.  

Whether it's with Cricket or Mint, or similar MNVO carriers with AT&T, T-Mo and even Verizon's partners - there is no services onboard the ship while at sea, only when you are in range of land's cellular tower signals - and, if you plan is correctly provisioned for it, that you get "services".  Carrier's help desk is usually accessible from abroad, away from home - you should have their toll-free and direct # to reach them (usually at no charge even when calling outside the U.S.)  

But, if you can manage & familiar with - and your smartphone/iPhone is WiFi enabled/supported - you can do WiFi calling (VoIP) using cellular or hotspot/"WiFi" data free, from places like Bermuda and Nassau, etc.  

BTW, I forgot to mention, Clocktower Mall at Dockyard has free, limited WiFi access for visitors to use - a simple registration will provide you with 30 minutes of data access - we've tested in last May while docked there for 2 days, much - much faster than ship's satellite WiFi paid plan !!  With it, you can do WiFi calling.  Bermuda's paid WiFi plans for visitors are still available & sold, it's not expensive but the signal isn't really reachable & usable onboard the ship, unless you find a good spot on the Waterfront outside closest to the pier building ... you can usually spot off-duty crew members hanging out with the laptops, iPads and other mobile devices, etc.  See screenshots below - 

Screenshot_20220512-121836.png

Screenshot_20220512-121158.png

DW and I switch to Google Fi (T-Mobile MNVO) when we travel abroad, coverage for voice, text & data expanded from 130 countries in 2015 to over 200 countries in 2022 and it is very affordable.  Mint Mobile provides 1 of our lines with unlimited voice & text and 4GB monthly data, plus international roaming - under $20/mo taxes & fees all inclusive, prepaid ahead on a yearly basis. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

DW and I switch to Google Fi (T-Mobile MNVO)

This is my daily service provider.  I've had no trouble using it in any cruise destination so far, but I didn't have them for my 2014 cruise to Bermuda...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mking8288 said:

As other 2 posts noted, AT&T does have international roaming coverage in Bermuda, if you are their direct subscribers, dependent on the specific plan's "native" coverage - and/or with add-on charge for voice, text & data access while abroad, i.e. Bermuda or Nassau,  

Looks like you aren't sailing until May and you have plan to change to another MNVO carrier ... if T-Mobile coverage is good, you might want to consider using (as a suggestion only) Mint Mobile instead, their unlimited plan are very competitive, using T-Mobile & partner's network when roaming is supported (and, fees paid in advance with funds deposited)   Mint with the add-on works in Bermuda b/c we have a backup line with them - add $10 to the prepaid account balance for roaming, allowing for voice, text & data access while on the island.  

Whether it's with Cricket or Mint, or similar MNVO carriers with AT&T, T-Mo and even Verizon's partners - there is no services onboard the ship while at sea, only when you are in range of land's cellular tower signals - and, if you plan is correctly provisioned for it, that you get "services".  Carrier's help desk is usually accessible from abroad, away from home - you should have their toll-free and direct # to reach them (usually at no charge even when calling outside the U.S.)  

But, if you can manage & familiar with - and your smartphone/iPhone is WiFi enabled/supported - you can do WiFi calling (VoIP) using cellular or hotspot/"WiFi" data free, from places like Bermuda and Nassau, etc.  

BTW, I forgot to mention, Clocktower Mall at Dockyard has free, limited WiFi access for visitors to use - a simple registration will provide you with 30 minutes of data access - we've tested in last May while docked there for 2 days, much - much faster than ship's satellite WiFi paid plan !!  With it, you can do WiFi calling.  Bermuda's paid WiFi plans for visitors are still available & sold, it's not expensive but the signal isn't really reachable & usable onboard the ship, unless you find a good spot on the Waterfront outside closest to the pier building ... you can usually spot off-duty crew members hanging out with the laptops, iPads and other mobile devices, etc.  See screenshots below - 

Screenshot_20220512-121836.png

Screenshot_20220512-121158.png

DW and I switch to Google Fi (T-Mobile MNVO) when we travel abroad, coverage for voice, text & data expanded from 130 countries in 2015 to over 200 countries in 2022 and it is very affordable.  Mint Mobile provides 1 of our lines with unlimited voice & text and 4GB monthly data, plus international roaming - under $20/mo taxes & fees all inclusive, prepaid ahead on a yearly basis. 

Awesome....thank you so much for all this detail. I am going to copy it. :)

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yeah....we are an indirect At&T customer via Cricket. I really don't care if it cost me a reasonable charge. I just don't want a $100 roaming bill when I get home. 

So essentially if my carrier does not include International services and I decide not to change my carrier ( have to look into all those recommended), essentially I can make WiFi calls in port at a "hot spot" some of which are at the Mall there?  I know I'd be using data and maybe paying roaming charges, but my calls will all be short and sweet. Just to check on my disabled brother. Everything else I can do on Facebook messaging on the ship with my Wifi credits. Thank you to everyone who responded....so appreciated! :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, uneamie said:

So essentially if my carrier does not include International services and I decide not to change my carrier ( have to look into all those recommended), essentially I can make WiFi calls in port at a "hot spot" some of which are at the Mall there?  I know I'd be using data and maybe paying roaming charges, but my calls will all be short and sweet. Just to check on my disabled brother. Everything else I can do on Facebook messaging on the ship with my Wifi credits. Thank you to everyone who responded....so appreciated! :classic_biggrin:

There is no roaming charge with WiFi calling. Also if you have WiFi on the ship if you have good WiFi you can use WIFi calling. No roaming charges.You only pay for your WiFi package on the ship. The only caveat is not all phones support WiFi calling. What kind of phone do you have?

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

There is no roaming charge with WiFi calling. Also if you have WiFi on the ship if you have good WiFi you can use WIFi calling. No roaming charges.You only pay for your WiFi package on the ship. The only caveat is not all phones support WiFi calling. What kind of phone do you have?

I have an IPhone. I just checked and all I have to do is "enable it" Thanks

• Like 1

18 hours ago, uneamie said:

I have an IPhone. I just checked and all I have to do is "enable it" Thanks

Its becoming a bit more rare than it used to be (mainly because most major phone carriers offer very competitive daily roaming fees internationally these days) but I believe you can still rent an internationally enabled phone for the duration of your trip. If you don't switch carriers (which could make sense if you plan to travel internationally more in the future) this would provide you with the ability to make and receive calls without being on Wifi and give your son a number that he can reach you at. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Its becoming a bit more rare than it used to be (mainly because most major phone carriers offer very competitive daily roaming fees internationally these days) but I believe you can still rent an internationally enabled phone for the duration of your trip. If you don't switch carriers (which could make sense if you plan to travel internationally more in the future) this would provide you with the ability to make and receive calls without being on Wifi and give your son a number that he can reach you at. 

This sounds like another good idea.....thank you for responding! :classic_biggrin:

• 1 month later...

I will be taking an NCL cruise that will be in Bermuda for 3 days.  

Will my Verizon $10/day International roaming work from Bermuda from the cruise ship on the days we are docked there? 

Thank you