NCL It’s Been a While-General Questions

Momof3gurlz

We have a cruise coming up at the end of the month on the Encore, our 5th with NCL (we sail mostly with RC).  It’s been 5 years since we were on an NCL ship so I’m a little rusty.  We’re also traveling with friends who are first time cruisers so I want to be sure to share accurate information with them.  As of now, these are my questions (mostly about internet) although I may come back with more. Thanks in advance for any help!

-We have Free At Sea which I believe includes 150 minutes.  If one wants to upgrade to unlimited internet, is anything credited towards that? Or should we wait until the 150 minutes are used up, then add for only the remaining days?

-I think I read there’s an activation fee for both the internet and to use the chat feature in the app.  Does anyone know how much these fees are?

-I also read (when I say ‘read’, I mean Google so I’m not sure how old the information is) that only a few ships have “in-room” WiFi (Encore being one that does not have it).  Is this correct?

-I know the process on RC for using internet, etc. just want to confirm it’s the same on NCL. We put our phones (iPhones) in Airplane mode, connect or sign-in to ship internet and we can then access apps, websites, email, iMessage family with iPhones and use WiFi calling.  
-Are dining rooms still open for lunch on embarkation day?

-Royal has My Time Dining but they still recommend you reserve a time in advance.  Is it the same on NCL? We’ve made specialty dining reservations already, I just can’t recall for main dining.  

31 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

-I also read (when I say ‘read’, I mean Google so I’m not sure how old the information is) that only a few ships have “in-room” WiFi (Encore being one that does not have it).  Is this correct?

Not sure what this even means at all.  Wi-fi is available all over the ship.  Been on the Encore twice, pre and post pandemic and used the Wi-Fi in my room (as I have on every NCL ship). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s just something I read on a cruise blog, knowing you can’t trust much of what you read on those.  Hence, my asking here.  

“While wifi is available on all NCL ships, some offer a limited range of connectivity. For example, the following ships offer In-Stateroom wifi access: Norwegian Bliss, Breakaway, Dawn, Epic, Gem, Getaway, Jade, Jewel, Pearl, Sky, Spirit, Star, Sun, Pride of America, and Prima.“

Thank you for clarifying that the above is incorrect.  

**I meant to quote @debenson0723

Edited by Momof3gurlz

Current Terms and Conditions for Internet package:  (I underlined a few of your ?'d items.)

If you log into your account, you can see if there is an Internet upgrade offer that would be more beneficial for you. (Look for "Explore and Plan", then, under "What's Onboard" look down for "Internet & Photo Pkgs."

Internet Package (Free WiFi)
Internet package is based on number of nights.
75 minutes per person for 3-6 Day Cruises.
150 minutes per person for 7-11 Day Cruises.
300 minutes per person for 12+ Day Cruises.
Offer will be applied to the 1st and 2nd guest in the stateroom.
Internet package is per person. Two logins per stateroom.
Can be used only on one device at a time.
Package is limited to number of minutes and doesn’t allow streaming.
Internet package is not available at Great Stirrup Cay or Harvest Caye.
Internet package includes activation fee.

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We have a cruise coming up at the end of the month on the Encore, our 5th with NCL (we sail mostly with RC).  It’s been 5 years since we were on an NCL ship so I’m a little rusty.  We’re also traveling with friends who are first time cruisers so I want to be sure to share accurate information with them.  As of now, these are my questions (mostly about internet) although I may come back with more. Thanks in advance for any help!

-We have Free At Sea which I believe includes 150 minutes.  If one wants to upgrade to unlimited internet, is anything credited towards that? Or should we wait until the 150 minutes are used up, then add for only the remaining days?

-I think I read there’s an activation fee for both the internet and to use the chat feature in the app.  Does anyone know how much these fees are?

-I know the process on RC for using internet, etc. just want to confirm it’s the same on NCL. We put our phones (iPhones) in Airplane mode, connect or sign-in to ship internet and we can then access apps, websites, email, iMessage family with iPhones and use WiFi calling.  
-Are dining rooms still open for lunch on embarkation day?

-Royal has My Time Dining but they still recommend you reserve a time in advance.  Is it the same on NCL? We’ve made specialty dining reservations already, I just can’t recall for main dining.  

The 150 minutes can be used as credit toward an unlimited plan. You should see that on you online MyNCL account under Summary. 

Wi-Fi is available in all staterooms. 

Just like Voom. Airplane mode. Wi-Fi on. Connect to the ship’s Wi-Fi. You can access all of the planning and account information using the NCL app and ship’s Wi-Fi. When you want get on the internet, you log on/log off. Like Voom, it is one device at a time, but no restrictions on using the account on multiple devices. 

The chat feature requires each device to pay a $9ish fee. It’s like Royal’s chat that does not work well. I would avoid. 

The Taste and Savor dining rooms will be open on embarkation day Dec 6 aft. Also the buffet and The Local pub. The Observation Lounge Deck 15 forward will have a light lunch. 

While you can, there is no need to make MDR reservations. All of the complimentary dining is “MyTime” and NCL does it a lot more efficiently than Royal. 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

Current Terms and Conditions for Internet package:  (I underlined a few of your ?'d items.)

If you log into your account, you can see if there is an Internet upgrade offer that would be more beneficial for you. (Look for "Explore and Plan", then, under "What's Onboard" look down for "Internet & Photo Pkgs."

Internet Package (Free WiFi)
Internet package is based on number of nights.
75 minutes per person for 3-6 Day Cruises.
150 minutes per person for 7-11 Day Cruises.
300 minutes per person for 12+ Day Cruises.
Offer will be applied to the 1st and 2nd guest in the stateroom.
Internet package is per person. Two logins per stateroom.
Can be used only on one device at a time.
Package is limited to number of minutes and doesn’t allow streaming.
Internet package is not available at Great Stirrup Cay or Harvest Caye.
Internet package includes activation fee.

52 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The 150 minutes can be used as credit toward an unlimited plan. You should see that on you online MyNCL account under Summary. 

Wi-Fi is available in all staterooms. 

Just like Voom. Airplane mode. Wi-Fi on. Connect to the ship’s Wi-Fi. You can access all of the planning and account information using the NCL app and ship’s Wi-Fi. When you want get on the internet, you log on/log off. Like Voom, it is one device at a time, but no restrictions on using the account on multiple devices. 

The chat feature requires each device to pay a $9ish fee. It’s like Royal’s chat that does not work well. I would avoid. 

The Taste and Savor dining rooms will be open on embarkation day Dec 6 aft. Also the buffet and The Local pub. The Observation Lounge Deck 15 forward will have a light lunch. 

While you can, there is no need to make MDR reservations. All of the complimentary dining is “MyTime” and NCL does it a lot more efficiently than Royal. 

Thank you both!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this back up as I have a few additional questions.  Right now it’s $178.50 to upgrade to unlimited internet from our Free At Sea.  This is the regular pre cruise price of $25.50 per day x 7.  It doesn’t appear any discount or credit is being given for the 150 free minutes? So my question is, can we use up our 150 free minutes each, then add the unlimited plan for the remaining days at the onboard price of $29.99?  For example, if the free minutes last 3 nights, we add the unlimited plan and are only charged for the remaining 4 nights?

Also, does NCL still do a White Night?

49 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Bumping this back up as I have a few additional questions.  Right now it’s $178.50 to upgrade to unlimited internet from our Free At Sea.  This is the regular pre cruise price of $25.50 per day x 7.  It doesn’t appear any discount or credit is being given for the 150 free minutes? So my question is, can we use up our 150 free minutes each, then add the unlimited plan for the remaining days at the onboard price of $29.99?  For example, if the free minutes last 3 nights, we add the unlimited plan and are only charged for the remaining 4 nights?

Also, does NCL still do a White Night?

If you want credit from your 150mins against an unlimited plan you have to upgrade before you use any minutes. They only sell the unlimited plans up to the end of day 2 after that you can just buy minutes add-ons. There is a tactic to not use minutes or buy unlimited on Day 1, instead buy the unlimited plan with your minutes discount after midnight and there’s a day’s charge taken off the cost of the unlimited plan so you only pay for 6 days rather than 7. 

white hot party has been replaced with the glow party, mostly still folks in white but neon colours now added to the mic

Edited by eileeshb

15 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

If you want credit from your 150mins against an unlimited plan you have to upgrade before you use any minutes. They only sell the unlimited plans up to the end of day 2 after that you can just buy minutes add-ons. There is a tactic to not use minutes or buy unlimited on Day 1, instead buy the unlimited plan with your minutes discount after midnight and there’s a day’s charge taken off the cost of the unlimited plan so you only pay for 6 days rather than 7. 

white hot party has been replaced with the glow party, mostly still folks in white but neon colours now added to the mic

Thank you.  But if I buy on Day 2, I would pay $29.99 x 6 or $180 for 6 days worth.  Might as well buy it now for $178.  Unless I’m missing something.  

34 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Thank you.  But if I buy on Day 2, I would pay $29.99 x 6 or $180 for 6 days worth.  Might as well buy it now for $178.  Unless I’m missing something.  

I’ll be pre purchasing the WiFi upgrade myself as I suspect NCL will inevitably be putting the price up sometime soon.