I left my (cheap) earrings on Glory. Any shot on getting them back?

spleenstomper

I’m turning into my mother. 

They are inexpensive and from Tuesday morning, but my MIL gave them to me for Christmas and I actually liked them. Minimalist, small oval turquoise. I left them where the two waters you can buy are (like by the desk under the TV) and on that metal plate where the two glasses are. 

If anyone is on glory, cabin 9249 starboard forward. Juan is the steward (he was great). 

Is there a lost and found? I’d like to at least try to get them back. My MIL liked the earrings for herself but gave them to me instead. I feel really bad about this. 

thanks. 

Edited by spleenstomper

This happened to me back in 2006, on the Glory.  It was my wedding ring.  We had only been married 20 years at the time.  I would put it in the safe at night while sleeping, then missed it while cleaning out the safe before leaving for disembarking. (Things can get hectic on the last morning)

Did not realize it until well into our 10 hour drive home.  Through a lot of helpful people on CruiseCritic I was able to contact the ship and they were able to retrieve my ring from the safe and send it UPS to me.

By the way, still married, this year will be 37 years and I still have the ring.

• Like 14

With those safes having the shelf-like ridge that runs all along the bottom inside and the loose little piece of carpet pad on the bottom, it's easy for small items to slip into unseen nooks.  I have found a ring and an earring in my cabin safe on Embarkation Day (while ship was still in port) on two separate cruises and immediately took them down to Guest Services to be placed in Lost & Found.  Each time I hoped the owner (presumably the guest that just vacated my cabin a couple hours ago) could be tracked down and reunited with their lost jewelry before leaving the port.  I don't know how likely that would be, but one can hope.

Always check every nook and cranny of your safe before debarking, y'all.😉

I've heard many stories of people having their items returned to them through Carnival's Lost & Found over the years.  Fingers crossed for and good luck to OP and all those in the same situation.🙂

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jb58 said:

By the way, still married, this year will be 37 years and I still have the ring.

Congratulations! Both on getting your ring back, and being married 37 years!!

• Like 3

What happened is, I made this my spa cruise. I had 3 massages, 1 facial and 3 acupuncture sessions. I put the earrings on the silver plate and even thought to myself that it was a bad place since they were sort of behind something and I did nothing about it and then I ran off to the spa. 

We debarked with luggage and they said they would call around 8:15 so I woke up at 7 and then while in the shower at. 7:15, they called us to leave ! My son was still sleeping! So that was a last minute grab and dash.

The earrings probably cost no more than $25. I’d like to try and get them back though. It’s ok if I don’t get them back. 

The cruise was great! I did my part to keep CCL afloat lol with all of my spa purchases. (I went crazy). 

I did notice some things though. We didn’t eat in the dining room at all. As far as I could remember, bacon was only served once in 6 days at the buffet. 

I forgot how much I love Cozumel. It’s always a good day. 

I’ll make a post this week about it. I didn’t take many pics.

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jb58 said:

This happened to me back in 2006, on the Glory.  It was my wedding ring.  We had only been married 20 years at the time.  I would put it in the safe at night while sleeping, then missed it while cleaning out the safe before leaving for disembarking. (Things can get hectic on the last morning)

Did not realize it until well into our 10 hour drive home.  Through a lot of helpful people on CruiseCritic I was able to contact the ship and they were able to retrieve my ring from the safe and send it UPS to me.

Wow! I’m so glad you got it back! I didn’t even open my safe, but I do hear of many finding left jewelry in there. 

If they do find these earrings, it’s probably going to cost more to ship them back to me than they cost. Lol 

Its good to hear that people do get their stuff back. 

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 3:20 PM, ShakyBeef said:

With those safes having the shelf-like ridge that runs all along the bottom inside and the loose little piece of carpet pad on the bottom, it's easy for small items to slip into unseen nooks.  I have found a ring and an earring in my cabin safe on Embarkation Day (while ship was still in port) on two separate cruises and immediately took them down to Guest Services to be placed in Lost & Found.  Each time I hoped the owner (presumably the guest that just vacated my cabin a couple hours ago) could be tracked down and reunited with their lost jewelry before leaving the port.  I don't know how likely that would be, but one can hope.

I've heard many stories of people having their items returned to them through Carnival's Lost & Found over the years.  Fingers crossed for and good luck to OP and all those in the same situation.🙂

This makes me feel good!

Last cruise we were on I found what was obviously someone's wedding ring/engagement ring in our safe... about day 3 of the week long cruise.  It had gotten lost under that little edge and I was reaching in for something and felt it.

It was an expensive ring and real (we know diamonds), I took it down to guest service and told them I had found it.  She wrote down our room number.  The whole time after that I was thinking to myself I REALLY hope it goes to lost and found and finds it way to the owner and not in someone else's pocket and home with them.  So, it is good to know people report it does happen. 

Just as a side note and suggestion to others.  I always select my jewelry I want to take for every cruise (for me its a fun part of packing - "Let me see we what gets to come out of the safe this trip") and after years of trying different jewelry boxes, roles, cases, etc.  I had an epiphany one day while in Dollar Tree.  I bought a little plastic box for $1 at the dollar store that is designed to hold little nuts, bolts, etc.  It is very thin (like 1/2-3/4") with multiple plastic compartments and a snap shut lid.  Keeps all the jewelry from tangling during travel, easy to pack in my shoulder bag and fits in the safe on board nicely and I don't have to worry about anything getting loose.  I even use them in my own safe at home to keep all my pieces organized.

Kind of like this one, but mine has a few more slots:

View Jot Plastic 9-Compartment Organizer Case

View Jot Plastic 9-Compartment Organizer Case

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My hubbs discovered he had lost his wedding ring but had no idea when he lost it. At dinner that evening, it was returned to him. Our room stewart had found it in the bedding, and hand-delivered it to the Maitre d', who delivered it to our table. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

My hubbs discovered he had lost his wedding ring but had no idea when he lost it. At dinner that evening, it was returned to him. Our room stewart had found it in the bedding, and hand-delivered it to the Maitre d', who delivered it to our table. 

I say it all the time... room stewards at the best.  I have accidently had a brain fart and walked out and left my jewelry sitting on counter.  Came back, still there (after they cleaned).

These guys and gals livelihood is on the line and I swear you could leave a stack of hundos sitting there and they would dust around it.  Good, honest, HARD working people.  Never (in almost 50 cruises) had one bad experience.

It's so bad we have deliberately thrown things in the garbage only to have them pull it out and leave it on the counter (which we deduced was "just" in case it fell in and we didn't mean to throw it away).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

At least you have a chance.  Unfortunately,  Ginger D was wearing some Black Hills Gold hoops that I had given her as a birthday gift when we stepped outside and one blew overboard.  We take the other one on more cruises with the hope of meeting a pirate that we can gift it to.

I know that I'm not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition, but I don't care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I have never used the safe in our room.  I am too afraid I will forget to check it and leave something in it.  We don't leave anything remotely valuable out in the open, but I trust the stewards, and besides, I don't think they have time to go through my cabin to look for stuff worth stealing.

And except for my plain wedding band,  I don't bring any good jewelry with me when I travel.  One less thing to worry about.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2023 at 9:20 PM, ShakyBeef said:

Words of wisdom, these. On my Horizon cruise a few years ago, I entered my room and found a set of Cadillac keys in the safe. As we were sailing out of Port Canaveral, I can only imagine the poor previous sailor had likely made it all the way to Orlando (or beyond!) before realizing their mistake. I swiftly ran them down to Guest Services, but who knows if they passed them to port personnel before sailing! 😳

OP, I truly hope you get your earrings back! 

• Like 3

I lost my cell phone on an excursion in Cayman Island several years ago. Reported it to Guest Services, called and canceled phone service, etc. I was so upset that I lost all my pictures most of all. 

About 6 months later, I received a call from Carnival that someone had returned my phone in on a different ship that day. Some how they tracked me down and returned the phone!  So you never know……..

• Like 4

I use a travel jewelry case like use this:

Picture 4 of 7

The whole thing is about 5 x 5 x 2 1/2" and fits easily in the safe with plenty of room for other valuables and cash.

Edited by ShakyBeef
left out a word
  • Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 9:20 AM, ultrafighter said:

Any luck, @spleenstomper?

No, nothing. I’ll go to Tuesday Morning and try to find an identical pair. Or Etsy. I just don’t want my MIL to know I lost them so soon after she gave them to me. 

I put them in such a stupid place that it’s possible they are still there. The earrings are really small. If no one uses those bottled waters, they might sit there until someone does.

Edited by spleenstomper

2 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

No, nothing. I’ll go to Tuesday Morning and try to find an identical pair. Or Etsy. I just don’t want my MIL to know I lost them so soon after she gave them to me. 

I put them in such a stupid place that it’s possible they are still there. The earrings are really small. If no one uses those bottled waters, they might sit there until someone does.

If that's the case, have you considered connecting with someone on an upcoming roll call on your ship, then asking them to call (or maybe even visit) the guests in the cabin you were in?  It would require someone not afraid to reach out to a stranger, but I bet you could find someone willing to do it.  I would certainly not have a problem calling a cabin and saying "Hi, my name is Bob and I'm calling from cabin 4321, my friend Spleen stayed in your cabin a couple weeks ago and left something behind.  Would you mind looking for it?"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

Darn, I'm sorry you didn't get them back.🙁  Good luck finding the replacements!🙂  Ebay could be a possibility, too, if Tuesday Morning no longer has them.

• Like 1