Aft Facing Balcony Cabins on Nieuw Amsterdam

VaCruzers

Hello fellow cruisers,

We primarily sail Princess and Celebrity, but are booked on HAL NA. We love the aft facing balconies on some Princess ships, but not so much on Celebrity due to the lack of cover and privacy. What are the aft facing balconies on HAL like in terms of being covered for protection from sun/rain as well as privacy i.e. balconies above ability to see into the balcony. Are balconies deeper on certain decks? I've searched CC, Google, and a site that offers cruiser's photos, but can't find quite the info I am seeking. Can anyone with experience with these cabins help? Thank you!

4 hours ago, VaCruzers said:

Hello fellow cruisers,

We primarily sail Princess and Celebrity, but are booked on HAL NA. We love the aft facing balconies on some Princess ships, but not so much on Celebrity due to the lack of cover and privacy. What are the aft facing balconies on HAL like in terms of being covered for protection from sun/rain as well as privacy i.e. balconies above ability to see into the balcony. Are balconies deeper on certain decks? I've searched CC, Google, and a site that offers cruiser's photos, but can't find quite the info I am seeking. Can anyone with experience with these cabins help? Thank you!

I think that it may depend on the deck.  Have you asked your TA or PCC?

NA is pretty square at the back, so I think the balconies are similar in depth, unlike the Vista ships (e.g. Zuiderdam), where some decks have deeper balconies than others. Do an online search for photos of NA and look for a profile or aft view, and you'll get a pretty good idea of depth of balconies and the overhang from the deck above. 

On 1/10/2023 at 8:42 AM, VaCruzers said:

Hello fellow cruisers,

Our first cruise was aft cabin on zuiderdam.  Same level as the neptune lounge.  We booked inside state across the hall for my parents and we "shared" the suite. I booked as Neptune, but chose the aft suite for it's amazingly huge balcony.  It was well worth it.  If zuiderdam was newer, I would have done it again.

The only thing was garbage blew off from above onto the deck/veranada.  It usually meant we had to ask crew to clean up quickly for a minute or two each day.  This was 2000 so we had everything from beer/drink containers to cigarette buts on the deck.  Did not even bother us one bit as the stewards were amazing.

Sometimes people saw us from above.  Most of the time we gave them a rock and roll or peace sign and they remained being jealous.  😉

Have been in an aft cabin and aft corner Neptune suite on deck 8 on the NA , both times for an AK cruise.  Would do them again in a hearbeat.  Deck 8 aft is fully covered and perfect for the weather in AK. Heard some chairs being moved around on the  lido deck above us one  morning . Might be more noise on a warmer weather cruise from deck 9, but we didn't experience it on the AK cruises.  Check out halfacts.com for pics too.  

I don't know about the aft cabins. Do you miss seeing the action on the sides of the ship, like tying up at port, loading/unloading of stuff etc? One of the highlights for us is seeing the tenders dropped into the water and then picked up again. And the pilot transfer, amazing. I think I would miss that from the aft cabins...

i sail almost exclusively in aft-facing staterooms on HAL and especially in Alaska.  The ability to see what is happening on both sides of the ship without having to get dressed to move about the ship.  As a hobby photographer, the photo ops are paramount for me as well as enjoying my 2/3d covered Nieuw Amsterdam balcony without the wind that affects those with port or starboard facing staterooms.  Already booked 14-Day Alaska and 15-Day Panama Canal cruises in aft-facing staterooms on Nieuw Amsterdam for 2023.