MSC Policy Flexibility

2joenavarro

As a long time corporate employee at NCL (28 yrs) and Royal Caribbean (7 yrs), I know there were many times when we were flexible (within reason) to provide superior customer service. Unfortunately it doesn't seem MSC allows their call center supervisors this ability. I've cruised with them previously a couple of times and enjoyed the international ambiance onboard. So I attempted to take a short cruise with them and booked a 3 night cruise aboard the MSC Meraviglia a couple of months ago for a Jan 19, 2023 sailing. Unfortunately 2 weeks before the departure I broke my arm and required surgery. Since I purchased insurance I called my travel agent to cancel. I was notified that since I was booked under their "Fantastica" class, I was eligible to move to another sailing within 3 months instead of cancelling. I took that option requesting a MSC Seaview cruise on Apr 19, 2023, but was later told it was not possible without a penalty since I didn't do this at least 1 month prior my original sailing. This was not a cancellation for convenience, I had an accident and had to delay my sailing date. I know my previous employers would see the extenuating circumstance and make an exception. So I cancelled and that stateroom will probably go empty along with the onboard revenue. I understand policies exist, but I guess that's what makes a difference between a good organization and a mediocre one. Oh well, goodbye MSC, I really liked you but you didn't like me.

Edited by 2joenavarro

Royal isn't very flexible any more either.  Their "goodwill' fund has dried up.  All cruise lines were hit very hard by the pandemic shut down as we all know.  Things are very different now.

Since you have travel insurance is your arm a covered event?

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal isn't very flexible any more either.  Their "goodwill' fund has dried up.  All cruise lines were hit very hard by the pandemic shut down as we all know.  Things are very different now.

Since you have travel insurance is your arm a covered event?

It should cover, but I just started the process and also need a form filled out by my doctor.  So let's see...

I was able to rebook to a future cruise after my dad has a stroke the week before. I was on hold a very long time but the agent got the penalty fee removed for both cabins (I didn’t ask she was proactive)  She did have to escalate though. 

I was very thankful and my dad and I will be cruising in May

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PimmCruise said:

I was able to rebook to a future cruise after my dad has a stroke the week before. I was on hold a very long time but the agent got the penalty fee removed for both cabins (I didn’t ask she was proactive)  She did have to escalate though. 

I was very thankful and my dad and I will be cruising in May

Glad it worked out for you. I'll try one more time. Also see your Dad is healthy to cruise and has recovered. Great news.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 2joenavarro said:

As a long time corporate employee at NCL (28 yrs) and Royal Caribbean (7 yrs), I know there were many times when we were flexible (within reason) to provide superior customer service.... This was not a cancellation for convenience, I had an accident and had to delay my sailing date. I know my previous employers would see the extenuating circumstance and make an exception. So I cancelled and that stateroom will probably go empty along with the onboard revenue. I understand policies exist, but I guess that's what makes a difference between a good organization and a mediocre one. Oh well, goodbye MSC, I really liked you but you didn't like me.

Key words in this post "my previous employers."

You are not dealing with your previous employers....

This is like the passenger at Guest Services on board an MSC cruise that starts their complaint and expectations "On Carnival...."