Cabin Upgrade

davidgv

Has anyone done a cabin upgrade after embarcation or the following day - there seem to be many empty cabins on our cruise which leaves in less than 30 days - just wondering about the chances and likely costs of upgrading from balcony to mini suite on a 15 day cruise?

54 minutes ago, davidgv said:

Has anyone done a cabin upgrade after embarcation or the following day - there seem to be many empty cabins on our cruise which leaves in less than 30 days - just wondering about the chances and likely costs of upgrading from balcony to mini suite on a 15 day cruise?

There is now a bidding program now where you can try to get an upgrade. I suspect they do those first but if some are left over, they might be available on embarkation. You could do a minimum bid and see what happens.

Bidding process works well. I did that a few weeks before my last cruise. Nice to have the cabin upgrade you want before you board.

In October 2021 on the Majestic lots of empty cabins.They were giving away the upgrades for free.

I was pretty upset because a few days before that cruise I called Princess and paid to upgrade to a mini suite and now people were getting it free. My husband mentioned it to Passenger services and after they checked with the main office gave us an onboard refundable credit equal to what we paid for the one week upgrade. We actually were on for two weeks but only complained on the second week.I was surprised that my husband even said anything about it but he was checking on something else and casually mentioned it to the person helping him.

Now with the bidding process, doubt if anyone is getting free upgrades once on board.

• Like 1

There were hundreds of empty cabins on the Sky Princess Dec. 17-27 sailing. There were many people moving to upgraded cabins onboard. I have no idea if and/or how much they were charging. The cabin stewards said that this way a very frequent occurrence on that ship and it was a lot of extra work for some of them (they were given very little notice that a cabin needed to be prepared for new guests and this sometimes happened right after other guests were moved out of that same room). It seems like it may be ship dependent (a decision made by onboard officers/management) as to whether they offer these upsells/upgrades onboard.

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Upgrading once on board *used* to be a thing...I honestly don't know if that is still possible.  I can't see why not...but I don't know.

Interesting to see what Princess will do with their European/UK cruises this summer, as us Brits are not allowed to participate in the bidding process. 

Perhaps Princess will raise the bidding levels, knowing that Brits might pay more to upgrade when they are onboard.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Interesting to see what Princess will do with their European/UK cruises this summer, as us Brits are not allowed to participate in the bidding process. 

Perhaps Princess will raise the bidding levels, knowing that Brits might pay more to upgrade when they are onboard.

Just send everyone to the Princess Theater and have a room auction. At least it would be entertaining.

• Haha 2