Birth certificate okay for cruises out of Galveston?

swdke

@swdke

I think you will find more information tailored to your question if you include the ports that the Ruby will be visiting.  

A "closed loop" (not Ruby) could include ex:  Panama Canal which would require a passport.  Do your research with valid sites like the Federal Government/countries you are visiting rather than rely on (experienced) passengers.  Then there will be no surprises.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobbins said:

While I agree a passport is best, if you don't have time to get one before you cruise, make sure you have a certified copy of your birth certificate if it will be accepted.  .  Those have a raised seal- not a copy of it.   And double,  triple check your cruise ID requirements from the Princess website.   

You hope and pray it will be accepted.  You can get am expedited passport in a very short time.  Do you really want to take a chance you are wrong on a $1000.00 trip for less than $200.00?  I won't.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Potstech said:

You hope and pray it will be accepted.  You can get am expedited passport in a very short time.  Do you really want to take a chance you are wrong on a $1000.00 trip for less than $200.00?  I won't.

Again, I agree that a passport is best.  However, if the OP can't get a passport expedited, then finding out the requirements for their specific cruise from Princess directly re: birth certificates is what they need to do.  I was just trying to answer the OP's question and not argue the merits of a passport.  

31 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Here is what happened to one elderly couple who were told no passport needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCbC1fH_Udo

That couple had a passport that was not valid because it expired before the end of their cruise. It has nothing to do with using a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise.

Neighbors of ours were told all they needed was a passport card and their birth certificates to go to Panama half cruise.  They are elderly and it was their first cruise. They left for the cruise on a flight at 5:30 am and returned from FLL on the 9 pm flight.  The only sure thing is a passport book.

Edited by Potstech
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That couple had a passport that was not valid because it expired before the end of their cruise. It has nothing to do with using a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise.

Perhaps you did not watch carefully...the couple was told (erroneously) by a Princess rep that they did NOT need a passport and that BC was OK.  So...they went with only a BC and were of course, denied boarding.

I generally do not watch the videos from the channel that I posted...I could not quickly find the one I wanted from Don Terris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD_NNhcuXNE&t=6s

Perhaps this one is a bit more clear as to what happened.  It's ALL about trying to use a birth certificate.  (The first one was, too.)

4 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Perhaps you did not watch carefully...the couple was told (erroneously) by a Princess rep that they did NOT need a passport and that BC was OK.  So...they went with only a BC and were of course, denied boarding.

I generally do not watch the videos from the channel that I posted...I could not quickly find the one I wanted from Don Terris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD_NNhcuXNE&t=6s

Perhaps this one is a bit more clear as to what happened.  It's ALL about trying to use a birth certificate.  (The first one was, too.)

They claim they were told that. You are ignoring that on closed loop cruises out of US ports cruises passports are usually not required. Probably 50% of passengers on those type sailings use birth certificates. Millions have done it. You can cherry pick a few situations where there was a misunderstanding. The itinerary was not closed loop. What documents are required is confusing and the safest course is to get a passport and I recomended that OP get a passport but that does not mean a passport is required. Not sure why OP was asking the question as OP will certainly need a passport for that Alaska cruise they booked for September 2023. Maybe they want to book a last minute in between and won't have time to renew a passport.

Thanks for all the information.  Actually, I myself fortunately do have a passport, and I was curious as I have a traveling friend in our group who has apparently let her passport expire.  I'm kind of the organizer for our group and was wondering what options she had should her passport not arrive in time.  I had remembered that a birth certificate might do in a pinch.  We're just booking the cruise and cabins now, and cruise is not till May.  I've stressed to her that she must immediately work on getting her new passport.  Thanks so much for all your information.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, swdke said:

Thanks for all the information.  Actually, I myself fortunately do have a passport, and I was curious as I have a traveling friend in our group who has apparently let her passport expire.  I'm kind of the organizer for our group and was wondering what options she had should her passport not arrive in time.  I had remembered that a birth certificate might do in a pinch.  We're just booking the cruise and cabins now, and cruise is not till May.  I've stressed to her that she must immediately work on getting her new passport.  Thanks so much for all your information.

There are area offices in the states where you can get a passport the same day. (Expedited)