Review of MSC Bellissima Marseille to Marseille January 1 to January 8 2023

bwlewer

Just back from my latest trip with MSC, and it summary: Amazing, but different!

I'm still relatively new to cruising, most of my family vacations have been Disney centric, but over the last 6 years we've taken 6 MSC cruises including Caribbean, Mediterranean, South American and even Middle East.  We did cruise on one Holland America this year that had an itinerary that interested us, but we were eager to get back on to an MSC ship.

Also note that this was after SEVERAL rebookings, all covid timing related (or testing positive just before).  This was originally a March 2022 on Grandiosa, then was Virtuosa, and finally Bellissima.  The rebookings created some OBC that worked out well.  This was also the second time on Bellissima, the last out out of Dubai.  

And final note, we have always sailed in Yacht Club, including this time, and therefore all of my commentary is based on living in the "ship within a ship".  It's quite possible that others may have had different experiences.  

Some overall thoughts and observations:

- Within the YC, service was excellent, especially in Top Sail, Deck 19, and the YC Restaurant.  Concierge consistently resolved any problems quickly and to my satisfaction.  The room attendant did a fantastic job and seemed to always be their when we needed him.  The butler however was RARELY around.  In fact, I didn't personally meet him.  Several; other butlers walked us on/off the ship or to other venue, and never our own.  Oh well.  What was different from past sailings was now there are Top Sail only servers who are not official butlers.  Each one of them were amazing.  They knew us individually and what we liked to order.  

- The ship was still looking great.  Many many crew were visibly shining chrome, and washing, and keeping things in order.  All the activities were open and in working order from what I can tell.  As usual, I tried everything from F1 to the ropes course (its really high for my liking).  It was REALLY cold, so not that much in terms of water slides.  

- We ate mostly in YC, was pretty consistent food the entire time.  There was some overlap in the first and last day in menu options that was REALLY noticeable.  Our preference is breakfast at the pool, lunch in the port, and dinner in the YC restaurant.  All well done.   

- The internet was slow, constantly up/down, and overall poor.  At least it was free an unlimited, so there is that.

- We had excursions most days except Palma.  They were MUCH shorter than usual, but I found the prices cheaper than usual.  We were easily back to port for lunch every day.  We did a couple "on your own" which essentially was just the bus ride.  That works well for places like Pisa and Pompeii.  

- Nightly treats were good, from little lemon merengue pies to biscotti.  They still are pushing the dark chocolate on pillows that only one of four of us liked.  

- The drinks in the mini bar were constantly refreshed so that made a few less trips to Top Sail when we looking for a beverage.  

- I bought a 40 piece laundry package.  All came back within a day, all cleaned and folded or put on hangers.  Cheap easy solution to packing for half the days of a trip IMO  

- In the embarkation lounge, they now ask you for the printed paper preference and which bottle of alcohol you'd like in your room.  and its a LOT of options which was great.  We also had a bottle of wine and Prosecco (Diamond member)  

- Entertainment is in the eye of the beholder.  I personally loved the MSC stage shows.  35 min singing/dancing to a different theme every night.  Its not name brand grand shows like other likes, but easily consumable.   We did go to the new "Carousel Productions" replacing the Cirque shows.  Still VERY high quality entertainment worth the extra $, but it was MAYBE 1/3 full.  It doesn't seem likely that these shows will have much a a lifespan.  The Opera, Carmen was truly the best content on stage.  

- Disembarkation was quick and easy, since its one of the smaller ports.  We were off in about 5 min and in a taxi.  

Lots more to say and happy to answer any questions.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NMsunset said:

Hi Blw-

Appreciate your review.

Can you share more about your self-guided port activities/suggestions...esp. around transportation/food.

Thanks in advance...we board 27JAN in Palma in YC as well.

Cheers!

Hi there.  

In Pompeii, we booked the "on your own in Pompeii".  Bus tour to the site, and a pickup time.  We then used https://www.getyourguide.com/ to book skip the line entry tickets that you pickup across the road from the site.  Come with an audio guide and map!

In Palma, we just too the shuttle to the city centre for $13, and walk around the old city.  Easy.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We will be doing the Marseille to Marseille cruise on the Bellisima end of the month. Concerned about our return flight time. Was disembark on time and would we be able to request first off the ship?  It shows a 9:00 arrival and hoping to schedule an 11:10  or a 12:40 flight.  Is this doable or is it pushing things?  How early should we be checking in for flight to canada?

Thanks in advance