LIVE From the “80s Theme” Regal - 1/11/23 - 4 Day Princess Cays

CanadianBurger

15 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

The 80s movie trivia was ridiculously difficult and obscure. That said, there were still two teams that got 16. 

We had 70's trivia on our last cruise but were pretty disappointed in the selections. There was a ton of disco. In the 70's I didn't know a single person who didn't despise disco. There were very few selections for the trivia that were anything that I, my wife, or my friends would have listened to. This is what happens when a DJ runs the trivia. All they care about is "dance music".

On our last cruise before the shutdown there was an Assistant CD who did a "Country Music Trivia" session. About half of his selections were definitely not Country Music! Even the Brits (who don't really have much in the way of Country Music) emphatically told him that "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison wasn't Country Music. The Assistant CD - "Scottish Ken" - got really snotty with the passengers and insisted that all of his selections were definitely Country Music. (He is the only Princess crew member I've ever met who was consistently antagonistic and rude with the passengers. Hopefully the pandemic got rid of him.)

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 7:45 AM, CanadianBurger said:

Today’s Horizon Court breakfast. If you like crispy bacon, just ask. They keep it in the oven.

Normally the "American Bacon" on Princess is undercooked, limp, and slimy. On our last cruise (May) it was all overcooked and so "crisp" that it broke into little pieces when trying to get it with the tongs. From one extreme to another. Weird.

The rain stopped, skies cleared, and it turned into a glorious afternoon. Went over to Princess Cays to go for a walk. I’m not a beach person, so not much to do for me. I also ventured across the bridge to the south side, and I was the ONLY one there. 

FF380976-5C11-4B99-A0F5-823B0D8136B1.thumb.jpeg.1951e74b39b29fd3cb1268be7a40599a.jpeg

12B99951-7B58-4CDB-9CE7-B9F422270E12.thumb.jpeg.defbe9a2e2760cdafa92c7ca181311bd.jpeg

82900497-2EFC-4964-81E6-0E80C21BF712.thumb.jpeg.2e5bdf1c93cdb51a650199dfd571bf4f.jpeg

AEF89DD6-C576-49A5-A893-28866418B8EC.thumb.jpeg.9da7d780ff1ff3262757d2ae451799be.jpeg

• Like 2

Having no idea what to expect, I took in one of the “Knights of Rock” enrichment sessions in the theatre. Turns out it was a talk given by the tour manager of The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Tour. The first-hand anecdotes and behind the scenes moments he shared via voice, photos, and video shot with his iPhone was heartfelt, uplifting, and truly amazing. It was an hour well spent. 

5EBB428C-00BF-4179-BC0F-D529E4CD22BD.thumb.jpeg.f65dca40d5e72c419c4d8f62f1187946.jpeg

• Like 4

Tonight was the headliner. Double Vision: The Foreigner Experience. 

IT. WAS. PHENOMENAL. 

I have never seen the Princess Theater rocking like that. Everyone on their feet singing and dancing. I came away hoarse and with sore palms. Easily one of, if not the best shows I have seen. Everyone was raving afterwards. Definitely the highlight of the cruise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

Tonight was the headliner. Double Vision: The Foreigner Experience. 

IT. WAS. PHENOMENAL. 

I have never seen the Princess Theater rocking like that. Everyone on their feet singing and dancing. I came away hoarse and with sore palms. Easily one of, if not the best shows I have seen. Everyone was raving afterwards. Definitely the highlight of the cruise. 

Thanks for continuing to share.  I'm glad Double Vision put on a good show.  Princess should really do more of these 80s themed cruises.  Let's lobby them and maybe they'll do it.

Slippery When Wet, the Bon Jovi tribute act on our Regal cruise back in November '21, tried to get the crowd involved too, but it didn't seem to take as well.  I was up in the cheap seats, the theater was maybe 40% full, and all the guests were in masks.  If my calculations are correct, you're going to get a different tribute to the Jersey Boys tonight - WANTED.  I hope they put on another good show for you.

And back to Double Vision... on a different 80s cruise (a charter that's NOT on Princess) we're going to have Lou Gramm.  That should be quite the show.  There's a chance he could perform all three songs you highlighted in your videos ("Feels Like the First Time", "I Want to Know What Love Is", and "Juke Box Hero").

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Slippery When Wet, the Bon Jovi tribute act on our Regal cruise back in November '21, tried to get the crowd involved too, but it didn't seem to take as well.  I was up in the cheap seats, the theater was maybe 40% full, and all the guests were in masks. 

We only had 920 (or so I was told) passengers on that cruise.  Most were still trying out their "sea legs" for the first time since the pandemic break.

It was still a great cruise!!  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tyskie said:

We only had 920 (or so I was told) passengers on that cruise.  Most were still trying out their "sea legs" for the first time since the pandemic break.

It was still a great cruise!!  

This too. I had had a cruise prior to this one (not on Princess), but a large portion had not.

I'll agree that it was a great cruise. The main thing that would have made it better was to make it longer.  👍

• Like 1

Not a great day today for outdoor activities. 63°F, gale force winds and a 13 foot swell. Deck 17 is roped off, and the covers are on the loungers at the Sanctuary. No problem cancelling my afternoon reservation. I also had to throw all the unused hangers on the floor in the middle of the night.

Went to another Knights of Rock Enrichment talk today. Leo Rossi is an engaging speaker with fascinating stories from being the tour manager for some of the biggest acts. He mostly does west-coast cruises, so if he’s on your voyage, make it a point to attend one of his talks. 

CFB77E33-9F2D-4DEF-B8B3-1E7CA99E1E4F.thumb.jpeg.690d8f7cf02bf6aa1e42ba6783306b69.jpeg

76A35E0B-AAE9-4E70-AEB4-B88AF93A8260.thumb.jpeg.7745e4813e97160f0a1530a8d0f9c9aa.jpeg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

Went to another Knights of Rock Enrichment talk today. Leo Rossi is an engaging speaker with fascinating stories from being the tour manager for some of the biggest acts. He mostly does west-coast cruises, so if he’s on your voyage, make it a point to attend one of his talks. 

I'll definitely look out for him. I'm a little surprised he was on this one as he only advertised to be on the first 80s cruise back in October. My 80s cruise adventure will be out of Galveston, so we'll see if Mr. Rossi is onboard. I hope so. 🙏

• Like 1