TOO MUCH ALCOHOL TAKEN ABOARD. DOES IT GET CONFISCATED OR ARE YOU FORCED TO DISEMBARK

Tablelamp

12 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

To Megabear2.  I meant at Embarkation and in your hold luggage.  A long cruise.

I understand.  How much is "too much", you are allowed I believe a litre of spirits per person.  Many on here say they take more.

Your alcohol might get confiscated if it's way over the top but they won't throw you off the ship.

Hopefully Wowzz will be along soon to give full details- he's the expert on volumes!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

I wonder what the position is, do they force you to disembark?

Each guest aged 18 years (21 years in United States of America ports) and older may bring up to 1 litre of wine, Champagne, beer, spirit, or liqueur on board as they embark the ship for the first time only. Alcohol over the 1 litre limit will be stored and returned to the guest prior to the end of the cruise. If this alcohol is consumed in the dining rooms, bars, restaurants or lounge areas, it will be subject to a corkage fee of £20* per bottle, per occasion which will be charged to the guest’s on-board account. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Embarking in Southampton,  they probably scan the luggage for hazardous items which a 3ltr. Box of wine is not.

We take our allowed booze on board in our carry on bag along with some diet coke. At each port there is an honesty table to declare anything brought aboard. There normally isn't much of a queue.

Worth pointing out that whilst alcohol purchased on board is retained until the end of the cruise, the practice of taking away alcohol purchased at ports of call before re-embarkation seems to have been stopped. 

Officially, it is, and if it is removed, it is then be returned before leaving in the same way.  In practice this doesn't happen a lot, not at all on our last three cruises.

Note, where the terminal scans your carry on bags/souvenirs etc, the P&O security does not usually need/wish to repeat the process.  Terminals are very unlikely to wish to dissuade you from buying in their local store of course!

Therefore, if you happen to run out of gin in your cabin mid cruise, well??  Perhaps just a bottle a bag to begin with???

It is more likely that you will be asked to check against the 4l allowance for spirits at disembarkation.

5 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

Embarking in Southampton,  they probably scan the luggage for hazardous items which a 3ltr. Box of wine is not.

My name was mentioned earlier, and Table has answered the question for me.

Security staff at Southampton are not P&O employees,  and are not looking for alcohol. Moreover, there is no communication between those checking hand luggage and those checking suitcases.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, zap99 said:

We take our allowed booze on board in our carry on bag along with some diet coke. At each port there is an honesty table to declare anything brought aboard. There normally isn't much of a queue.

We used to take our allowed booze in our hand luggage as well . We also used to take our 

allowed booze in our suitcase as well .

Once getting back onboard we declared two bottles of coke which they checked very carefully 

even though I showed them the receipt.

As you say not much of a queue at the table but no need as 99.9% are so honest .

• Like 1

No honesty table on our recent Iona cruise.  At Gibraltar, scanning was on the ship, not the cruise terminal.  Nothing was said about the bottles of grog we'd bought ashore.

BTW, the deal on Gordon's gin on board was cheaper than buying in the terminal's duty free.  Kraken, however was cheaper on Main St than at the terminal.