Guarantee pricing with All Included. Crazy prices.

RickT

Looking at a winter getaway in February or March and noticed some attractive prices on Guarantees.  Imagine my surprise when I saw that a Guarantee price that was hundreds less than choosing a cabin became more expensive if I added the All Included option. 
Here are two examples:

Feb 19, 2023 sailing on Celebrity Reflection 7 day

Verandah Guarantee price $799.  Adding All Included increases price to $1,660.

Verandah 2D price $1,048.  Adding All Included increases price to $1,611 or roughly $50 less than a guarantee booking.  

Mar 13, 2023 sailing on Celebrity Silhouette 10 day

Verandah Guarantee price $949.  Adding All Included increases price to $2,475.

Verandah 2D price $1,442.  Adding All included increases price to $2,317 or roughly $150 less than a guarantee booking.

I realize that a guarantee booking could result in a better cabin than a 2D but paying more for a guarantee seems crazy.  Will call X later to see if this is a web issue or simply a way to offer cheap prices on cruise only fares without giving a cheap price if you add All Included. 

5 minutes ago, RickT said:

Looking at a winter getaway in February or March and noticed some attractive prices on Guarantees.  Imagine my surprise when I saw that a Guarantee price that was hundreds less than choosing a cabin became more expensive if I added the All Included option. 
Here are two examples:

Verandah 2D price $1,048.  Adding All Included increases price to $1,611 or roughly $50 less than a guarantee booking.  

Verandah 2D price $1,442.  Adding All included increases price to $2,317 or roughly $150 less than a guarantee booking.

I realize that a guarantee booking could result in a better cabin than a 2D but paying more for a guarantee seems crazy.  Will call X later to see if this is a web issue or simply a way to offer cheap prices on cruise only fares without giving a cheap price if you add All Included. 

All sorts of strange pricing on the website.   If you can figure out the marketing strategy for Celebrity let everyone else know.

4 minutes ago, RickT said:

Here are two examples:

I would guess that your last statement is the reason.  I would never book a guarantee for an expectations of a “better cabin”.  I would rather take the risk with a Move Up offer.  As you are also implying I would not cruise without at least the AI.

Gty cruise only fares are a good way to sell cabins at a discount without the risk of needing to do price adjustments on the cabins booked earlier.  Smart strategy IMO.  

Called Celebrity and the rep indicated that the Guarantee rate was most likely priced under the “Xciting Deals” promo and as such the All Included cost was likely full price rather than the discounted price that gets used when added to a base (non guarantee) price.  
He didn’t argue that it made sense but he had seen it before.