Which Puerto Vallarta tour?

mkcurran

I'm torn. I want to try something different this time. Usually we spend the day on the Malecon and have lots of fun. But I'm looking for something different this time.

Option 1:

image.thumb.png.b54a6480857c4bd13f224eba3434293a.png

The reviews are mixed and none actually cover the hot springs. We'd want lunch and time to enjoy the pool and hot springs. Would consider a way to get to this place with out the shopping and other stops.

Option #2:

image.thumb.png.2a2a31aa7a27e556899cb979edad7bcc.png

Which one would you pick? 

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 12:11 PM, mkcurran said:

I'm torn. I want to try something different this time. Usually we spend the day on the Malecon and have lots of fun. But I'm looking for something different this time.

Option 1:

image.thumb.png.b54a6480857c4bd13f224eba3434293a.png

The reviews are mixed and none actually cover the hot springs. We'd want lunch and time to enjoy the pool and hot springs. Would consider a way to get to this place with out the shopping and other stops.

Option #2:

image.thumb.png.2a2a31aa7a27e556899cb979edad7bcc.png

Which one would you pick? 

Have you gone on your cruise?  If so which tour did you end up taking?

I don't know if the last tour I took in PV is being offered by your ship or not, but here is my very positive review.  

I took the excursion offered by Princess called “Tequila Tasting, Mayahuel Experience” in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. 

There were about 45 of us, and the bus was pretty full.  There were two guides plus the driver.  They gave out a free tequila to everyone.  They tried to sell an unlimited tequila pass for the tour.  

The bus dropped us off  downtown, in El Centro by the Lighthouse.  We walked a very short distance to the Seahorse.  A group of Indian dancers walking along the Malecon performed for tips.  Our group then walked up towards the Cathedral, stopping at Marino y Marino Jewelry Store, where free margaritas were offered.  I do not know if Marina y Marina pays off the tour company for bringing us in – I assume so based on prior experience.    I do not know if they made any sales to any of our group.

Then, we walked up to the Cathedral.  We had plenty of time as tourists.  Then, we boarded the bus and were taken a short distance to the Mango Beach Club for lunch.  Lunch was included in our excursion price, but not drinks.  The guides had warned us of the cost of margaritas at Mango Beach Club, and no one at our table ordered anything but soda ($3US each).  Lunch was a salad, tacos (beef, chicken or pork), a quesadella.  Lunch was a buffet-line, not table-service.  The food was good.  The restaurant and the restrooms were clean.  The servers were friendly.  

Next, we walked about a block or two up the street to the Vallarta Theater/Tequila Sales Room.  They gave out free samples, about a thimbleful of various flavored tequilas.  I tried a chocolate tequila, but I didn’t care for it.  My wife had a different flavored tequila, which she enjoyed.  Fortunately, they wanted about $100US for a bottle, and she declined.  Finally, they opened the theater and we went in. [The tequila Sales Room is the lobby of the theater.]

Mayahuela was an amazing show, sort of Cirque De Solie in style.  Dancing, special effects [fire dancing], drama, acrobatics [both seesaw and trampoline, a la CDS, plus some aerial].   

After the show, they played several movies of tequila making, and explained the differences among four types of tequila.  They then brought to each of us a “flight” of four tequilas, a bottle of water and a cracker to cleanse the palate between the four samples. 

There was then time for more sales of bottles of tequila, and then the bus ride back to the pier.   Some of the people stayed in El Centro for some personal time; they made their way back to the ship on their own.  

I did not really notice the number of tequila shots that were offered to the guests, and I have no idea of the quality of the tequilas offered. 

Overall, the tour was very good, and our guides were excellent.  The price ($100 per person) was reasonable.  I noticed a few weeks later that the price had been reduced, but I was pleased with the tour at $100 pp.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2023 at 9:14 AM, mkcurran said:

I have not. But I have reservations for https://www.lapalapapv.com/beach-club 

They charge 500 pesos per person which you get back in a food & beverage credit.

Hi, how far from the port is it?  Also where do you see on the site the price, do you reserve through opentable?  (I also emailed the beach club)

45 minutes ago, westycruiser said:

Hi, how far from the port is it?  Also where do you see on the site the price, do you reserve through opentable?  (I also emailed the beach club)

It's at Playa Los Muertos, which I think is a 5-15 minute cab ride. I emailed them and ended up booking that way. In the email they told me the price.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I don't know if the last tour I took in PV is being offered by your ship or not, but here is my very positive review.  

Overall, the tour was very good, and our guides were excellent.  The price ($100 per person) was reasonable.  I noticed a few weeks later that the price had been reduced, but I was pleased with the tour at $100 pp.

Thank you for the information...much appreciated!!

Mary

On 3/24/2023 at 10:14 AM, mkcurran said:

I have not. But I have reservations for https://www.lapalapapv.com/beach-club 

They charge 500 pesos per person which you get back in a food & beverage credit.

I did look back at the beach club and saw the wording in English...it was right at the top.  So you emailed them and made a reservation?  So the $27 that you paid they give you back when you get there for food and beverage.  That would make it free and a great deal.  It looks very nice. 

4 hours ago, CUontheC said:

I looked up the beach club from the site you put.  However, it was in Spanish.  Did you book directly from this site?  

I emailed them, from the site.

4 hours ago, CUontheC said:

I did look back at the beach club and saw the wording in English...it was right at the top.  So you emailed them and made a reservation?  So the $27 that you paid they give you back when you get there for food and beverage.  That would make it free and a great deal.  It looks very nice. 

Yes, thought that was a deal.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 9:03 AM, mkcurran said:

It's at Playa Los Muertos, which I think is a 5-15 minute cab ride. I emailed them and ended up booking that way. In the email they told me the price.

With nowadays traffic the cab ride cannot be only 5-15 minutes, more 20 minutes and more! La Palapa is a well known restaurant with loungers with umbrellas at the ocean, not a real beachclub. The same for its excellent neighbor El Dorado. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I went and it was wonderful. About 15 minutes each way by cab. Very relaxing. Two loungers, a table, and great service. The club sandwich was amazing. The tacos were top notch. The Pina coladas dreamy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have been to LaPalapa many times when we vacation in PV.  It is one of the very nice restaurants in that section of the beach.  Food is not "cheap".  Breakfast for 2 people can run about $50 (900 pesos).  When we get to PV on our ship in December, we plan to walk out of the marina gate, get one of the yellow taxis waiting outside, and go to La Palapa for breakfast for a couple of hours.  Then we slowly stroll back along the beach and walkway until we get to  the main square where we will stop somewhere for a drink, or 2, and then taxi back to the ship.  The price you are offered from their website is about what you would spend on a meal and some drinks.  

• Like 1