Exploring city proper of Anchorage for one full day.

olya1972

Hello. I am looking for ideas on how to structure one full day exploring city of Anchorage without leaving on a day/half day trips (we have done that previously). We will most likely have two nights with one day in between in Anchorage prior to leaving on 6:45 am train to Seward to board Southbound ship. We will have no car. Hotel is not booked yet, but will reserve something Downtown. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank You.

• Like 1

There is enough to do to fill the day. There are many gift shops, the trolley city tour, salmon fishing at Ships creek { watch or participate}, or enjoy lunch and or dinner at a restaurant, take free trolley to ULU factory, etc. There is a visitors center downtown full of ideas. 

• Like 1

After our cruise, we spent a full week in Alaska ending up in Anchorage where we would fly out that final night.  Having turned in our rental car, I can enthusiastically recommend seeing the Anchorage Museum on the corner of 7th street and A in downtown.  It features several floors of Native Alaskan artifacts and clothing, recreated dwelling and whaling boats which were fascinating.  In addition, one section features the 1964 earthquake, complete with old films and photos which totally engrossed my husband.  We also walked to the flower-bedecked Alaskan Statehood Monument, supposedly a perfect spot to see Mt Denali if the weather is clear. (It was too cloudy when we were there, but fortunately we had just spent two days in Denali without a cloud in the sky, so no big loss).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

After our cruise, we spent a full week in Alaska ending up in Anchorage where we would fly out that final night.  Having turned in our rental car, I can enthusiastically recommend seeing the Anchorage Museum on the corner of 7th street and A in downtown.  It features several floors of Native Alaskan artifacts and clothing, recreated dwelling and whaling boats which were fascinating.  In addition, one section features the 1964 earthquake, complete with old films and photos which totally engrossed my husband.  We also walked to the flower-bedecked Alaskan Statehood Monument, supposedly a perfect spot to see Mt Denali if the weather is clear. (It was too cloudy when we were there, but fortunately we had just spent two days in Denali without a cloud in the sky, so no big loss).

This is perfect, exactly the information I was looking for. Thank You.

Hopefully they will be offering the shuttle to both the museum and the Heritage Center this year. I do see the shuttle is still noted on the Heritage Center website. Possibly old news.

“We are located at 8800 Heritage Center Dr. in Anchorage, around a 7 minute drive from the Tikahtnu Commons.  We offer a convenient shuttle service from Downtown Anchorage.”

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Hopefully they will be offering the shuttle to both the museum and the Heritage Center this year. I do see the shuttle is still noted on the Heritage Center website. Possibly old news. ......

Alaska is experiencing a severe labor shortage in general, and an incredibly severe shortage of folks who have Commercial Drivers Licenses.  The issues with school bus service across the state are amazing and I am just thrilled that we don't have kiddos who are too young to drive themselves.  And Fairbanks has a better handle on the school bus problem than several other large districts.

That being said, there is a large hotel in Fairbanks which for a number of years (over a decade if not two decades) offered a fixed route shuttle service which served their several properties and a number of tourist attractions.  Well -- the summer of 2022 no shuttle service because of the shortage of folks with CDLs.  Before assuming the shuttle to the Alaska Native Heritage Center is operating folks will need to contact them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

What month will you be there? I attended the Alaska State Fair one year on Labor Day weekend in Anchorage. It was a lot of fun. 

We will be there a week before Memorial Day. I think we’ll do a Troley Tour, visit an Anchorage Museum and will spend the rest of the day just browsing the Downtown. 

Check out the art work at the Alaska Native Medical Center - https://firstamericanartmagazine.com/alaska-native-medical-center.  The art work that is exhibited is wonderful.  There is also a shop in the hospital that has sell art work by the native peoples that is very good and fairly priced and all the profits either go back to the artist with the hospital getting a cut.  We have bought lots of stuff there.  Just be aware that the craft shop has limited open hours and credit cards are not accepted although they do accept checks.

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1