NCL Reducing Entertainment Staff Across the Fleet

JT1962

20 hours ago, LloydJr said:

What?!?

Yeah, but we spent our days riding our bikes all over town or playing sports in the back yard instead of in front of a TV.  We were blissfully free of the dark side of social media.  We also only locked our doors when we went on vacation for a week or so.

You got that right!! We LIVED life instead of worrying about sharing every waking moment with every one of our 2000+ "friends".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wally4ever said:

I love Howl at the Moon.  I've seen a lot of great entertainment, but I think that's probably my favorite.

I've been to howl at the moon on all the cruises I've done and it's usually great but a couple of cruises it was a complete wash out either because the guest musicians were too far up their own butts showing off rather than paying attention to the audience or because the passengers weren't into it so there was only a handful of people at the show. The latter happened on a cruise shortly after the resumption and the ship was less than 50% full and was mostly european guests who wouldn't be familiar with the concept.

21 hours ago, LloydJr said:

What?!?

Yeah, but we spent our days riding our bikes all over town or playing sports in the back yard instead of in front of a TV.  We were blissfully free of the dark side of social media.  We also only locked our doors when we went on vacation for a week or so.

I absolutely abhor music from the 70's and 80's. I'll listen to pre 70's music, but anything from that time period is just pure garbage to my listening ears. I know plenty of people, like my mom, enjoy music from that era, but I'll take my grandparents music from the 50's and 60's. 

Hmm, it's weird. I, too rode my bike all over the place. Went walking in the woods with my dogs. Swimming at the lake. And then, I went online to my Civil War Chatroom and AIM. Cruise Critic has replaced those chatrooms. Expensive cruises have replaced my expensive teenage hobby of Civil War reenacting. 

I was a school administrator for a few years. I resigned at the end of last year. The kids are ok. They still ride bikes, go to each other's homes for sleepovers, and do other things that don't consist of social media. Y'all really gotta stop watching that one news channel - also, stereotyping about generations is kind of passé. 

1 hour ago, sunkey1 said:

RD4, agree with you again! For years we would take one cruise a year with our young kids and then take one for just the two of us and would leave the kids with the grandparents - good for them, good for us. They had an emergency number to reach us and if we hit a US port we would check in. SOMEHOW WE MANAGED. 😉  I can't get over going on cruises now and seeing people with their heads buried in their phones while the most magnificent scenery or even just a beautiful ocean is sitting right there. So many people are so obsessed with recording every moment of their lives that they aren't really experiencing them anymore.

Why are folks like you and @RD64 so obsessed with how others spend their time on a cruise? How does it impact you? Like, seriously...we're doing ok and we'll be fine spending our precious vacation time how we want. By the way, I can check social (or more likely the NY Times) and watch the ocean at the same time. 

As for those who are taking photos/video...I bet they're doing it to share with their families and friends back home to say, hey! look at how amazing my vacation was. I hope you can go with me next time. 

If only we could join forces and police the rude people that treat crew like garbage...but I suppose we'll continue these ageist fights for eternity eh? 

Oh, by the way do you go to shows? Do you watch comedians? How about singers? Trivia? Well, you're sure not enjoying the beautiful ocean if you're in the Atrium looking at the cruise director's staff or in the dark theater watching a show. So...umm...yea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Y'all really gotta stop watching that one news channel - also, stereotyping about generations is kind of passé. 

Who's stereotyping now? 

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Why are folks like you and @RD64 so obsessed with how others spend their time on a cruise? How does it impact you? Like, seriously...we're doing ok and we'll be fine spending our precious vacation time how we want. By the way, I can check social (or more likely the NY Times) and watch the ocean at the same time. 

Oh, by the way do you go to shows? Do you watch comedians? How about singers? Trivia? Well, you're sure not enjoying the beautiful ocean if you're in the Atrium looking at the cruise director's staff or in the dark theater watching a show. So...umm...yea.

Why are folks like you always thinking that someone expressing an opinion is "obsessing"?

AND oh, by the way, I do go to shows (at night) AND observe the scenery, AND participate in activities - I just don't feel the need to share it with the entire world while I'm doing it. 

Snarky much?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2023 at 4:10 PM, JT1962 said:

Kinky Boots ending on Encore. It appears more cutbacks will be coming fleet wide.

https://crew-center.com/ncl-lays-staff-members-entertainment-department-will-be-reduced-across-fleet

Not surprised. I kinda figured the bean counters would get a firm grip on the cruise lines once things began to open back up after Covid. We've cruised 3 times since fall 2021 on Princess and RCI. The cutbacks were very noticeable on RCI not so much on Princess. As far as Broadway style shows go - I'm "meh" so it doesn't affect me but I know others are.

A hint of things to come as cruise lines try to recover and keep costs down at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunkey1 said:

Who's stereotyping now? 

Why are folks like you always thinking that someone expressing an opinion is "obsessing"?

AND oh, by the way, I do go to shows (at night) AND observe the scenery, AND participate in activities - I just don't feel the need to share it with the entire world while I'm doing it. 

Snarky much?

I don't know...if you go to the shows you can't really watch the ocean. Don't you have to experience that starry sky to truly live life? 

Alas, I'm guilty of sharing my cruise with the whole world...well the whole Cruise Critic world. I like answering questions for folks, showing the onboard experience. My husband thinks I'm foolish, so he plays Monopoly on his phone while I Critic away. 

Snark! Snark is my middle name. Haven't you been following along? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I absolutely abhor music from the 70's and 80's. I'll listen to pre 70's music, but anything from that time period is just pure garbage to my listening ears. I know plenty of people, like my mom, enjoy music from that era, but I'll take my grandparents music from the 50's and 60's. 

Hmm, it's weird. I, too rode my bike all over the place. Went walking in the woods with my dogs. Swimming at the lake. And then, I went online to my Civil War Chatroom and AIM. Cruise Critic has replaced those chatrooms. Expensive cruises have replaced my expensive teenage hobby of Civil War reenacting. 

I was a school administrator for a few years. I resigned at the end of last year. The kids are ok. They still ride bikes, go to each other's homes for sleepovers, and do other things that don't consist of social media. Y'all really gotta stop watching that one news channel - also, stereotyping about generations is kind of passé. 

As for those who are taking photos/video...I bet they're doing it to share with their families and friends back home to say, hey! look at how amazing my vacation was. I hope you can go with me next time. 

If only we could join forces and police the rude people that treat crew like garbage...but I suppose we'll continue these ageist fights for eternity eh? 

oh man I agree - just let people live their lives and vacation the way they want to. I can't stand it when people do the "back in my day, we did without XYZ and lived a much better life"...yeah ok. 😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

Who's stereotyping now? 

Snarky much?

I mean, you did say, "We LIVED life instead of worrying about sharing every waking moment with every one of our 2000+ "friends"., which is kind of a sh*tty take on people who enjoy sharing moments with their friends. They are living their life too, just are choosing to do it differently than you. Just let them enjoy their life the way they want to and stop judging them for it. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Mrs. Quercus & I are fortunate enough to subscribe to a Broadway touring series here in MSP, so we we've seen a few live shows the past few years, and missed them when they all went dark for COVID. We have a close friend who has toured internationally with companies of Kinky Boots and Annie, among others, and I was talking to him last night about seeing Hairspray this weekend. It reminded me just how much work it takes to put these shows on--and for every person you see on stage there's like 2-3 more doing something to get them there--and they all need to be paid, and if on tour (or on a ship!) fed and housed...etc. 

I don't know if you folks have noticed this where you are, but folks are flailing right now in all the service and hospitality industries--everyone is getting asked to do more with less--I watched a single server try to manage orders and the bar for probably 40 patrons at a BWW last night--with a playoff game going on, no less. What kind of management does that?  How do you deliver quality service if you aren't able to staff better than that?

Anyhow...it's all part of the same situation...need to be a little more patient, tip a little better, whine a lot less.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 10:49 AM, cruiseny4life said:
On 1/14/2023 at 6:19 PM, DaCruiseBug said:

Next up they'll install movie screens in the theatre and just show a recording of each show instead.

Wouldn't put it past NCL anyways...

You'll never know since you claim you'll never cruise NCL again. 

Hmmm where did I make such a claim?

On 1/14/2023 at 7:28 PM, lostinparadise999 said:

We stopped doing NCL when the food variety was cut and extra charges for lamb chops, lobster etc. Also gratuity on other  lines are $16 US and NCL is $20 hmm two gratuity price increases in the same year.

NCL is telling their client there is no deals and it's going to cost you period and the think you will pay because they are NCL.

Just how much does NCL think the cruise passengers will put up with before jumping ship?

Gee the only one that doesn't get salary cut....Del Rio. He will get a bigger bonus. 

When I was on the Prima you could get all the lamb chops you wanted in the Indulge free restaurant. Lobster was always an upcharge. Somewhere I read that they NCL has to make up all the money they lost during shutdown. I love the 50% off all cruises - I checked with my PCC on a CN I have on a cruise in Nov. The prices just keep going up (as expected) many stores do the same thing, raise the prices and then claim that they are giving you a discount.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:49 AM, cruiseny4life said:

You had what? No internet, no streaming, maybe five TV stations? No thanks! 

While I much rather have all the modern technologies, it's sooooo refreshing to get away from it occasionally. It's sad really when my kids punishment isn't being grounded, but to have device privileges taken away. Every toy/Lego/Barbie/magic, science kit in their rooms and they're still "bored". 

I'm a millennial too, but I'd rather have on board entertainment than wi-fi. I'm of the mentality that if I just wanted to be online I wouldn't be on a cruise ship. And if I just wanted to disconnect sans entertainment I would go camping. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Since their entertainment to me seemed repetitive, same old bad comedians, same old magic shows, same old  same old i won't miss  some of them. On our last cruise we didn't go to any shows and we had a good time.  However, on smaller ships like the Gem they used to bring impersonators, singers that were outstanding but not so much the bigger ships. Once you see the shows with Franky valli and the fours season music over and over again you are pretty much done. :-)...IMO

Edited by spanishguy1970

"whatever floats YOUR boat"! What other people do with their time on their vacation or anywhere for that matter does not affect my life one bit. In fact, it puts a smile on my face to see people with a mind of their own doing their own thing...I remember years ago when some people got extremely focused on what people were wearing in the restaurants. Sad to think that someones pair of jeans caused so much of a fuss. But, being true to my own convictions, if you want to spend your cruise time focusing on other people and it brings you joy to do so.... then go for it. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

. Once you see the shows with Franky valli and the fours season music over and over again you are pretty much done. :-)...IMO

thats how i feel with the beatles band on the ships now . wish they had better variety of music

• Like 1

I know it won’t appeal to the live entertainment crowd, but I would mind one of the cruise ships partnering up with a streaming service and starting “Premiers At Sea”. The week that the next season is supposed to come out for a popular season, the premier happens at sea before it does on land. You would be the first to see (First to Sea?) the newest movie or show. You can use it fleetwide without having to staff every ship. 

• Thanks 2

On 1/17/2023 at 8:57 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Sorry to offend your millennial sensibilities - not sure where you got the idea that I am obsessed - but please - feel free to tell your 2000 so called friends that need to know every time you take a breath that I am. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I know it won’t appeal to the live entertainment crowd, but I would mind one of the cruise ships partnering up with a streaming service and starting “Premiers At Sea”. The week that the next season is supposed to come out for a popular season, the premier happens at sea before it does on land. You would be the first to see (First to Sea?) the newest movie or show. You can use it fleetwide without having to staff every ship. 

Lot of possibilities there! By partnering, they could get some actors onboard too, possibly without having to pay them since it would be marketing toward the premiere. 

I know...there's something I'm sure I'm missing that would prevent this. Probably those actors insisting on getting the deluxe owners suite at no charge and premium plus.

14 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Sorry to offend your millennial sensibilities - not sure where you got the idea that I am obsessed - but please - feel free to tell your 2000 so called friends that need to know every time you take a breath that I am. 

What can I say? I'm a snowflake...melting in the extremely high temps of Central NY (ots almost 40)!

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I are on the Gem right now, and have been aboard since January 25. (We’re doing a B2B.). The entertainment is far and away the worst on any cruise we’ve ever taken (including our one cruise on HAL).  In a single cruise, recycling a magician, a comic, another solo performer, some nights with nothing in the theatre at all — very sad. And the solo musicians performing in Magnums and the Atrium are just not very talented, I’m sorry to say. While we don’t cruise “for” the entertainment, it does add value to our experience, and it’s disappointing to see what’s happening here on NCL. 

• Thanks 1

I think the crew talent show is going to make a comeback. I dont like Broadway shows but enjoy them while cruising. I think I enjoy them at sea because its something I would not pay to see on land. I always come away impressed how good they are even though some of them like Legally Blonde have very thin scripts.   I get how expensive they can be.  They have cut back on perks, food, cabin services, room service,  beverage and now entertainment.

Its funny how with all the cuts the prices keep going up 😲

Edited by david_sobe