Long Haul Flight - Refrigerated Meds

SCOOBY3015

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, so please excuse the imposition….

I have mediations that need to be refrigerated, how is this handle on a long haul flight?
Traveling to Barcelona from Detroit in May. Connection is in Canada. Flight is 12 hours.

Any info would be appreciated 😊

45 minutes ago, SCOOBY3015 said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, so please excuse the imposition….

I have mediations that need to be refrigerated, how is this handle on a long haul flight?
Traveling to Barcelona from Detroit in May. Connection is in Canada. Flight is 12 hours.

Any info would be appreciated 😊

I think the normal expectation is for the passenger to bring their medication in a cooler and the airline can provide ice in flight if needed.  

I am assuming your on Air Canada.  If so they have a medical desk that makes those types of special arrangements.   There some contact info under the questions tab.  You could give them a call.  

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/accessibility.html#/home:

1 hour ago, SCOOBY3015 said:

That makes perfect sense, thank you ☺️
I will review the link, not sure if it’s Air Canada

All the airlines have medical desks.  If you let them know in advance they will arrangement if required ahead of time. 

I  use a refrigerated medication cooler from a company called 4AllFamily.  It needs to be connected to a power source: 120 or a power bank.  I have two power banks and each one keeps the cooler at 36 to 46 degrees for 20 hours.  I am so happy with this produce.  If you have questions, please email me at  margied489 at  aol.com

PS my cooler holds 2 Humira pens in their wrapper and 3 if you take one out of the wrapper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gator489 said:

I  use a refrigerated medication cooler from a company called 4AllFamily.  It needs to be connected to a power source: 120 or a power bank.  I have two power banks and each one keeps the cooler at 36 to 46 degrees for 20 hours.

Please note that there are some airlines that have very restrictive policies regarding the use of "devices" onboard aircraft.  Many of these policies are about use of the onboard AC power, but some relate to any device usage.  In addition, China has notably had restrictions on the quantity of power banks that can be carried aboard in your carry-on.  Various other countries have similar restrictions, along with some airlines.

Not saying that they can't be used, but it is wise to always confirm that these are approved for travel.  Both by the airlines you will be flying, as well as the countries through which you will be traveling (including connections).  Because you don't want to find out otherwise when you are flying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you gone to the medication manufacturers website.

I use Embrel injectors.

This medication requires refrigeration, however, they also say that it’s okay to go 14 days without refrigeration.

They will also send me a travel cooler bag for my medication if needed.