Don't want your free photos anymore?

SilkySal

16 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Let me see, Selfie or Professional Grade Photo

Let me see, send my family a photo of me in at landmark in a beautiful foreign port where none of us ever dreamed any of us would go, or a picture of me in my work uniform with people that none of us know from Adam's house cat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, publicpersona said:

Let me see, send my family a photo of me in at landmark in a beautiful foreign port where none of us ever dreamed any of us would go, or a picture of me in my work uniform with people that none of us know from Adam's house cat.

This could go on for ever. However, we are and I'm responding to the Server having a professional grade photo taken in the MDR, with or without the guest(s) or a selfie in the MDR, with or without the guests.  I don't think the ship's "professional grade photographers" will follow guests or crew to those beautiful landmarks.  So, I guess it's obvious, or should be, that the discussion of "professional Grade Photos" is limited to the ship and, possibly, pier.

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

This could go on for ever. However, we are and I'm responding to the Server having a professional grade photo taken in the MDR, with or without the guest(s) or a selfie in the MDR, with or without the guests.  I don't think the ship's "professional grade photographers" will follow guests or crew to those beautiful landmarks.  So, I guess it's obvious, or should be, that the discussion of "professional Grade Photos" is limited to the ship and, possibly, pier.

Exactly my point. The so-called professional grade photos are limited to snapshots in the MDR (not even in the "studio" settings where the pictures are carefully posed) vs. the selfie which can be any time any place and of the subject's choice of composition. Seems like an easy choice to me. Also, as shown above, strangers in that MDR photo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

No doubt there have been instances where this wasn't noticed at the checkout, but in fact you do.

image.thumb.png.be23d2d0916da509ef5432fcbea0abc7.png

Like most things RCL do not believe what you read. We often give away our free photos. (Btw, they no longer print all photos. You view them on a screen then they print your choice. )

• Like 1

If it is a requirement to be in the photo, that doesn't mean that you have to be the focal point of the picture.  Maybe just sitting at table way in the background or up front at the bottom of the frame or something.  When there is a will there's a way.  Having said that, what if you want the photographer to take a picture of a beautiful island off of a balcony/deck?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, xtremegk said:

Given the waiters aren't supposed to have cell phones out while working, the likelihood of a selfie while actually working (the idea of showing your family what it is that you do) is very slim.

Silly! You don't think could go early and take a pix IF they wanted a photo of themselves at work for their family. Think before posting.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Exactly my point. The so-called professional grade photos are limited to snapshots in the MDR (not even in the "studio" settings where the pictures are carefully posed) vs. the selfie which can be any time any place and of the subject's choice of composition. Seems like an easy choice to me. Also, as shown above, strangers in that MDR photo.

Well, I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to get at.  But, that's Okay, I'm old.

However, just about any picture, professional or not, carefully posed or not, in an active dining room, will include strangers, if that's the choice of composition, and many many people are proud of their "work uniform", I don't see why a server, the Captain, or dishwasher on a RCCL cruise ship would be any different. 

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

I think you need to be in your free picture. 

Maybe for ships with the digital photo kiosks. On older ships where they print the pics you just take the photo to the desk and buy it, no questions asked.

Even on the newer ships you can get a photo transferred to your account. We did that to get a photo of our three sons on our recent Oasis cruise. 

Edited by cruisin from florida

21 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Well, I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to get at.  But, that's Okay, I'm old.

However, just about any picture, professional or not, carefully posed or not, in an active dining room, will include strangers, if that's the choice of composition, and many many people are proud of their "work uniform", I don't see why a server, the Captain, or dishwasher on a RCCL cruise ship would be any different. 

Crop tool

9 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Crop tool

LOL

Not always the best thing to do with a good picture and/or if you want, "choice of composition" the general public, patrons, whatever in the picture.  I picture of your real world.  

One, me = Selfie

One, not me = not selfie

Can you tell which one is which?   

BTW, the selfie was cropped!

Man bun.jpg

Me with stash.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

LOL

Not always the best thing to do with a good picture and/or if you want, "choice of composition" the general public, patrons, whatever in the picture.  I picture of your real world.  

One, me = Selfie

One, not me = not selfie

Man bun.jpg

Me with stash.jpg

Yes.

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Well, I'm old too, so maybe I should put context around my point. At issue here is the value that a dining room worker would have receiving a paper photograph, taken as a snapshot hurriedly including strangers* to send home to family when that same person could at any time or any place take a photo of themselves in potentially in much more interesting and meaningful places, and be able to send it electronically back home. Given the plethora of opportunities to do the latter, I just don't see how valuable that paper photo would be. I suspect that gratitude shown was in the least embellished in an effort to be polite.

* The idea that the ship photographers would take a photo of staff by themselves doesn't seem likely, and even if they would, the photo shop would have difficulty finding such a photo without your face in it, and then would have to be willing to overlook the policy that the guest receiving the free photo must be in the picture. I also suggest that the wait staff would love to get done with appeasing a passenger in this way so they could get back to their very demanding job.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Well, I'm old too, so maybe I should put context around my point. At issue here is the value that a dining room worker would have receiving a paper photograph, taken as a snapshot hurriedly including strangers* to send home to family when that same person could at any time or any place take a photo of themselves in potentially in much more interesting and meaningful places, and be able to send it electronically back home. Given the plethora of opportunities to do the latter, I just don't see how valuable that paper photo would be. I suspect that gratitude shown was in the least embellished in an effort to be polite.

Gotchya! 

However, although the OP or anybody else, including me, didn't mention it, I'm not limiting my generosity to just a paper photo.  And, I don't understand the adversity to having "strangers" or what is natural to the surrounding in a photo.  BTW, there are lots of apps that will scan a photo to be sent via email or any other electronic media.  "in a much more interesting and meaningful place" = a matter of prospective and purpose of the subject. 

34 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

* The idea that the ship photographers would take a photo of staff by themselves doesn't seem likely, and even if they would, the photo shop would have difficulty finding such a photo without your face in it, and then would have to be willing to overlook the policy that the guest receiving the free photo must be in the picture. I also suggest that the wait staff would love to get done with appeasing a passenger in this way so they could get back to their very demanding job.

See post #33. 

Sometimes it isn't the gift, it's the thought.  I think if I gave a server a paper 8X10 glossy or SD card of him/her as the focal point of the photo AND a nice tip, they'd be happy with one, the other, or both.  At this point I hope he/se is pleased but I know I feel good about what I just did, goodwill. Not being the ugly-American.  For general consumption> No, that's not to saying that if you don't do what I do makes you and ugly-American (you have to watch what you say around here, there's a lot of thin skinned folks in here and those that get their exercise by jumping to conclusions and rushing to judgement).

23 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Crew members have cell phones and can more easily send their families electronic images than carry out some paper copy with strangers for months at a time.  They are being polite to you.

if their place of employment is anything like mine was, you can't use your cell phone while working.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

if their place of employment is anything like mine was, you can't use your cell phone while working.

Very true.  Also, and I freely admit that I don't know the policy on RCCL, they may not be allowed into the dining rooms/MDR if not physically on duty.  I do know that the crew is very restricted as to where they are allow to be in.  For example, laundry room crew CAN NOT go into the guest cabin areas, on duty or off.  Officers, and only certain officers can go into certain food venues that are normally used by guests.  There are lots of restriction on crew members as to where and when they can go or not go.  I was once told by an entertainer that regardless of being on duty or not. in uniform or not, in guest areas or not, ALL crew members must have either their crew ID displayed or Name Tag.   

4 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

Maybe for ships with the digital photo kiosks. On older ships where they print the pics you just take the photo to the desk and buy it, no questions asked.

Even on the newer ships you can get a photo transferred to your account. We did that to get a photo of our three sons on our recent Oasis cruise. 

You are probably right. This/last year we used it on Anthem, Oasis, Adventure ... I do not remember how it worked on Enchantment.

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

LOL

One, me = Selfie

One, not me = not selfie

Man bun.jpg

Me with stash.jpg

Darn it MP!

You keep lobbing high slow softballs that a batter is drooling so much to hit that they swing three times before it even gets over the plate.

That last line was so small, I am not sure if I can read it. 😁

Was the line "cropped" or "crapped"?  🤣😁😁🤪