Carrying Off Luggage

14 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Again, you don't pack anything valuable or anything you can't afford to lose in your "checked" luggage.  

Again, I think it's quite rare for something to be stolen from checked luggage, but it can /does happen.  I think none of us are foolish enough to pack something like electronics, medicine or jewelry ... but who'd ever think someone would steal a pack of Little Debbies?  Few things in my suitcase have monetary value, but I'd be upset not to have the use of them on my cruise ... I'm thinking of things like my sandals or my hair ties:  zero monetary value to anyone else, but I'd definitely miss them during the cruise.  

1 hour ago, Missusdubbya said:

maybe he should have packed his own cookies

Well, in this case, it wouldn't have mattered.  They disappeared.  But, if he'd packed them himself, he wouldn't have been angry with my sister, thinking she forgot them.  

I don't know how other families handle packing, but I have my husband lay the things he wants to take on the bed, and I Tetris them into the suitcase because I like doing it, and I can pack things really small. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury

18 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

but who'd ever think someone would steal a pack of Little Debbies? 

My kids and grandkids steal our Little Debbies, especially the oatmeal ones, out of our pantry every time they visit.  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Again, I think it's quite rare for something to be stolen from checked luggage, but it can /does happen.  I think none of us are foolish enough to pack something like electronics, medicine or jewelry ... but who'd ever think someone would steal a pack of Little Debbies?  Few things in my suitcase have monetary value, but I'd be upset not to have the use of them on my cruise ... I'm thinking of things like my sandals or my hair ties:  zero monetary value to anyone else, but I'd definitely miss them during the cruise.  

Well, in this case, it wouldn't have mattered.  They disappeared.  But, if he'd packed them himself, he wouldn't have been angry with my sister, thinking she forgot them.  

I don't know how other families handle packing, but I have my husband lay the things he wants to take on the bed, and I Tetris them into the suitcase because I like doing it, and I can pack things really small. 

Totally agree it's rare for something to be stolen out of checked luggage, but since I don't put anything of value in it, I don't worry one bit about something being stolen.  If something is stolen, yes, it might be something I'd "miss", but I can either do without or fairly easily replace.  

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

My husband packs his own things, cookies and all. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

My wife does all the packing.  If something of mine is missing when we get to where we are going and I try to make a big deal of it, I get the, "tough S*!^, you should have packed it then".  :classic_wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/15/2023 at 5:49 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

The regular lines can be pretty long too.  

Sad but true.  

We used self-disembarkation in Miami a few months ago, and we were behind a middle-aged daughter and an elderly mother, who each were managing a giant rolling suitcase + a smaller rolling suitcase (it was an 8-day cruise -- how much stuff did they need?).  The mother expressed concerns about her ability, but the daughter insisted she'd be fine.  

The mother did fine getting off the ship, but in the terminal we were faced with the choice of an elevator (with a pretty significant line) or the escalator.  The daughter pushed the mother to take the escalator.  I purposefully waited /gave her a lot of space before I stepped on the escalator, and it was a good thing:  at the foot of the escalator, where you have to step off, the mother tripped and fell, and her bags went askew.  If I'd been right behind her, I'd have fallen over her.  

Most ports will not allow you on the escalator unless you have one hand free…..

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

My wife does all the packing.  If something of mine is missing when we get to where we are going and I try to make a big deal of it, I get the, "tough S*!^, you should have packed it then".  :classic_wacko:

And a "You old Dufflebag....." with a snort to follow. Do not touch the Lioness's tail unless you want to see the front end bearing teeth! 😆

"Sorry Honey, I'm good."  Translation...😱

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Missusdubbya said:

Absolutely not!!  My husband needs Garanimals for men.  He’s neither color blind not stupid but matching tops with appropriate bottoms is beyond him.  He lays it all out then I go back & fix it.  

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 10:22 AM, renza said:

We always walk off with our luggage anytime we want. So easy. 

I'm curious.....how long can you stay on the ship before disembarking?  Our flight leaves late in the day and I'm in no hurry to jump off the ship. Can you have a relaxing breakfast before leaving?   

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Absolutely not!!  My husband needs Garanimals for men.  He’s neither color blind not stupid but matching tops with appropriate bottoms is beyond him.  He lays it all out then I go back & fix it.  

Oh, my ... if you ever find those, share the source with me.  My husband is wonderful, but he seriously can't dress himself.  Ask him where he gets his clothes; he'll tell you, "Foot of the bed."  In his experience /33 years of marriage, that's where he gets them.  

7 minutes ago, NinnerN said:

I'm curious.....how long can you stay on the ship before disembarking?  Our flight leaves late in the day and I'm in no hurry to jump off the ship. Can you have a relaxing breakfast before leaving?   

I don't know exactly what time they'll kick you out, but you can absolutely have a nice breakfast before you leave.  Unless you're married to my husband, of course; he can only see the car and the road on the last day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, NinnerN said:

It depends on what time you wake-up. Not trying to be snarky, the breakfast menus open up as soon as 5:30am on the morning of debarkation. They would like to have you out of your room by 8am into other main areas which include dining areas. You will be pushed to be off the ship by 10am since they have to have a clear manifest before the next trip in 60 minutes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Oh, my ... if you ever find those, share the source with me.  My husband is wonderful, but he seriously can't dress himself.  Ask him where he gets his clothes; he'll tell you, "Foot of the bed."  In his experience /33 years of marriage, that's where he gets them.  

I don't know exactly what time they'll kick you out, but you can absolutely have a nice breakfast before you leave.  Unless you're married to my husband, of course; he can only see the car and the road on the last day. 

Thanks..Haha..maybe that's how I'll feel too but I doubt it.  If you have your luggage taken off by the porters, does the 

3 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

It depends on what time you wake-up. Not trying to be snarky, the breakfast menus open up as soon as 5:30am on the morning of debarkation. They would like to have you out of your room by 8am into other main areas which include dining areas. You will be pushed to be off the ship by 10am since they have to have a clear manifest before the next trip in 60 minutes.

Thanks for this.  If you have porters take your luggage, there's no hurry to have to claim it at the port correct? 

19 minutes ago, NinnerN said:

Just remember the staff wants you off as they have a ship to turn over and the folks who will be starting their cruise want you off too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NinnerN said:

Thanks..Haha..maybe that's how I'll feel too but I doubt it.  If you have your luggage taken off by the porters, does the 

Thanks for this.  If you have porters take your luggage, there's no hurry to have to claim it at the port correct? 

Your bags will get quite lonely after 10:30am. The rush hour for bags seems to be about 9am and the porters will be in full work mode as they are juggling getting you out of the port as new arrivals start coming in.

The ship will inform you what rooms should debark at what times to create a happy reunion of passengers to their bags. It is a guideline and has a time line of +/- 45 minutes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NinnerN said:

We tend to leave late too. We sleep in and drive home usually by 9:30. We live in south Florida so close to all ports. By about 9:30 they are kicking you off. We get up at 9 and take our time. 

• Like 1

No.  If you put your luggage out for the porters, you're assigned a time slot when your luggage will be put out.  You're expected to show up during that time slot: 

-  Show up early, and your luggage won't yet be available. 

-  Show up on time, and you'll have a sea of luggage through which you must sort.

-  Show up late, and your stuff will have been removed so the new time slot's luggage can be set out.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

Is there any way of making sure others don't steal your bag?  Do you have to show ID before taking it or anything?

No, but it's not likely to happen.  

You can guard against accidental suitcase-theft by bringing something unique-looking.  

3 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

And a "You old Dufflebag....." with a snort to follow. Do not touch the Lioness's tail unless you want to see the front end bearing teeth! 😆

"Sorry Honey, I'm good."  Translation...😱

"Yes dear, I'm sorry you screwed up".  Next thing I knew, I was waking up in the ER.

Hey, BTW, how's the Snipe Hunting going?  You got a good supply of brown paper bags?  

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No, but it's not likely to happen.  

You can guard against accidental suitcase-theft by bringing something unique-looking.  

I guess if there is no need to show ID, it will be better for those of us who worry to show up on the early side so as to be there as they put out our time slot's luggage.   I will forever think of that white house official when I think of luggage thieves.   Also, even if they don't steal anything worth any money, it still really stinks to have your luggage stolen.   It happened to me once in Barcelona, Spain.  For the next couple of years I kept reaching for certain clothing pieces then to realize they were gone.  You take your favorite things on vacation.  

ETA:  I still mourn the less of those bright-red, wide-whale corduroy bermuda shorts.  

Edited by HappyTexan44

On 1/15/2023 at 3:49 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I purposefully waited /gave her a lot of space before I stepped on the escalator, and it was a good thing:  at the foot of the escalator, where you have to step off, the mother tripped and fell, and her bags went askew.  If I'd been right behind her, I'd have fallen over her.  

Happens all the time.  Pier staff will try to encourage disembarking passengers who they think may have difficulty on the escalator to use the elevator instead.  Passengers opting to use the escalator are told to keep their bags either next to them, or behind them.  If they have their luggage in front they will oftentimes trip over the luggage because they can't quite push the suitcase over the little lip at the bottom of the escalator.  There is usually a staff person at the bottom of the escalator to pull the suitcase out of the way, or to grab the passenger that is about to fall over their suitcase.  They also are the ones to activate the emergency stop button if needed.

36 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I guess if there is no need to show ID, it will be better for those of us who worry to show up on the early side so as to be there as they put out our time slot's luggage ...

Even if you show up early, you're still going to have to search for your things in an absolute sea of luggage.  It seems to me that -- assuming you're able to do it -- carrying off your own luggage is faster and easier. 

If you're going to send your stuff through this way, at least do something to make it look different.  Probably 90% of the luggage is plain black.  If you're choosing new luggage, choose a bright color.  Or buy a stretch cover for your luggage, or mark it with colorful duct tape, or tie something bright to the handle.  

26 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Personally, I've always been a bit paranoid about something being put into my luggage that would be better off for me not being there. It doesn't matter how irrational that may seem to anyone else. 

The bottom line is that you've gotta do what makes you comfortable.  

10 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

... Passengers opting to use the escalator are told to keep their bags either next to them, or behind them ...

That is good sense.  

When I saw the woman fall, no staff member was anywhere nearby -- could have been an odd moment when the person was forced to step away.