Transport World Cruise Port (LA) to San Diego Cruise Port

Oscar13

I have booked a cruise ending in LA, trying to see if it is feasible to get from LA to San Diego to catch the Wonder that leaves the same day.

If it is possible, any suggestions on how to get there?  Really don't want to fly or rent a car.  I have tried looking at shuttles but can only find from LAX, not the cruise port.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Karen

San Diego is over 100 miles away.

option a) take Metro to Union Station, then Amtrak to San Diego.  It's about a 10 minute walk to the nearest Metro pick-up location, and 10 minutes from the Amtrak station to the pier.  This will require close to 5 hours or more to complete.

option b) take an Uber/Lyft to the Greyhound Station in Long Beach (not walkable & no reasonable public transit).  Take Greyhound to San Diego, then either walk 1.5 miles, take a 20-minute bus ride or hire an Uber/Lyft.  This will require close to 4 hours to complete.

Amtrak would be an AWFUL option in my opinion.

It takes too long and is unreliable.

If you really want to do it I think your two options are 1) rent a car for a one-way rental or 2) hire a private shuttle/driver.

If you go with rental car, you have to know what day of the week the close by agencies (Hertz & Enterprise) are open and the hours. I believe both are closed Sunday.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:05 PM, Itried4498 said:

option a) take Metro to Union Station, then Amtrak to San Diego.  It's about a 10 minute walk to the nearest Metro pick-up location, and 10 minutes from the Amtrak station to the pier.  This will require close to 5 hours or more to complete.

I agree with Scott that Amtrak is most likely not the most reliable (and therefore not the best) option here but taking the Metro to Union Station to do so is ludicrous-- will easily add on an hour to what is already an hour Uber ride from San Pedro to Union Station. Especially with luggage. 

If you were to do Amtrak a much better option would be from Anaheim which is only about a 2h 20m train ride when things are running on time (which doesn't always happen on Amtrak's West Coast trains. This is less than an hour door to door and you aren't going North just to go South as you would have to with Union Station. 

Again, I think you should most likely rent a one way car or get a car service (personally I think the car service would be more enjoyable/efficient when you consider the time/cost to get to the rental agency to pick up/drop off and fuel the car but thats me). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I agree with Scott that Amtrak is most likely not the most reliable (and therefore not the best) option here but taking the Metro to Union Station to do so is ludicrous-- will easily add on an hour to what is already an hour Uber ride from San Pedro to Union Station. Especially with luggage. 

If you were to do Amtrak a much better option would be from Anaheim which is only about a 2h 20m train ride when things are running on time (which doesn't always happen on Amtrak's West Coast trains. This is less than an hour door to door and you aren't going North just to go South as you would have to with Union Station. 

Again, I think you should most likely rent a one way car or get a car service (personally I think the car service would be more enjoyable/efficient when you consider the time/cost to get to the rental agency to pick up/drop off and fuel the car but thats me). 

I agree that hiring a car would be the best option.  Taking a peak at the Uber app, you can reserve a ride in advance (from the San Pedro cruise terminal to the San Diego cruise terminal) for about $170.

But Metro/Amtrak is a viable option.  The Silver Line is a short walk from the San Pedro cruise terminal and goes directly to Union Station, largely though a dedicated/enclosed lane on the freeway.  Amtrak is reliable during commuter hours, and the lion's share of delays are one hour or less, so it leaves plenty of breathing room.  San Diego pier is a short walk from the Amtrak station as well.  Not ideal, but $25-$30pp.

A rental car would require an Uber into Long Beach, a one-way rental likely to San Diego's airport then another Uber ride to the pier.  Considering the cost of a one-way rental (a quick search yields $110 as the cheapest option - Enterprise in DT Long Beach to the airport), this likely wouldn't save more than a few bucks than reserving an Uber.  

4 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

But Metro/Amtrak is a viable option.

I will continue to disagree that Amtrak is reasonable option and it is especially unreasonable if someone would attempt to go way out of the way to go to Union Station to get the train.

Amtrak's on time performance is abysmal.

Hi all

Thank you for all the suggestions.  Don't want to risk missing the boat (in more ways than one).  

I think our best bet is Uber after reading everything, I hadn't even thought of Uber don't have them where we live.  I don't want to deal with LA traffic and not being sure where to exactly go would add more stress.

Again thanks

Karen

• Like 1

I checked with the company below and they answered me back that yes, they do San Pedro World  Cruise Terminal to SD Cruise Terminal.

Airport Express Shuttle private and direct

www.laxairportshuttle.com

Phone: 1-310-645-8181

I'd contact them through their website or call.