Jewel and Covid....hope not

roger001

We were on the Jewel, Jan 7th cruise.  Got home on the 14th.   Last night my wife developed a sore throat.  This morning a splitting headache and slight fever.  Has tested twice for Covid today, positive.  I feel fine and tested twice, negative.  Anyone else on that cruise might take a test just in case.  A bunch of the crew were getting off for their 3 month break.    With this rapid spread of the latest virus, we might be seeing masks and vaccination certificates necessary on cruises again.  

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

With this rapid spread of the latest virus, we might be seeing masks and vaccination certificates necessary on cruises again.  

What is this "rapid spread of the latest virus?"  Aren't we still just business as usual?  I checked the CDC data tracker and it looks like steady state.  Why would we go backwards?

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if there weren't some number of people who get COVID on any given cruise.  My friends picked it up on the Joy a few months ago; I did not (we're all vaxxed to the hilt.)  Thankfully, their cases were minor and they were over the worst of it in a few days.

I'd argue that today's COVID is much less lethal than the 2020 variants so it's just one of those acceptable risks for most of us.  I don't want COVID, or the flu, or norovirus, etc.  But it's just one of those hazards of cruising that you can mitigate but not eliminate.

19 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

What is this "rapid spread of the latest virus?"  Aren't we still just business as usual?  I checked the CDC data tracker and it looks like steady state.  Why would we go backwards?

The reports indicate that the current variant is more contagious than prior versions, though apparently less serious for most people, qand it is expected to take off, but who knows. 

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zqvol said:

The reports indicate that the current variant is more contagious than prior versions and it is expected to take off, but who knows. 

Does "more contagious" equate to "more serious?"  I don't think so.  Covid seems to become less severe with every variant (typical pattern for viruses), so there may not be any real news here.

• Like 1