Galveston - Fog 2023

YadaYadaJodi

Hello! On the news this morning - Tues 1/17/23 - Galveston itself was experiencing zero visibility due to fog. I was curious whether this had been effecting any cruise arrivals/departures recently. Anyone keeping track? I know it's the season for it! 

We sail Feb 5-12 on the Allure of the Seas. 

Thanks!

We sailed Disney in early December and it was very foggy both leaving and coming back in. We kept hearing the fog horn and sailed right through it in both directions.  The fog was bad enough on the way out that the reflection of my flash on the camera caused a "white out" picture!

On 1/26/2023 at 2:17 PM, ssb said:

The cruise ships have priority in moving in/out of the port,

and do move in fog .

That's great news, as we're looking at a November trip out of Galveston. The first (and so far, only) trip we've made from there was a  few years ago, and it was the only time we have ever been denied docking due to fog.  We stayed at anchor until around 2PM and had to stay at IAH overnight until we could fly out the next day.

14 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

That's great news, as we're looking at a November trip out of Galveston. The first (and so far, only) trip we've made from there was a  few years ago, and it was the only time we have ever been denied docking due to fog.  We stayed at anchor until around 2PM and had to stay at IAH overnight until we could fly out the next day.

Yes There have  been delays in past because of

Mother Nature herself . As in all cruise ports around the world. 

On 1/22/2023 at 10:28 AM, ssb said:

No fog delays this year . 
Pilots/ Coast  Guard / Royal worked out  settlement to move ships in fog . 

I just booked private transportation from the port back to the airport for our April cruise and asked the representative about what would happen if the ship arrived into the port late, specifically for fog. He told me that the ships don't come in late for fog any more - that when fog is expected, they bring the ships in at midnight. (but then he was kind enough to go through the steps for what would happen with our transportation if we did come in late for any other reason, like a medical emergency that delays us). 

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

I just booked private transportation from the port back to the airport for our April cruise and asked the representative about what would happen if the ship arrived into the port late, specifically for fog. He told me that the ships don't come in late for fog any more - that when fog is expected, they bring the ships in at midnight. (but then he was kind enough to go through the steps for what would happen with our transportation if we did come in late for any other reason, like a medical emergency that delays us). 

Good news