Bruge transportation

lhsail

We have decided on going to Bruges when we dock in Zeebrugge. Viator offers a shuttle back and forth for about $23pp. Seems like it would be very easy to do the city on your own. Anyone have any experience with a Viator shuttle arrangement?  We are in port 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. 

This past November, the QM2 diverted from the last few Norway ports to Zeebruge - and apparently Cunard needed to scramble to put shore excursions together.

There was a shuttle service from the pier to a nearby town of Blankenberge, with a drop off near shopping and train station. I picked us some wine and over the counter medicine, then returned to the port in time for lunch - with an after lunch excursion booked.

There were light rail tracks visible during the bus ride, but I did not see any trains or trams in either direction. (did not bother to check public transit arrangements)

The ship offered a "Bruges on your own" bus ride - if available, that may be a better option than exploring tram, train and bus connections. This was popular, and sold out quickly.

The tour we were able to book included a visit to a canal side village of 'Damme' [scenic venue for photos, good beer], a trip into a the outskirts of Bruges for a chocolate stop [Mrs Bear and I each bought a kilo or so] and then a stop at a great house the "Kasteel van Loppem" 

12 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

This past November, the QM2 diverted from the last few Norway ports to Zeebruge - and apparently Cunard needed to scramble to put shore excursions together.

There was a shuttle service from the pier to a nearby town of Blankenberge, with a drop off near shopping and train station. I picked us some wine and over the counter medicine, then returned to the port in time for lunch - with an after lunch excursion booked.

There were light rail tracks visible during the bus ride, but I did not see any trains or trams in either direction. (did not bother to check public transit arrangements)

The ship offered a "Bruges on your own" bus ride - if available, that may be a better option than exploring tram, train and bus connections. This was popular, and sold out quickly.

The tour we were able to book included a visit to a canal side village of 'Damme' [scenic venue for photos, good beer], a trip into a the outskirts of Bruges for a chocolate stop [Mrs Bear and I each bought a kilo or so] and then a stop at a great house the "Kasteel van Loppem" 

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, our ship does not offer the “on your own” option or that would be our choice. There is a train, but it seems the station in Bruges is a bit from the city center.  Certainly we’ll find something that will work. 

6 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

FYI, you thinking that Bruges can be done on your own is spot on.  It's a lovely city to just walk around.  But you will need to find the transport.  I'm surprised your cruise line isn't offering some form of shuttle into the city.

We used taxi snel and shared an 8 passenger taxi for 27€ round trip per couple.  Took a free people tour around the city square.  Had lunch and walked until our prearranged pick up time

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

FYI, you thinking that Bruges can be done on your own is spot on.  It's a lovely city to just walk around.  But you will need to find the transport.  I'm surprised your cruise line isn't offering some form of shuttle into the city.

They have three shore excursions. Probably prefer you take a full excursion with them. 

57 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

Home : Cruise Express (cruise-express.be)    From € 20 return shuttle ticket per adult. We used them in 2018. Perfect connection from just outside the cruise terminal (port shuttle from ship to exit) to Brugge. In Brugge a short walk from the Parking lot to the entrance of the town. Enjoy Brugge!

Thank you. This is just the kind of thing I’m looking for. Recent reviews indicate some people had issues with the shuttles not running on time for the return. No one missed the ships, but kind of disorganized. I have sent them an inquiry. 

On 1/17/2023 at 8:57 PM, lhsail said:

How did you get to and from Bruge?

Four of us hired a car/driver, but we were coming from Brussels, pre cruise.  However, it looks like Ihsail's recommendation is excellent.

Edited by mskaufman