Recommendations for a tour guide in Villefranche for Eze and Medieval Towns

jmmess

We are I nterested in Eze and possibly other medieval town tours from Villafranche (Nice) - does anyone have any recommendations for a tour company, tour guide, or taxi driver?

Several tours that I’ve seen on Viator for example only spend 30-40 minutes there and do not visit other similar medieval towns.

We can’t take a train as my mom has limited mobility and need a van that can hold a collapsible wheelchair or foldable scooter. (We are aware that Eze is not the best for limited mobility, but we want to see the town as love old towns and castles. Mom will hang out with one of us while the others explore.)

Eze would be awful for folks with limited mobility.  There are a lot of slopes to the walkways and many of the shops are relatively small (and with steps) that would the use of wheelchairs/scooters difficult. 

As to medieval towns, St Paul de Vence would be our favorite (in this region) but would also present some major challenges to folks in wheelchairs and scooters.  Combing Eze Village and St Paul de Vence, during a port day is possible, but not a very efficient use of time as it can take about an hour to drive between those two towns.

Hank

• Like 1

Saint Paul the Vence would be more doable for someone with limited mobility than Eze.  A driver can bring a mobility impaired person just to the entrance of the town by the restaurant Le Tilleul. The access to the center of the town by the fountain is more of a long, straight ramp than in Eze.  From the fountain, you can continue straight down the main street for a good distance.  There are a couple more areas to explore up from the fountain for the more able. I would really recommend a scooter for a more comfortable ride on the stone pavements. 

Your mom would not be able to see as much in Eze.  There are more switch backs and steeper climbs in Eze.  

Another possibility is Antibes, a medieval town right on the shore.  The entire town is flat and you can cover it all with the scooter.  There are many sidewalk cafes and areas where your mon can stop and rest.   Antibes can be easily combined with Saint Paul. 

Nice old town is also flat.  You would all enjoy the Flower Market.

We have often used this company for airport transfers.  You might want to check their tours.  At any rate, email them and explain your situation.

https://www.friend-in-france.com/private-tours

Look at itinerary idea #1 in this tour.  It could be easily adapted to your requirements.

https://www.friend-in-france.com/product-page/riviera-old-town-tour

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 2:17 PM, marazul said:

Saint Paul the Vence would be more doable for someone with limited mobility than Eze.  A driver can bring a mobility impaired person just to the entrance of the town by the restaurant Le Tilleul. The access to the center of the town by the fountain is more of a long, straight ramp than in Eze.  From the fountain, you can continue straight down the main street for a good distance.  There are a couple more areas to explore up from the fountain for the more able. I would really recommend a scooter for a more comfortable ride on the stone pavements. 

Your mom would not be able to see as much in Eze.  There are more switch backs and steeper climbs in Eze.  

Another possibility is Antibes, a medieval town right on the shore.  The entire town is flat and you can cover it all with the scooter.  There are many sidewalk cafes and areas where your mon can stop and rest.   Antibes can be easily combined with Saint Paul. 

Nice old town is also flat.  You would all enjoy the Flower Market.

We have often used this company for airport transfers.  You might want to check their tours.  At any rate, email them and explain your situation.

https://www.friend-in-france.com/private-tours

Look at itinerary idea #1 in this tour.  It could be easily adapted to your requirements.

https://www.friend-in-france.com/product-page/riviera-old-town-tour

When was the last time you used Friend in France? I’ve sent two emails and haven’t gotten a response, so wasn’t sure if they are still in business?

1 hour ago, jmmess said:

When was the last time you used Friend in France? I’ve sent two emails and haven’t gotten a response, so wasn’t sure if they are still in business?

A few months before covid.  Their website seems to show they are still in business. Don't know what else to tell you. I hope they respond soon.

• Thanks 1

We are seeing signs of an almost weird phenomenon across several of the European and Asian boards.  Post Covid, many of the previously recommended local tour providers seem to have disappeared.  And to make matters worse, the cruise lines also seem to be having issues arranging a good selection of excursions to meet the needs of their passengers.  

My hunch (and it is just a hunch) is that many tour companies have simply gone out of business and lots of tour guides have moved on to other jobs.  It has been nearly 3 years of little to no work, and that industry has suffered.  With time, I expect things will begin to move back to a new normal.

For those of us with a history of extensive independent travel, the tour guide problem is not an important issue.  But for the many cruisers who rely, almost exclusively on tours/excursions, a cruise can now become an exercise in frustration.

I can only suggest that folks not give up and simply keep trying to contact various recommended sources.  There are "consolidators" like Viator and loosely formed groups like Tours by Locals that offer options.  Unfortunately, those that feel compelled to stick with tours may find themselves having to take some risk with relatively unknown tour providers.  

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1