Included food on HAL/Zuiderdam

3113Timmy

Thinking about going on the Voyage of the Vikings Rotterdam-Boston this summer via Iceland.

The Berlitz guide did not give an inspiring review of the included food on HAL ships, stating they were lacking in "passion and taste" and there is overuse on rice and iceberg lettuce and a deficiency in green vegetables (read: blatant cost-cutting). Food is a huge factor in choosing yea or nay on a cruise for me, I don't need lobster every night, but I don't accept boarding-house-grade-slop either.

Went on Royal Carribbean in Alaska 11 years ago and the food had no issues at all - every meal was tasty.

Any opinions?

Many of the “Live from” threads are posting menus.  I suggest you explore some of their impressions.

@Crew Newshas posted a wonderful resources which includes not only Main Dining Room (MDR) and the Lido (buffet)  but all the specialty restaurants menus.  Check them out and see for yourself.
https://rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/

I do not agree 

32 minutes ago, 3113Timmy said:

overuse on rice and iceberg lettuce and a deficiency in green vegetables

Rice is not overused; there are more pasta dishes than ones with rice.  Many salads are prepared with other types of lettuce.  There are plenty of green vegetables and you can always ask for an additional side of vegetables.

BTW-  what was the publication date of your Berlioz cruise guide.  The most recent one I can find is from 2019.

Edited by 0106

16 minutes ago, 0106 said:

you can always ask for an additional side of vegetables.

Yes. In my experience, vegetable portions are not large on any cruise line (well, the few that I've traveled with), but it's always OK to ask for additional portions, including vegetables that are being served with the other main dishes or, sometimes, even that aren't.

39 minutes ago, 3113Timmy said:

Thinking about going on the Voyage of the Vikings Rotterdam-Boston this summer via Iceland.

The Berlitz guide did not give an inspiring review of the included food on HAL ships, stating they were lacking in "passion and taste" and there is overuse on rice and iceberg lettuce and a deficiency in green vegetables (read: blatant cost-cutting). Food is a huge factor in choosing yea or nay on a cruise for me, I don't need lobster every night, but I don't accept boarding-house-grade-slop either.

Went on Royal Carribbean in Alaska 11 years ago and the food had no issues at all - every meal was tasty.

Any opinions?

Off the Rotterdam two weeks ago and thought the food was good, with the exception of the concrete almond cookies in the Grand Dutch Cafe. 

I do listen to the opinions of others but of course, food is subjective.  I pay little attention to blanket food opinions expressed by an individual who has not tasted everything on the menus.  I do value opinions on individual dishes and tend to avoid those with negative comments. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 8:23 PM, 3113Timmy said:

overuse on rice and iceberg lettuce and a deficiency in green vegetables (read: blatant cost-cutting).

Not my experience at all.....are you sure that is a reference to Holland America Line?

Was onboard 2 months ago and never ate iceberg (it lined my shrimp cocktail though) but had plenty of spring mix and romaine (great salad bar in lido).  Good veggies.....plentiful, delicious and many green ones!  Not sure I ever ate rice....but did enjoy noodles with my stir fry a time or two.   No shortage of pineapple or other fruit either.

Go enjoy. 

If rice comes with that particular entree you can always ask for a baked potato or any other kind of potato that is on the menu that night.  I have done this several times.   At our table one night someone asked for a side order of green beans and they brought enough for the whole table.  I like iceberg lettuce but never got it in the MDR, only at the Lido salad buffet. 

Enjoy!!

I’m not sure what’s wrong with your taste buds!  We have been on Royal Caribbean, Disney, Celebrity besides many, many, many HAL cruises.  By far, HAL has the best food!  RCCL does have good food in most specialty restaurants and do like the offer of shrimp cocktail every night.  Disney food is good, nothing fantastic.  They try to make everything to follow a theme.  Celebrity had good food as I remember, too.  BUT HAL’s food offerings win hands down.  Of course, neither myself or husband care for lobster which is a biggie for many! 

• Like 1

Food is so subjective but I’ve always found something I’ve enjoyed on every HAL ship I’ve sailed. It’s not haute cuisine but it’s hardly boarding house slop either haha. 

I wouldn’t compare to any line 11 years ago though. A lot has changed in that timeframe and most lines have cut back on some stuff since 2012. 

Also, iceberg lettuce is indeed a vegetable that is green. I’m a little biased but I enjoy it and get annoyed when I CAN’T find it places for a salad. I don’t want weeds like dandelion greens. Iceberg works perfectly for me lol. 

• Like 1