Ventura vs Aurora

steveso

My wife and I are looking at booking a 7 day Southampton to Southampton cruise at the end of June 2023 via Lisbon. There are 2 cruises with same itenerary within 2 days of each other.

I understand that Aurora is an adults only ship but this cruise is in school time. The Aurora is a bit more expensive but I also know the Ventura is undergoing a refit this Spring.

Does anyone know if there is any material difference between the 2 ships? (We are mid sixties).

Thanks

Aurora everytime for me.  It really is down to personal choice.  We have been on Ventura and enjoyed it but Aurora is smaller and quieter.  We avoid school holidays but every time that we have been on Ventura there have been quite a few children on board, probably because it is cheaper to pay the fines for taking the children out of school than to pay the higher prices that are prevalent during school holdays, but they have never been a problem for us.

• Like 2

Aurora was the largest P&O ship when launched and about twice the size of Titanic so not particularly small. Aurora has a small ratio of balconies compared to Ventura which makes these more expensive. Other benefits are a crows nest located at the front and a wrap around promenade deck with no steps and, as previously mentioned, a terraced stern which sheltered from the wind and very sunny when sailing north.

Brian

• Like 1

Ventura was the first ship we ever sailed on and every time we went back to it because of the Caribbean transatlantic. We found the layout easy to navigate choice of restaurants, bars etc were decent.  We then tried Azura (Sister ship) because it took Ventura's place in the Caribbean and have been going on her ever since. Just can't say about Aurora since I only have done a walk around on her.  

The front forwarding Crows Nest bar on Aurora is lovely and the ship will be quieter. The balcony cabins have settees. If you are going for a balcony some of those on Aurora are cut out of the side of the ship and only one deck has modern balconies. On Ventura deck C balconies are larger and the ship is more modern. Google photos. 

Aurora much preferred but depends if you want a standard  balcony cabin Ventura's are preferred especially C deck .We are booked July Aurora inside cabin and Ventura C deck balcony  September so both ships suit our choices .I would also choose Ventura when it's not kids holidays 

We like both ships. Pros and cons with both. 

Aurora 

Pros - Older passenger profile (circa 75 average) so quieter / Adult only / Crows Nest forward facing bar / level full circuit promenade deck / about the only P&O ship that I haven’t read poor reviews about lately!

Cons - Poor choice of speciality restaurants (and Sindhu is adjacent to the noisy atrium) / B deck is the only deck where the balconies are fully open (A and C deck are cut out of the hull so have slight enclosures at the corners)

Ventura 

Pros - Epicurean fine dining restaurant / bigger ship = more space to explore

Cons - No forward facing bar / promenade deck has raised section with steps at the front and it gets closed when windy / passenger profile younger so can be a bit more ‘lively’ (of course, for many that would be a positive) but not to the same degree as the biggest ships. 

The cabins on both ships are very dated, but we would happily go on either.

Sailed both azura and Ventura don't like azura round pool area with sea screen no cover if it's bad weather ,Ventura has the sliding roof and can be opened if it's good weather suppose arvia and iona should be compared the same one opening roof one doesn't although arvia has a sea screen round pool 

I’ve spent over 50 nights each on Ventura and Aurora and I like both of them. Aurora is a classy ship and the terraced stern is great during evening sailaways. There are/were some lovely recitals in the Playhouse during the longer cruises. It’s also adult only now which is a pro for some - I quite like seeing children around. With fewer passengers, it doesn’t get so busy in the ports, but then again, there might be other mega-ships in port the same day. That’s something I like to check when booking.  However you’re likely to get off and find a shuttle quicker.

Ventura is bigger and the cabins are similar. I suppose they’re both quite dated now. As I’ve said many times, Ventura in August is very different to Ventura in January. 

If both cruises have similar itineraries, I would probably go for Ventura if there was a considerable price difference. 

Edited by Ardennais