Staying in Mestre

Ajbike

Good Afternoon All,

For our October 7 cruise leaving out of Chioggia, I was thinking of staying in Mestre two day early and exploring Venice from there. it seems to me it would be easier to catch a cab or bus to Chioggia from there  and not have to lug luggage through Venice, trying to find a way to get to Chioggia that doesn't involve multiple water buses or a very expensive private water taxi. Anyone stayed in Mestre, what was your experience getting to and from Venice proper? I am a Marriott member and can get a very good deal on the 4 points which is rated very highly.

We stayed there a few years ago and found it to be a charming place to visit with lots of restaurants and shops and a wonderful town square.

Transport by cab was simple into Venice to start our cruise.

We would definitely stay there again in preference to Venice and since we have had that pleasure on two other visits we wouldn't feel cheated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ajbike said:

Good Afternoon All,

For our October 7 cruise leaving out of Chioggia, I was thinking of staying in Mestre two day early and exploring Venice from there. it seems to me it would be easier to catch a cab or bus to Chioggia from there  and not have to lug luggage through Venice, trying to find a way to get to Chioggia that doesn't involve multiple water buses or a very expensive private water taxi. Anyone stayed in Mestre, what was your experience getting to and from Venice proper? I am a Marriott member and can get a very good deal on the 4 points which is rated very highly.

Most of us will use Google or similar and find that it takes may hours and multiple modes of transport to get between Venice and Chioggia.  That isn't the case.  There are two direct bus routes that inexplicably do not appear on Google maps, but seem to offer excellent transfer options, particularly if your hotel is near Piazzale Roma or on the mainland in Mestre or similar.  They are run by Arriva Veneto which is part of the giant transport group Deutsche Bahn.

Linea 80 runs as a regular service from Venice to Sottomarina via Mestre and Chioggia; and Linea 85 (less frequently) from Marco Polo Airport, joining the same southerly route in Mestre.  Full timetables are here: https://www.arrivaveneto.it/en/timetables/

It's probably easiest to stay on until the end of the route in Sottomarina, and then get a 2km taxi from Piazza Europa to the ship, rather than getting off early and hiking through what appears to be an industrial port, but others may have more direct experience, as will I after our April cruise when I'll post an update.

As the maps on Arriva Vento's website are very basic, I've worked out the routes from the timetables and they should be visible here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1GKnTzrLlOs04a7FwHDXhxyJ_rWUFDt4&usp=sharing  

I think the fare for the entire route is €6.40 each way if you buy from a machine, and  €9.50 if bought on the bus: https://www.arrivaveneto.it/en/tariffe-biglietti/

I've never been a fan of day-tripping Venice.  I think that's how quite a few people end up disliking the place - you spend a lot of time walking through with a mob through the less nice areas around the bus and train stations.  

You can take the Alilaguna water bus (or more expensive water taxi) direct from the airport to various stops in central Venice.  Yes, hotels in Venice proper are expensive and often a bit quirky, but that goes with the territory.  

Two things that might push me towards staying in Mestre would be: 1) handling your bags is difficult for you, or 2) you really prefer a modern standardized type of hotel.  

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:12 PM, Ajbike said:

Good Afternoon All,

I, personally would not stay in Mestre for 2 nights, especially if you have never been in Venice at night. For me, Venice is magical in the evening. 
If you have been to Venice in the past, I would consider staying in

Chioggia, somewhere in the old town. 

Thank you Everyone, after discussing this with DW, she agrees that to really experience Venice we need to be in Venice not constantly going back and forth. So the search continues, finding a hotel in my budget, that is very close to a airport water bus stop (DW does not pack light  LOL), and is rated highly. Wish me luck !!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ajbike said:

Thank you Everyone, after discussing this with DW, she agrees that to really experience Venice we need to be in Venice not constantly going back and forth. So the search continues, finding a hotel in my budget, that is very close to a airport water bus stop (DW does not pack light  LOL), and is rated highly. Wish me luck !!

We’ve stayed at Hotel Giorgione a few times-about a 10 minute walk from Fondamenta Nuove stop on the Blue Line from the airport. The last time we stayed we were with our daughter and son-in-law so took a water taxi from the airport and were dropped off very close to the hotel.

42 minutes ago, Ajbike said:

Why not look for a hotel near the train station in Venice?  Our boarding ended up in Ravenna so I didn't get to try it, but Hotel Santa Chiara gets very good reviews and is an easy walk from the station.

37 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Why not look for a hotel near the train station in Venice?  Our boarding ended up in Ravenna so I didn't get to try it, but Hotel Santa Chiara gets very good reviews and is an easy walk from the station.

Hotel Antique Figure is also close to the railway station although across the canal, so you need to maneuver your luggage over a bridge.

It continues to be highly rated.