Giving tips on British Isles cruise

gunnywife

I'm sure this has been asked many times but I can't find the answer.

We are taking private transportation from Heathrow to Southampton.  There will be 5 of us in the van.  Do we tip this driver and would it be based on a percentage of the cost of the trip?  Seems like we should tip for the long drive and the fact that luggage is involved.

I understand that tips are not expected in cabs or pubs, though in pubs is might be appreciated.

Also, if using a wheelchair at the airport or cruise port should we tip?

And, when taking a ship tour do we tip the tour director and driver like we do in the States?

We're used to tipping here in the US so I sure want to tip where it's expected or appreciated, but I don't want to insult anyone.

Sound like I've never cruised before.  I have cruised many times but never with private transportation and never when using a wheelchair.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 12:23 PM, gunnywife said:

I'm sure this has been asked many times but I can't find the answer.

We are taking private transportation from Heathrow to Southampton.  There will be 5 of us in the van.  Do we tip this driver and would it be based on a percentage of the cost of the trip?  Seems like we should tip for the long drive and the fact that luggage is involved.

I understand that tips are not expected in cabs or pubs, though in pubs is might be appreciated.

Also, if using a wheelchair at the airport or cruise port should we tip?

And, when taking a ship tour do we tip the tour director and driver like we do in the States?

We're used to tipping here in the US so I sure want to tip where it's expected or appreciated, but I don't want to insult anyone.

Sound like I've never cruised before.  I have cruised many times but never with private transportation and never when using a wheelchair.

£5-10 for the transfer driver. Don't bother at all in the pubs. Tour guides and driver a couple of quid each depending how good they were. 

• Like 1

As Dave's post.

Tipping is the norm in the UK, but at nothing like the level in the US.

Most Brits would tip the transfer driver £5 - if you want to do likewise it'd be best to start practicing a British accent 😏.

And tour guide £1 to £2, tour driver £1 per couple or nothing at al.

Restaurants about 10% - unless there's a service charge, in which case no need to tip.

In all cases let the standard of service dictate. Poor service = zilch tip

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

Gunnywife,

We are on the Celebrity Silhouette sailing out of Southampton on July 13th! We were wondering what company are you using to go from Heathrow to Southampton? This is our first visit to the UK!

After lots of research I have booked Blackberry Cars.  There will be five of us with one collapsible walker so they have arranged for a van.  Our daughter and  son-in -law are coming in earlier and will have a car.  They answer your questions quickly.  And payment isn't expected until a week before the cruise. They told me where they will pick us up at the airport and will deliver us to our hotel in Southampton.

• 2 weeks later...