Passport pages

Tsunami74

Does anyone have any experience in wearing out passport pages before due for renewal?

We are on trans Atlantic on Riviera in March.

Our passports are down to about 3 blank pages each, and some of pages are not consecutive.

Our TA contacted Oceania but did not get concrete answers.

Unfortunately, we are traveling in February/early March so need the passports.

Hate to pay for a rush renewal job  (which may not work) since after the trans Atlantic cruise we have lots of time to renew.

You  are going to have to renew your passports.

From the State Dept.

Can I get extra visa pages for my passport? No, you cannot. Applicants who need additional pages in their valid passports must obtain a new passport by mail. Applicants within the United States may choose a 28-page or 52-page book.

3 pages is most likely enough for your upcoming cruise so I wouldn't worry about it yet. However you should get a new passport when you return home. It shouldn't matter if they're not consecutive blank pages.

If the current expiration date is more than a year away, you cannot renew. I am fairly certain of that. The expiration date has to be within a year in order to renew. Depending on when your passport expires,  the passport office would issue a new passport with the same expiration date.

I would contact the passport office for a clear explanation rather than relying on what your TA or Oceania says.

8 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

3 pages is most likely enough for your upcoming cruise so I wouldn't worry about it yet. However you should get a new passport when you return home. It shouldn't matter if they're not consecutive blank pages.

If the current expiration date is more than a year away, you cannot renew. I am fairly certain of that. The expiration date has to be within a year in order to renew. Depending on when your passport expires,  the passport office would issue a new passport with the same expiration date.

I would contact the passport office for a clear explanation rather than relying on what your TA or Oceania says.

Im not sure you are correct as if you run out of pages you MUST renew..so what else is there to do..I remember years ago I added pages so it was no problem..they wont let you do that today..

Found this...

How far in advance Can a passport be renewed?

nine months

There is no limit on how early you can renew your passport, but the U.S. Department of State3 suggests renewing it nine months before the expiration date.

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

6 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Im not sure you are correct as if you run out of pages you MUST renew..so what else is there to do..I remember years ago I added pages so it was no problem..they wont let you do that today..

Found this...

nine months

There is no limit on how early you can renew your passport, but the U.S. Department of State3 suggests renewing it nine months before the expiration date.

Jancruz1

Naïve question...but what is it about blank pages?  I was on a TA this past fall and they never stamped anything on passport in any of the countries we visited.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Naïve question...but what is it about blank pages?  I was on a TA this past fall and they never stamped anything on passport in any of the countries we visited.

Some counties do stamp and some don't..I hate to renew my passport as I have a Cuba stamp..

LOL

Jancruz1

37 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

The visa for some countries can take up a full page. That's why the pages need to be blank. A visa  sticker won't be put over a used page.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, susiesan said:

The visa for some countries can take up a full page. That's why the pages need to be blank. A visa  sticker won't be put over a used page.

Thank you!  None of the countries I visited required a Visa for Americans.

A related question.

Since we will be using our passports (to Mexico) before the cruise, has anyone used the postee note on the blank page to ask them to not use it?

Would hate for an agent to randomly pick a totally blank page and use it up. We have plenty of pages with one little stamp so there is plenty of room for more stamp marks.  

Because we are going to several different countries in SE Asia next month, we did the rush job since we were down to 3 1/2 pages.  You do  not have to be within a year of renewal to get a new passport (and we ordered the extra page one this time), you just have to pay a lot more and stay on top of it.  Renewal is now the only way to get more pages-we had more than 5 years left but no pages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Found this...

nine months

Jancruz1

I believe there is a difference between renewing a passport and issuing a new passport. Renewal means your passport is about to expire. If you have run out of pages, it sounds like the new procedure now is to have a new passport issued with the same expiration date. 

I have lived in foreign countries and have run out of pages. We would have to go to the embassy and have them add new pages. (Residence Visas and Travel Visas use a lot of pages). That was a simpler process than what they’re doing now by having to have a brand new passport issued. 

Like I said, my advice to the OP is call the passport office. My opinion is 3 blank pages for his upcoming cruise is adequate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

54 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

I believe there is a difference between renewing a passport and issuing a new passport. Renewal means your passport is about to expire. If you have run out of pages, it sounds like the new procedure now is to have a new passport issued with the same expiration date. 

I have lived in foreign countries and have run out of pages. We would have to go to the embassy and have them add new pages. (Residence Visas and Travel Visas use a lot of pages). That was a simpler process than what they’re doing now by having to have a brand new passport issued. 

Like I said, my advice to the OP is call the passport office. My opinion is 3 blank pages for his upcoming cruise is adequate. 

You're 0 for 2.

(1) You can renew any time. The expiration date of you current passport is irrelevant.

(2) No...if you're running out of pages since you can no longer get new pages added to your current passport you go through the ordinary renewal process and your new passport will expire in 10 years from the date it's issued. 

In addition, unless you've looked at the OP's itinerary and checked the requirements for each country the cruise will be calling on, how can you express an "opinion" that 3 blank pages for the upcoming cruise are adequate? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

11 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You're 0 for 2.

(1) You can renew any time. The expiration date of you current passport is irrelevant.

(2) No...if you're running out of pages since you can no longer get new pages added to your current passport you go through the ordinary renewal process and your new passport will expire in 10 years from the date it's issued. 

In addition, unless you've looked at the OP's itinerary and checked the requirements for each country the cruise will be calling on, how can you express an "opinion" that 3 blank pages for the upcoming cruise are adequate? 

Wow that's harsh. These boards are filled with opinions which I welcome but I'm not allowed to express mine?  

I've never been on any cruise or land tour traveling through many countries and I have never come close to using 3 pages on my passport. That includes any visas that may have been required.

Everyone is free to do whatever they feel is necessary but if it were me I wouldn't bother to get a new passport until I return home from this cruise.

That Is Just My Opinion.  Take it or leave it however you want to, just as I do other opinions expressed here. I really don't care. 

28 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You're 0 for 2.

To clear up any confusion,  this is from the US Department of State website:

You can renew online if:

1. Your most recent passport is/was valid for 10 years, and you are age 25 or older. 
  2. Your recent passport was issued over 9 years (in 2014) but less than 15 years (in 2008) from the date you plan to submit your application. Your passport can be expired. 
  3. If you do not qualify to renew online, you may be able to renew by mail or in-person. Go to our Renew page to learn more. 

You cannot renew online if your passport was issued less than 9 years ago. I hope this is helpful information for anyone looking to renew. 

Helping each other out is what these message boards are all about.

13 minutes ago, Tsunami74 said:

All opinions are welcome

But still trying to find an expedited service!

My TA does not know any

Do you mean to get the paperwork to the State dept  or the return of your passport?

I would think the USPS  would have some expedited  service

Do you have UPS/ FEDEX near you

USPS is 3-5 weeks expedited.

We were overly optimistic post covid and have trips scheduled every 2-3 weeks. 

There seems to be an emergency choice if you are within 2 weeks of needing it. 

I sure wouldn't want to wait that close,  so trying to be pro active.

Trying Fed Ex but it seems confusing!

2 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

Wow that's harsh. These boards are filled with opinions which I welcome but I'm not allowed to express mine?  

I've never been on any cruise or land tour traveling through many countries and I have never come close to using 3 pages on my passport. That includes any visas that may have been required.

Everyone is free to do whatever they feel is necessary but if it were me I wouldn't bother to get a new passport until I return home from this cruise.

That Is Just My Opinion.  Take it or leave it however you want to, just as I do other opinions expressed here. I really don't care. 

Expressions of opinion are inappropriate and of no bearing in matters that are strictly fact.

Whether more than three blank pages are needed is a factual matter based solely on the countries being visited and their requirements. Just because you haven't "come close to using 3 pages" on your passport doesn't mean others haven't. I certainly have on numerous occasions .  

2 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

To clear up any confusion,  this is from the US Department of State website:

You can renew online if:

1. Your most recent passport is/was valid for 10 years, and you are age 25 or older. 
  2. Your recent passport was issued over 9 years (in 2014) but less than 15 years (in 2008) from the date you plan to submit your application. Your passport can be expired. 
  3. If you do not qualify to renew online, you may be able to renew by mail or in-person. Go to our Renew page to learn more. 

You cannot renew online if your passport was issued less than 9 years ago. I hope this is helpful information for anyone looking to renew. 

Helping each other out is what these message boards are all about.

You quoted the procedures for the newly introduced online renewal process. 

The standard renewal by mail process does not include the "less than 9 years ago" restriction.

You're only helping people when you get your facts straight.

46 minutes ago, Tsunami74 said:

Are you using the info from this page? USPS Priority Mail Express (1-day) is the fast option (not FedEx).

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

If you are near Passport Agency/Center, an in person appointment is the fastest way.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

3 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

Has anybody used Fed Ex rush/my/passport?

50 minutes ago, Tsunami74 said:

You can't use FedEx, UPS, DHL or similar companies  because they can't deliver to the PO boxes used for passport renewals.

Only USPS is permitted from the USA, or Canada Post if you live in Canada.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

"If you live in the United States, you must use the United States Postal Service (USPS) to mail your renewal application and supporting documents. If you live in Canada, you should use Canada Post. Please do not use other delivery services such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL. Only USPS or Canada Post can deliver to the PO Box addresses listed on Form DS-82. If you use UPS, FedEx, DHL, or another company to send your application, the application will be returned to you."