Cut backs on P&O

sandancer

1 hour ago, Yorkypete said:

This is the usual answer  from those of us who can afford to cruise (a small percentage of the population). The view from many is that these people employed on ships are there soley for the benefit of  keeping prices down and it is not our problem if they are paid under the limits imposed by governments. My view is that they should be paid the going rate for their types of jobs and if some then cannot afford to cruise then tough luck.

So keep cruising for the rich that is your view, most of the employee's onboard are paid higher than there homeland rates.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

They was made redundant or there contracts paid up being put on furlough would have been complicated because they was not uk citizens or residents of uk, as for the ferry company did you believe this government would have done anything to them.

I think Moley said that some staff were furloughed, being part of the crew needed to maintain the hotel side of the ship for the officers needed to run the ships during covid, but clearly this was only a skeleton staff.

When furlough was ending the Travel Industry begged for extra help, as they anticipated the problems that would arise by making staff redundant as they knew it would take time to restart. Hence, as an example, the sacking of baggage handlers at airports and the ensuing issues we saw last year at airports when travel abroad took off but the staff did not return. 

Meanwhile, if any of you knows anyonw who would like to work on a cruise please direct them to P& O's recruitment page or their shop in West Quay.

And perhaps if any of you have governemnet contacts, can you lobby them to allow P&O to recruit from Europe- I'm thinking call handler jobs here as well as ship staff.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

No evidence on this thread of people using emotive words like 'sacked' wrongly.  Oh, except for in post 97.  Oh, and in post 100.  

And I admitted wrong use of the word and apologise.  However it remains no matter how you dress it up the people ceased to be employed and lost their jobs. Not their fault, not the cruise lines fault which I wasn't actually saying it was.  I stand by my comment someone who has lost their job was personally devastated no matter what name you label it.

No doubt you are highly familiar with UK unemployment rules and will know that from day 1 they would be pressured to take any job offered so hopefully became employed by someone else long before the cruise lines could reemploy them.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Cathygh said:

When furlough was ending the Travel Industry begged for extra help, as they anticipated the problems that would arise by making staff redundant as they knew it would take time to restart. Hence, as an example, the sacking of baggage handlers at airports and the ensuing issues we saw last year at airports when travel abroad took off but the staff did not return. 

Meanwhile, if any of you knows anyonw who would like to work on a cruise please direct them to P& O's recruitment page or their shop in West Quay.

And perhaps if any of you have governemnet contacts, can you lobby them to allow P&O to recruit from Europe- I'm thinking call handler jobs here as well as ship staff.

I raised the issue of employing EU & non EU staff for hospitality jobs in the U.K. with my MP, the response she gave was that the government has no intention of adding hospitality staff to the shortage of workers list and that employers need to be more creative in recruiting staff, whatever that means. I suspect the same answer would be given for call centre staff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I raised the issue of employing EU & non EU staff for hospitality jobs in the U.K. with my MP, the response she gave was that the government has no intention of adding hospitality staff to the shortage of workers list and that employers need to be more creative in recruiting staff, whatever that means. I suspect the same answer would be given for call centre staff. 

Probably want to save the jobs for the  "missing" oldies that they are convinced really must go back to work!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Probably want to save the jobs for the  "missing" oldies that they are convinced really must go back to work!

And ideology coming before common sense. 

Many oldies find it hard to stand on their feet all day which is one reason you don't see many working in hospitality. I know some oldies that do do it and they moan like mad about their legs, backs, and shift work.

The government might be hoping that younger people who are struggling financially will take on a second job, and then they can tax them on it.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 9:01 PM, molecrochip said:

. A lot of people have returned to the organisation however the call centre is suffering from the general people shortage for lower skilled & lower professional jobs.

Love the way you describe the call centre staff. If the job advert says that, they must be queuing all the way to Winchester.

26 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Many oldies find it hard to stand on their feet all day which is one reason you don't see many working in hospitality. I know some oldies that do do it and they moan like mad about their legs, backs, and shift work.

The government might be hoping that younger people who are struggling financially will take on a second job, and then they can tax them on it.

Perhaps P&O they can add that to the job advert for call centre staff.  " no skill required, but must be able to sit down all day ".🤣

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Just my opinion but there are  younger people out there who are claiming benefits that are higher than what they would earn working 2 minimum pay jobs so there is no incentive for them to work. 

Not everyone has a private pension so perhaps the oldies who are working into their 70s and 80s are doing so because they only have state pension to live on. I know that if we didn't have occupational pensions our standard of living would be a lot lower than what we currently  enjoy.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 10:56 PM, terrierjohn said:

I think Moley said that some staff were furloughed, being part of the crew needed to maintain the hotel side of the ship for the officers needed to run the ships during covid, but clearly this was only a skeleton staff.

Having re-read posts I wonder how many officers were 'furloughed'?

49 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Love the way you describe the call centre staff. If the job advert says that, they must be queuing all the way to Winchester.

The adverts are quite enlightening on the Indeed website. A lot state you must have experience of at least a year in the travel industry or a call centre. I'd guess that's going to rule out quite a few old or young.  A great number of the jobs are home based and can be done part time.  A lot of the staff required are:

"The Role

Holiday bookings are up, the ships are back to service, and that means we need to grow our contact centre to keep up with demand! We have various roles within the department, all crucial roles in the customer journey, each forming part of the jigsaw that completes the guest’s holiday.

Duties Include:

• Acting as the first point of contact for guests and travel agents by phone
  • Booking fantastic cruises with guests over the phone, as well as adding holiday extras such as cabin upgrades
  • Answering questions and queries from guests and travel agents, giving advice tailored to guest needs
  • Dealing with guest complaints by phone and email, resolving as quickly as possible

About You

• Excellent customer service skills, with the desire to go the extra mile for our guests
  • Experience within a contact centre/high volume/customer service role
  • A flair for sales and hitting targets
  • Travel industry experience would be a bonus!
  • Flexibility to work shift patterns – between 8:30am – 6pm Monday to Saturday
  • We can offer you hybrid working (2 days per week in the office) or fully remote – we can discuss at interview with you!"

Benefits:

"As a Carnival UK colleague you can enjoy a range of benefits including:

• HUGE, discounted cruise with Cunard and P&O Cruises plus late availability offers
  • Flexible hybrid working
  • Excellent career opportunities
  • Minimum 25 days of holidays and option for holiday trading
  • Contributory Defined Pension scheme
  • Company paid Health Cash Plan
  • Company paid Health Assessment
  • Employee Shares Plan
  • Life Assurance
  • Cycle to work
  • Access to digital GP
  • Opportunity to join employee led networks
  • Extensive learning and development opportunities
  • Employee assistance programme
  • Shopping discounts portal
  • Opportunities to undertake short secondments on our fantastic ships to support the on board sales team through busy periods"

That doesn't sound too bad and the benefits look good too.  I notice no mention of salary, though. I have seen local adverts suggesting £10.50 a hour is average but that's not definite.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

The adverts are quite enlightening on the Indeed website. A lot state you must have experience of at least a year in the travel industry or a call centre. I'd guess that's going to rule out quite a few old or young.  A great number of the jobs are home based and can be done part time.  A lot of the staff required are:

"The Role

Holiday bookings are up, the ships are back to service, and that means we need to grow our contact centre to keep up with demand! We have various roles within the department, all crucial roles in the customer journey, each forming part of the jigsaw that completes the guest’s holiday.

Duties Include:

• Booking fantastic cruises with guests over the phone, as well as adding holiday extras such as cabin upgrades
  • Answering questions and queries from guests and travel agents, giving advice tailored to guest needs
  • Dealing with guest complaints by phone and email, resolving as quickly as possible

About You

• Excellent customer service skills, with the desire to go the extra mile for our guests
  • We can offer you hybrid working (2 days per week in the office) or fully remote – we can discuss at interview with you!"

Benefits:

• HUGE, discounted cruise with Cunard and P&O Cruises plus late availability offers
  • Employee Shares Plan
  • Life Assurance
  • Cycle to work
  • Access to digital GP
  • Opportunities to undertake short secondments on our fantastic ships to support the on board sales team through busy periods"

That doesn't sound too bad and the benefits look good too.  I notice no mention of salary, though. I have seen local adverts suggesting £10.50 a hour is average but that's not definite.

They missed one out -

"Experience of working with an absolutely *rap IT system... 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

"The Role

Duties Include:

About You

Benefits:

• Employee Shares Plan
  • Life Assurance
  • Cycle to work
  • Access to digital GP

It’s time it was made law that salary should be included in all job adverts. 

I have gone for jobs in the past based on the role description which seemed attractive, but when asked at end of interview what the salary was, often found it was less than I was currently earning, but for a job with more responsibilities. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

"The Role

Duties Include:

About You

Benefits:

• Employee Shares Plan
  • Life Assurance
  • Cycle to work
  • Access to digital GP

So just 8p an hour above the new minimum wage for those 23 and over from April. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

"The Role

Duties Include:

About You

Benefits:

• Employee Shares Plan
  • Life Assurance
  • Cycle to work
  • Access to digital GP

According to a certain executive, 99.9% of their staff apparently report a great work experience no matter what the pay and perks...🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

According to a certain executive, 99.9% of their staff apparently report a great work experience no matter what the pay and perks...🤣

Also word has it, if you book an inside saver cabin ,they get very excited about it,

More so once they know your cabin allocation .😉

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

Also word has it, if you book an inside saver cabin ,they get very excited about it,

More so once they know your cabin allocation .😉

Deck 15 under the Dome on Arvia is apparently the most exciting place if you're not requiring sleep ... 

• Haha 5