Whittier - Anchorage - Whittier

ambergem142

Hi everyone,

I would be most grateful for some help from some experienced Alaska cruisers.

We are doing a 14 day cruise that has a port stop in Whittier - all the tours that Princess are currently offering, only seem to be available for those on the cruise that are going to the airport so I was hoping for help with the following:

1. Is is likely that Princess will offer some tours for those staying on the boat either closer to sailing or when we get on the boat?

2. Does anyone have any recommendations on how we get from Whittier to Anchorage and back without having to hire a car (we are from New Zealand so not comfortable with driving in another country), and being able to have a decent amount of time in Anchorage before having to be back on the boat.

3. Are there any third party companies that do return tours from Whittier?

Please note:  We have seen the one tour that seems to be available for 26 glaciers but we will be seeing plenty of glaciers on our cruise so are not currently interested in this particular tour.

We have seen that there is a Wildlife Centre between Whittier and Anchorage that looks fun - just not sure how to get there and back on time so any guidance for this would be great.

Thank you all so much in advance. 

Amber.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ambergem142 said:

Hi everyone,

I would be most grateful for some help from some experienced Alaska cruisers.

We are doing a 14 day cruise that has a port stop in Whittier - all the tours that Princess are currently offering, only seem to be available for those on the cruise that are going to the airport so I was hoping for help with the following:

1. Is is likely that Princess will offer some tours for those staying on the boat either closer to sailing or when we get on the boat?

2. Does anyone have any recommendations on how we get from Whittier to Anchorage and back without having to hire a car (we are from New Zealand so not comfortable with driving in another country), and being able to have a decent amount of time in Anchorage before having to be back on the boat.

Please note:  We have seen the one tour that seems to be available for 26 glaciers but we will be seeing plenty of glaciers on our cruise so are not currently interested in this particular tour.

We have seen that there is a Wildlife Centre between Whittier and Anchorage that looks fun - just not sure how to get there and back on time so any guidance for this would be great.

Thank you all so much in advance. 

Amber.

Watching with interest as we are doing 14 day return from Vancouver and anchorage is our turn around. I actually booked the 26 glacier tour via princess, wondering the same thing of would we already have seen plenty but it was the only one on offer. I did think as it’s a smaller boat that there might be a different experience. So I will be following with interest.

we are travelling from Australia and have no interest in driving in another country and prefer the option of using Princess excursion so no pressure we delayed excursions.

• Like 1

You could do the Glacier Discovery train from the Alaska Railroad: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/our-trains/glacier-discovery

Or see what Bear Valley Road Runner offers: https://www.bearvalleyroadrunner.com/

Or hire BAC Transportation and put together a custom visit: https://www.bactrans.com/

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, AKStafford said:

You could do the Glacier Discovery train from the Alaska Railroad: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/our-trains/glacier-discovery

Or see what Bear Valley Road Runner offers: https://www.bearvalleyroadrunner.com/

Or hire BAC Transportation and put together a custom visit: https://www.bactrans.com/

Hi AKStafford,

Thanks for the recommendations.

Not sure if I'm missing something but I found the rail site a bit hard to navigate - I couldn't find anything obvious that goes from Whittier to Anchorage and then returns to Whittier?  If you could offer more guidance on how it works, that would be super.

I'll look further into the other two, thank you.

I actually would recommend the 26 Glacier Tour. While you will see plenty of glaciers, each glacier day is different and it is much better when you get on a small boat up to the glaciers. This tour is outstanding.

In the past Princess has offered 3 tours that day. The 26 Glacier Tour, a kayak tour (I believe) and a day trip to Anchorage. Though a friend has signed up for the day trip to Anchorage and it has been cancelled several times for lack of interest.

Not sure if you have seen glaciers before or been to Alaska but I have done Alaska a ton, I have seen many glaciers and look forward each time to seeing them as they change constantly and IMO - this 26 Glacier Tour is outstanding. You really get close to glaciers. Much closer than if you are on a large ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Princess used to offer dedicated tours for b2b passengers in Whittier. We had 700 b2b passengers on our May trip last year with many struggling to find something to do. A rental works the best and there’s only one road to Anchorage so not a difficult drive but spectacular along Turnagain Arm.

Since you’re on Princess you will most likely be doing College Fjord and the 26 Glacier Cruise may be a bit of the same although a much better experience on the small boat.  If you do one of these trips check out the Glacier Quest Cruise from Phillips if you don’t want to revisit College Fjord.

12 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

Princess used to offer dedicated tours for b2b passengers in Whittier. We had 700 b2b passengers on our May trip last year with many struggling to find something to do. A rental works the best and there’s only one road to Anchorage so not a difficult drive but spectacular along Turnagain Arm.

Since you’re on Princess you will most likely be doing College Fjord and the 26 Glacier Cruise may be a bit of the same although a much better experience on the small boat.  If you do one of these trips check out the Glacier Quest Cruise from Phillips if you don’t want to revisit College Fjord.

I actually thought it was much better than doing the ship's cruise through College Fiords because you do get much closer. Though my opinion. I have done College Fiords several times and found this boat ride superior.

In the past, the tours offered for B2B cruisers are sometimes not on the website but will be available on the ship.

• Like 2

It’s most certainly a better experience on the small boat. Last year on Princess we only made it as far as College Point so missed up close viewing of Harvard Glacier.  The 26 Glacier Cruise also transits Esther Passage which is very nice. It did sound though that the OP was looking for a little different experience.

With the covid issues and related difficulties of finding employees in 2022, hopefully those b2b excursions will return.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I actually would recommend the 26 Glacier Tour. While you will see plenty of glaciers, each glacier day is different and it is much better when you get on a small boat up to the glaciers. This tour is outstanding.

In the past Princess has offered 3 tours that day. The 26 Glacier Tour, a kayak tour (I believe) and a day trip to Anchorage. Though a friend has signed up for the day trip to Anchorage and it has been cancelled several times for lack of interest.

Not sure if you have seen glaciers before or been to Alaska but I have done Alaska a ton, I have seen many glaciers and look forward each time to seeing them as they change constantly and IMO - this 26 Glacier Tour is outstanding. You really get close to glaciers. Much closer than if you are on a large ship.

That’s good to hear. 

53 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

It’s most certainly a better experience on the small boat. Last year on Princess we only made it as far as College Point so missed up close viewing of Harvard Glacier.  The 26 Glacier Cruise also transits Esther Passage which is very nice. It did sound though that the OP was looking for a little different experience.

With the covid issues and related difficulties of finding employees in 2022, hopefully those b2b excursions will return.

I agree the OP was looking for a different experience. My point was that 26 Glacier boat ride is an entirely different experience than seeing College Fiords via ship. And I rarely hear someone has been "glaciered out" after experiencing them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ambergem142 said:

If you could offer more guidance on how it works, that would be super.

So the Glacier Discovery train starts in Anchorage in the morning, but visits Whittier going and coming.

You can see the schedule here, just click on the arrow for the Glacier Discovery Train: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/schedules

Another vote for 26 Glacier Tour. This area of the world is so beautiful with their glaciers. There are only a few other places where you can see so many glaciers so close to each other. Take it in. Going to Anchorage is not as exciting. Anchorage is a city.

18 hours ago, ambergem142 said:

2. As to Anchorage, the main difficulty is that regularly scheduled transportation from Whittier to Anchorage generally leaves little time in Anchorage before having to turn around and head back to Whittier. Let's examine details.

From Whittier to Anchorage

Alaska Cruise Transportation departs Whittier 8:45 a.m. arrives Anchorage 11:30 a.m.

Park Connection departs Whittier 9:45 a.m., arrives Anchorage 11:45 a.m.

Alaska Cruise Transportation departs Whittier 11:45 a.m., arrives Anchorage 2:30 p.m.

Alaska Railroad departs Whittier 6:45 p.m., arrives Anchorage 9:00 p.m.

From Anchorage to Whittier

Alaska Cruise Transportation departs Anchorage 9:00 a.m., arrives Whittier 11:45 a.m.

Alaska Railroad departs Anchorage 9:45 a.m., arrives Whittier 12:05 p.m.

Alaska Cruise Transportation departs Anchorage 2:00 p.m., arrives Whittier 4:45 p.m.

Park Connection departs Anchorage 3:00 p.m., arrives Whittier 5:00 p.m.

So you could have as long as 3-1/2 hours in Anchorage, were you to travel on the first departure of Alaska Cruise Transportation from Whittier at 8:45 a.m., and then return to Whittier on Park Connection at 3:00 p.m. Anchorage is a city, and offers many of the attractions of visiting cities.

3. The Alaska Railroad does offer excursions from Whittier that are well-timed with the vessel schedule. The "Glacier Discovery" train from Anchorage picks up passengers in Whittier at 12:45 p.m., and then travels southward into backcountry for any of several excursions. The train then returns to Whittier, where passengers are dropped of at 6:05 p.m., and then the train heads back to Anchorage.

Excursions available include (1) alighting from the train at Spencer, then exploring the backcountry for approximately 3 hours, including a guided hike to the glacier overlook with a Chugach National Forest Service Ranger; (2) alighting from the train at Spencer, then a "mellow" float provided by experienced and professional guides, between dazzling icebergs, with a panoramic view of Spencer Glacier and the surrounding mountains as a backdrop, and after exploring amid the icebergs on Spencer Lake, continuing down the pristine Placer River, still affording grand views of the mountains and hanging glaciers, until pulling over to the riverbank for train reboarding; and (3) remaining on the train beyond Spencer, continuing a scenic journey to Grandview, during which Bartlett Glacier and Trail Glacier come into view, and for which many consider this the most scenic stretch of track, as the train winds along the Placer River Valley and amid the alpine meadows of Grandview.

Edited by GTJ
  • Like 1