"Guarantee Cabin"??

TACoor

Is this something new, not being able to select a cabin, it will be assigned just before sailing? We haven't sailed since before covid, but in the past I have always carefully chosen our cabin location - not right at the elevators, cabins on the deck above and below (not over or under potentially noisy public venues), prefer not adjoining rooms. I'm just not happy about being placed wherever they put us. Is there any way to actually select a cabin at booking?

3 minutes ago, TACoor said:

Is this something new, not being able to select a cabin, it will be assigned just before sailing? We haven't sailed since before covid, but in the past I have always carefully chosen our cabin location - not right at the elevators, cabins on the deck above and below (not over or under potentially noisy public venues), prefer not adjoining rooms. I'm just not happy about being placed wherever they put us. Is there any way to actually select a cabin at booking?

Sometimes you're not able to select your stateroom. Varying opinions have been cited on Cruise Critic for why. I won't get into those.

If you contact a travel agent or NCL, you would be able to select an available stateroom.

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

Sometimes you're not able to select your stateroom. Varying opinions have been cited on Cruise Critic for why. I won't get into those.

If you contact a travel agent or NCL, you would be able to select an available stateroom.

I will say depending on how close the sailing date is a lot of times they only guarantee you a cabin category. I booked a RCCL cruise 3 days from sailing because my NCL cruise was canceled 48 hours before sailing. May I ask how far out your booking? 

Sometimes a cabin category is sold at a low/bargain price. As a trade-off for the lower price, you give up the option to select your own cabin. The "sail-away" rate is an example of this. You can get around this by selecting a category that is not being sold under this condition (iow, pay more $$$).

Sometimes demand for a category might exceed expectations before unsold cabins held by TAs are released. When this occurs, the category will also go to guarantee status and you will not have the option to select your own cabin. However, if you happen to be working with one of those TAs that is holding unsold inventory, then you would be able to select a cabin from the ones that the TA is holding.

The concept of the guarantee cabin is certainly not new. Here is a Cruise Critic article that you might find interesting: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=337

Edited by SeaShark

2 hours ago, wolft927 said:

I will say depending on how close the sailing date is a lot of times they only guarantee you a cabin category. I booked a RCCL cruise 3 days from sailing because my NCL cruise was canceled 48 hours before sailing. May I ask how far out your booking? 

Looking at both mid-February and April.

3 hours ago, TACoor said:

The cabin class is sold out and the are only taking guarantees. Call and see if you can get an assigned cabin (for a lot more money). 

Sometimes there are many available staterooms in a category (example BA balcony) but NCL website will only show a three category choices such as Aft Facing Balcony, Balcony, Sailaway Balcony.  If you choose the aft facing balcony you can take their offered stateroom or click choose a different stateroom.  If you click on the Balcony it comes up Guarantee Stateroom where you could be assigned a balcony on any deck and in any location. There is no option to click on for choose a different stateroom.   Ditto for the Sailaway Balcony option.

I am also particular about my stateroom location.  When I'm researching a cruise I use a couple travel agency sites, one in particular who shows all available staterooms in a category, not the usual 15 NCL used to show.  I pick out a  stateroom that works for me, then call my PCC and have him check to be sure it is available.  I have a backup choice if needed. 

Example  Norwegian Star April 15, 2023.  There are 100 BA balconies available,

23 on deck 10 and 77 on deck 9.   These do not appear on NCL website which has the BA's lumped into the Balcony option where you get any balcony they assign you.

Once I'm booked unless I'm in love with the stateroom I chose I keep an eye on the sailing to see if a better location stateroom in the same category opens up.  My PCC has no problem in changing the stateroom location when requested.

It was disheartening to see that NCL can take away your stateroom and give you something else but it appears that rarely happens so not going to stress over it.  So far my luck has been good.

Edited by kjquilts

38 minutes ago, kjquilts said:

Example  Norwegian Star April 15, 2023.  There are 100 BA balconies available,

23 on deck 10 and 77 on deck 9.   These do not appear on NCL website which has the BA's lumped into the Balcony option where you get any balcony they assign you.

Exactly. I can see (and book) any stateroom on the sailing I want...but not at ncl.com. Definitely a limitation on their site to force the vast majority of cruisers that don't know better into whatever stateroom NCL determines.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Exactly. I can see (and book) any stateroom on the sailing I want...but not at ncl.com. Definitely a limitation on their site to force the vast majority of cruisers that don't know better into whatever stateroom NCL determines.

If the system assigns you a cabin, click on the link to pick another room. It will then give you options on location on the ship (which drives cost). 

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If the system assigns you a cabin, click on the link to pick another room. It will then give you options on location on the ship (which drives cost). 

Using NCL Star April 15, 2023 option (Not Signed In to NCL) shown in post #9 - after selecting Balcony from the three balcony options the NCL system does not assign a cabin so there is no link to click on to pick another room.  The top of the page shows balcony guarantee, shows the price and asks for the guest information (name, dob, phone number and email address) and offers the NCL insurance options.  There is a Continue Box at the bottom of the page which I'm guessing would bring you to payment page. 

12 hours ago, kjquilts said:

Using NCL Star April 15, 2023 option (Not Signed In to NCL) shown in post #9 - after selecting Balcony from the three balcony options the NCL system does not assign a cabin so there is no link to click on to pick another room.  The top of the page shows balcony guarantee, shows the price and asks for the guest information (name, dob, phone number and email address) and offers the NCL insurance options.  There is a Continue Box at the bottom of the page which I'm guessing would bring you to payment page. 

However, I am able to see all the rooms on deck 9 and 10 (BA Balcony category), and can select them. But, this is only if someone who wanted to book a room either a) called NCL to book, or 2) use a travel agent with access to the Norwegian booking system. Unfortunately, many potential cruisers don't realize this and just book a guarantee (since that's what NCL's consumer site forces them into). That's definitely one advantage of using a PCC or travel agent. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 2:24 PM, TACoor said:

Nope not new at all.  GTY cabins include no FAS options.  You can select a cabin at booking by choosing a cabin type higher than GTY.  Sometimes close to sailing, all that is left is GTY.

On 1/22/2023 at 7:05 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Not a limitations at all.  Most of what you see on other sites are cabind that have been assigned to TAs etc and thus are not available at NCL.  They are not forcing anyone to do anything, let alone a "vast majority".

25 minutes ago, Arrow34 said:

Sigh... same issue.  Bored thinking I was getting a assigned club balcony cabin,  only to find out,  if I want to get a cabin assignment,  it will be $300 more. 

It has been that way for a long time.  NCL offers cheaper cabin rates to those who do not mind taking whatever cabin is available.  It is more a case of paying $300 LESS if you take a 'you get what you get" cabin rather than being able to pick exactly what you want.

10 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Not a limitations at all.  Most of what you see on other sites are cabind that have been assigned to TAs etc and thus are not available at NCL.  They are not forcing anyone to do anything, let alone a "vast majority".

Actually, I see exactly what the NCL agents see. I wouldn't see rooms that have been blocked by TA's, but I see everything else available to book, even when the only option at ncl.com is a Guaranty room.

If someone wants to go on a cruise, and does not use a travel agent (and is not smart enough to call NCL), they are forced into selecting a guaranty room...which is why this thread exists.

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Nope not new at all.  GTY cabins include no FAS options.  You can select a cabin at booking by choosing a cabin type higher than GTY.  Sometimes close to sailing, all that is left is GTY.

Sailaway Guarantee offers no FAS.

Regular Guarantee does. 🙂

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Arrow34 said:

Unfortunately I did call,  they want more money to change my room from the ncl website guarantee room. 

What sailing are you looking at? I'm curious to see the number of club balconies available (based on what you said it sounds like possibly none).

16 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

What sailing are you looking at? I'm curious to see the number of club balconies available (based on what you said it sounds like possibly none).

Jewel may 1, there are still club balcony rooms left,  but they will charge me for them,  otherwise aft  club rooms

17 hours ago, Arrow34 said:

Unfortunately I did call,  they want more money to change my room from the ncl website guarantee room. 

That is the difference between paying to select a room and a Guarantee room (which you could get an o.k. room, or you could get that room that no one else wanted (e.g., over a night club or under the kids splash area where you'll hear the water bucket dumping on your head ever minute or two). 

1 hour ago, Arrow34 said:

Jewel may 1, there are still club balcony rooms left,  but they will charge me for them,  otherwise aft  club rooms

Contact a TA or NCL. There are 19 club balcony suites available. These are $50 more than the guaranty rate as @BirdTravels mentioned above. That's the average price difference between a guaranty and choose your own room. I do see that at ncl.com you're not able to select a room, but if you call or talk with a TA, they will be able to select your room for that $50 difference. To me, that's cheap to have the freedom to select a room. 

• Like 1